CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Does anyone ever get sick of having so much power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone ever get sick of having so much power?

I love my hurricane, I love liter+ bikes in general. I love the sound, the torque, that feeling that the world just might end as the tacho approaches 10k, and the old 1000F isnt even that powerful a bike by todays standards.

But I have been having second thoughts lately. It's just that I can never really use the power. there is basically no-where on a public road where you can sensibly take a 1000f engine up to the redline in any gear. even in 1st the acceleration is so aggressive it's hard to focus on everything you should be, even think about the doing it in 2nd and you are begging for the attention of the po-po.

I realised it the other day while I was riding into the city, I was merging onto a motorway which I often see the police patrolling, I was on an on-ramp that has 2 lanes merge into 1, I saw the driver of a car beside me look over at me then accelerate. "silly man" I thought and wacked the throttle through 1st and 2nd, I probably only took it to 7-8K (barely off the torque wave!) and by the time I was on the motorway my speedo said I was in instant disqualification territory if Mr Plod happened to be around the bend. Risking walking for 3 months and I didn't even have any fun!

I generally don't behave like that in built up areas though, but even on my fave country roads, when Can I ever unleash all 130 HP?

The opposite end to the scale is the little across 250 my fiance is stuck on, I sometimes ride that to work for kicks. Power is so bad on that bike I am constantly checking the tune on it to figure out what's wrong, but you can wring it's scrawny neck.

Flat shifting, 17K rpm redline through 1st, 2nd and 3rd and still only bending the law in all but the slowest school zones. I can come off the Sydney harbour bridge, shift down into 2nd with 12k on the tacho, drop it into a hardish lean to take the first exit into the city and roll on the 'power' a clutchless shift into 3rd just before the valves bounce at the exit of the corner and I'm not even breaking any laws!

The problem is I once nearly lost to a people mover off the line one day at the traffic light gp... (I think he missed second gear, thank god)

Anyway, I'm not thinking of selling up for a 250 anytime soon, but I am saddened by the fact that I can never really unleash my baby...

Tim

Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

Too much power? you are kidding right?

I am not happy unless the tach is in the red

too much power - i need more power

Aussie Johnno

Old 09-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Have you tried pulling a couple of spark plug leads?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 AM

...If I weighed less than 100kg I could race buckets on the weekend...

::Edit:: just to clarify for those not living in this corner of the world - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket_racing

Last edited by cooltim; 09-23-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

You would need to pull three leads to make it into a bucket racer. Would suspect it would have some starting and smoothness issues though?

Wouldn't that be some embarrassing, to get get whipped by a CB125?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 AM

Surely I wouldn't be 'whipped', I'd still have 250cc's of unbalanced, over-weighted power...

It would be more like being beaten by a "small margin"

Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM

In general, the bike has more power than I need. Throttle control is essential when rolling on the gas during a corner in lower gears. But in the past, I found 500CC bikes under powered whenever I would ride with someone on the back.

Last edited by axehind; 09-23-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Never

THEY NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH POWER!!!!

And sometimes never enough.

Dub

Old 09-23-2011, 01:51 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I save mine in spurts...2-3 second spurts....take is to near redline...then back off...we are street riding so, better not riding so hard for too long...I never complaint too much power...I just respect it in a way I squeeze once a while...but if you think the 1000 is too much, toucan go down to 600 with a much more high revvv spurts & twistes handling feel, instead of pure HP...

Old 09-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try chasing down and getting ahead of a zx14, Busa, S1000RR, MVA F4CC,
RSV1000R or even an R1 ..

So if you are frustrated at not being able to wind her up good just imagine how
the riders of these high priced flyers must feel too ...lol

Quick Reply: Does anyone ever get sick of having so much power?