CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Dead Speedo/Odemeter

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dead Speedo/Odemeter

Okay, really looking for some help on this ALMOST exact same issue. My speedometer doesn't work, but the odometer and the Trip work fine. Is that the same thing you were having issues with? If so, exactly how much work did you have to do to replace it and where did you get the part at? I am having problems finding parts for this bike in my area as it is an older bike. In fact, I couldn't even get a hold of the tail turn signal bulb. Please give me all the info you have on this issue. I am riding, not having the SLIGHTEST clue of how fast I am going. Also I am about to have someone replace the clutch in the bike, as anyone had to do that yet and what is an acceptable price range to have that done?

Old 12-03-2006, 07:08 PM

Boy, am I glad I read this thread! Yup, my speedo started bouncing and reading low - especially when I first started off in the mornings. I was beginning to think that my speedo was dying. Then I read your stuff and checked my little plastic cap and it had wear marks where the bolt head had been slipping inside it. Fortunately I had a spare cover in the garage and so I just swapped them over - hey presto, a stable needle and no under-reading. Thanks guys!

But I had a look at the broken one and couldn't see any way of removing the plastic cap from the alloy housing. Guess I'm being dumb - is there something I'm missing here?????

Old 12-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: snotter
But I had a look at the broken one and couldn't see any way of removing the plastic cap from the alloy housing. Guess I'm being dumb - is there something I'm missing here?????
There is a flat tang that extends from the housing with the spedo drive. It simply extends into the plastic part through a slot. All you need t do is pull the plastic part off. There may be some crap built up inside the plastic part and you may need to give it a tug.

chrisboothe: If the trip and odometer are working, the probles is not the same. It sounds like the trouble is up top in the gages. Bummer!

Old 12-05-2006, 11:45 AM

OK, thanks. I'll experiment on the broken one first. I tried pulling it away from the cover before, guess I just didn't pull hard enough. I'll use a couple of old screwdrivers to see if I can lever it out.

By the way, I have a spare speedo head (whenever I see parts going cheap I buy them so now I have quite a hoard in my garage!) that read around 20k miles. I thought I may need it when my speedo started bouncing a reading low, but now it's just a spare again. Anyway, I was messing around with it, and discovered that these must be one of the easiest vehicles to 'clock' in the entire world! You can just click each numbered wheel round by hand - so resetting it to zero was a simple 2 minute job. I wonder how many people have bought a low mileage bike that really had interstallar mileage?!?!?!?!?

Old 12-06-2006, 05:45 PM

Thanks TimBucTwo for the advice about the tang - I separated the plastic wheel easily. A surprise was that it had been spinning round on the tang even more than the bolt head!