CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

To de-link the brakes or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: To de-link the brakes or not?

Thanks for more input fellas.
I agree that in the wet (or on dirt roads) the linked brakes work well. But the slow speed stuff definately is a problem. The wet grass scenario would illustrate this really well.
I think I'll de-link and see how it feels. If I don't like it I can always re-link.
Does the front brake lever only operate one piston on each side, and the brake pedal the other? If so, do I need to do some extra plumbing to make the lever operate both pistons?
I get the feeling that linked brakes are a half measure towards abs, which, as I know from my car is fantastic ('roos jumping out at night on a dirt road). Nobody can pump the brakes that fast to aviod locking it up.
The obvious step would be to buy a 'bird, but apart from not wanting to go into debt.....ok more debt.....I really like the f model. I think in time it will be one of those classic bikes like the 750four, Z900 etc. and I don't really need more top speed anyway.
It's just getting cold here now, so you blokes on the Northern side should be much happier now with no ice or salt on the roads.
Ride safe guys, Dave.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it the way it is!! Better braking and better reaction time!!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: davethepom

I think I'll de-link and see how it feels. If I don't like it I can always re-link.
And here'show to do it (apparently): De-linking Brakes
https://cbrforum.com/fb.asp?m=28272

Old 05-25-2007, 10:36 AM

I still think it is better to leave it the way HONDA entendit for it to be!!! De linking the braks will make it hard to stop fast with this big bike!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 01:03 PM

Think of old school did you need link brakes i burn my rear brakes when i go for a ride to stop noise dive

Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 PM

At first I liked the linked brakes on my bike quite a bit. It allowed me to favor the either the pedal or the lever with equal-enough reaction from the bike. Now that I've started to push this bike hard I do not like them at all. So I would say DE-LINK them.

Like mentioned already you cannot effectively trail brake in corners, the front end activation will stand you right up and force you outside. I learned that the hard way. Due to slow reaction on my part I rubbed a guardrail at 75mph...oops.

Also if you like to bring the front end off the ground the linked system should go in my opinion. I do not like that when I use the "rear" brake to bring the front end back down, it locks up the front wheel. This not only slams the front down quicker but can also be dangerous if you're still on the brake when the tire sets down....

Old 05-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Are you confusing trail braking with using the rear brake to back in in?

Trail braking is when you use the front brake at max at first and then trail it off to zero gradually as you get to the apex. This keeps the front compress to sharpen the steering.

But also you can achieve different results buy using different pads on the front and rear.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Trips

Are you confusing trail braking with using the rear brake to back in in?
Perhaps, I don't know much of terminology for braking....lol.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM

Keep them liked!!! I foun mine to brakeok when i push the bike hard

Old 05-31-2007, 01:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Once you de-link you can't go back because it requires you to drill a hole from the center piston to the pipe that connects the two outer pistons.

HeavyCBR, I have also been on up against the guardrail while on the rubble on the shoulder, more than once due to the LBS. It is real scary there.

The other problem with the LBS is that you can’t pick a clean line from outside-inside apex-outside. With LBS the bike will either fall to the inside of the line when both breaks were released or simply stand up and push you wide when applied. I would always zig-zag through turns. The fastest way through turns with the LBS that I found was to drop down two or three gears and stand on the rear pedal and plow through the turn in the center of the lane. There were no unexpected changes in the line I picked that way.

Quick Reply: To de-link the brakes or not?