CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

To de-link the brakes or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To de-link the brakes or not?

G'day everyone.
I'm thinking about de-linking the brakes. I have done 20,000km on my cbr as it is, thinking I'd get used to them, but I still don't like the feeling (or rather lack of it) when I'm turning at low speed and have to use the brakes. For instance, when going around a small roundabout and some tool pulls out in front of me, or cuts me off, or in a carpark.
Onany of my previous bikes I've just gently dabbed the back brake, and everything is ok...normally. But I find on the cbr that the front brake bites too hard, and earlier that I like, and I've nearly soiled myself a few times as a result!
What do you guys think? Have any of you de-linked, and is there a downside?
Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Dave.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To de-link the brakes or not?

One reason some people de-links the brake system is they are afraid of rear slides when using the front brake in corner entrances. This is more a track than a road issue duringhard and deep brakinginto corners. Apart fromthe track issue, the linked system normally works better, even though an ABS would be preferred for maximum safety. I've a linked system on the Blackbird and really like the outstanding braking performance. If it was used on track on a regular basisI would perhaps delink the system but not because that I want to use the rear brake only. It is very easy to lay the bike on side if only the rear brake is used. Slamming the foot break is a bad habit that comes from car driving but is not the normal or safeway to reduce speed on a bike.

Are you running on unpaved roads and this is the reason for using the rear brake? Normally you should not use the rear brake at all on a motorcycle other when the road surface is very lose or on ice. 90% of the breaking capability is on the front and even 100% when the rear leaves ground at very hard breaking. In case the front locks, it's just to release the grip very quick and the front will not lock even in turns if there is tarmac on the road unless the breaking is very hard during lean. The only thing that will happen if you break hard under lean on tarmac is that the bike will stand up.

It is also veryimportant to apply the front brake progressively so the front tyre will get more and more weight when the brake force increases. If the front brake is pulled in very quick and hardthere is to little weight on the front wheel to avoid lockup. On obscured areas like parking lots etc. on should of course drive so slow that panic breaking is avoided, which they always should be. Sorry for preaching, but it is real important to understand the bikes brake system and use it rightand not come into unplanned situationon a regular basis.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Iwill not de-link. In my opinion therear brakeson my suzukiDR 650does me no good.It seems to methat my 1996 US model CBR 1000f appears to have some kind of "engine brakes". Merelycuttingoff the throttle induces this "engine braking" that isvery noticeable at low speeds.In the low speed situation described I have learned to usejust a little pressure, more of a gentletap of one finger. In any case this bike is notset upfor low speed riding. The real advantages of the linked braking is realised at high speeds.You ride slowly at your own risk!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:49 PM
October 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: R1000

Normally you should not use the rear brake at all on a motorcycle other when the road surface is very lose or on ice. 90% of the breaking capability is on the front...

I have to say that in the Linked brake system-case you should use both brakes as often as you can to print it in your mind, since when using only the front brake handle, you only apply60% of the possible force on the brake pads on the front. You can only apply the middle piston in the calipers using the foot lever. Full brake power=use both front and rear brakes.
Has anyone actually done a lowsider, or heard of someone else done it, because of the Linked brakes?

Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 AM

Hi Dave, wow, you got a couple real novice answers there!
You're right in that the front end dive (with these linked brakes)when applying the rear brake at low speeds is a bit disconcerting. It does take some effort to apply the rear very lightly in that situation. As any experienced and intelligent rider knows, skillful application of the rear brake is quite effective and appropriate in any number of street riding situations. Most top racers use the rear brake on the track as well, though often for different reasons than the street rider.
Here's a challenge for the 'never use the rear brake' guys. How many full lock, feet- up figure 8 patterns can you ride at less than a walking pace (simulates low speed manuevering on the street) ? Probably none? Then you're not skilled enough to lecture, yet.
I would say that a good rider should be able to do 10 or 15 without a foot down or exceeding 5 MPH. The rear brake is absolutely essential to this sort of street riding situation.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the input guys.
I've been riding for 25 years, and although I have never ridden on a track, I have ridden in traffic (countless times all over London, and it doesn't get much worsr than that!), and when weaving through slow moving traffic the back brake only is the way to go (in my opinion).
I understand the weight shift under braking, and agree that the front brake does most of the work, increasingly with speed and heavy braking.
I don't have any dramas with braking except at low speedwith the 'bars turned quite a lot.
I'd still like to hear from anyone who has de-linked....but maybe I'm the only one not happy.
I'd love abs, but I think as far as which brake to apply, when, and how hard, I'dprefer to bein control rather than a slave cylinder.
Thank again, Dave.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:44 AM

I love my linked brakes. (Except on the track which is very rare). Very confidence inspiring in the wet and also high speed braking. Plus when riding hard I love the way you can back it in by giving it a fistfull of front brake only.

For stuff less than 40kph I just use my foor brake only.

Only change I would make is braided lines.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:15 AM

To me, since the linked brakes force you into balanced front and rear brake loading, you're less likely to lock up either end. The last time I went down, in the rain, coming around a curve and having the turn-off I wanted all the sudden appear, I think I locked up the rear and the bike came out from under me. This was on a V65 Sabre with coventional brakes. My point is, I don't think this would have happened on my linked brake 1000F. As Cycle World said back in 93 re Honda's LBS, "it is possible to lock up the brakes, but only if the rider is really trying to do so".

Old 05-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't care for the LBS. The only time I dumped my bikewas because I touched the rear break at about 1/8 MPH when leaving the gas pump and the front tire was in some slime and it locked up and slid out to the left. I have been riding for 36 years and felt like a fool in front of all my co-riders.

Under fast riding, I like to enter a corner fast and grab front and rear breaks. As I lay the bike into the turn, I release the front and stay on the rear to control speed. At the apex I roll the throttle on and begin to release the rear break and exit the turn quickly. I can usually walk away from the rider behind me on exiting.

With the LBS, the Bike would stand up and push me into the outside of the turn at the apex when I applied this technique.
I have been pushed there so many times that I became frightened on what to expect in any turn. I almost lost it in a turn in the rain one time. I got pushed to the outside and had all to do to keep from taking a ride through the tulips. When I go to motorcycle races, I usually park on the grass somewhere. More than once I had to ride down a grassy hill to get backto the road. My friends would always be waiting for me at the road because if I tried to carry any speed, I was afraid of crashing if I used the rear break and the front came on. I was ready to sell the bike because it scared me. After de-linking I fell in love with the bike.

Keep in mind that these bikes are big and heavy. The LBS works just fine under normal riding conditions and you get even wear on break pads. It is only times where you really don't want the front break on or when you are entering a turn at high speeds or in a turn under high speed and you want to take speed off is where I myself just hate the LBS.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8473/FF6EC11CB4214036BE1EEC650850E776.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2007, 12:26 AM

Funny you mention You dont like using the front on LBS in high speed corners. I use the foot break to help me trial brake into the corner right up to the apex.

Quick Reply: To de-link the brakes or not?