CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Cylinder Head Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chammyman, thanks for your story.
It's so nice to have a problem/solution story in one post. Big Respec to your mechanical skills.
I did a compression test yesterday and found mine to be woefully off the mark. 105, 115, 118, 128. Jeez, I really need to get down to doing my top end overhaul. Just need to find some of that elusive time stuff. She still rides like a champ though. I don't have to rush it.
So where's Hawk? D'ya think he got it back together and rode off into the sunset?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:27 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Halleluya Praise The Lord!!!

Christ almighty I can't believe that all this started with a snapped exhaust bracket!

Well it's update time, haven't posted up to now 'cos I've been doing a bit at a time with work getting in the way, but finally today and yesterday got some proper spanner time.

Got the head back together and cams timed up. lots of trial and error as I've not done this before. A very steep learning curve and just prayed that I'd got the timing right, 'cos I didn't want to have to tear it apart again!!!

Got the exhaust headers, cans, radiator and hoses back on and all the other stuff I'd had to take off. Eventually I couldn't put it off any longer, so I put the key in, turned on the ignition and pressed the start button. Nothing! Checked all the connections, then realised I had it in gear Popped it into neutral and tried again, she turned over fine but wouldn't start Finally realised I had the fuel turned off Turned the fuel on tried again and she burst into life, I can't tell you how relieved I was that she started!!!

Yippeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

I've now balanced the carbs and fitted the exhaust shrouds, will refit the plastics when I get home from work on Wednesday and go for a much deserved ride!!

Old 09-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Congrats Steve, it's a great feeling!!!!!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up much deserved ride!!

Hawk,

Well done on getting her going - happy riding

As for that well deserved ride - 8th october starting in your town!!!!

Rick

Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Hawk, awesome news, great to hear it works again.

Let us know how the ride goes, and have fun.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 09-25-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work Hawk .... here's to you man

Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto Great work !
I'll bet the first thought when it didn't fire was
Then a big smile when it did.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:13 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Smile And in conclusion

Got the plastics and exhaust shrouds back on this morning and took her for a quick test ride, followed shortly after by a good blast

When I first fired her up after the work she rattled lick a ******, but quietened down once she'd warmed up. This morning started her from cold, she fired within a split second on full choke and she was as smooth as silk, no rattle from the cam chain at all.

Now this was a very pleasant surprise, considering I haven't changed the chain or tensioner, I didn't modify the tensioner either, so I can only assume it's down to the other things I have done on the bike, which was, stripped the carbs, cleaned thoroughly and balanced them.

Now to be honest, she was running like a pig before the work was done, the throttle was snatchy and when pulling away I'd have to use a fist-full of rev's to pull away cleanly. All of that is now cured, she pulls smooth and clean with no hesitation. Normally from what I've read here, I'd put it down to balancing the carbs, but I did that before and it didn't make any difference. Maybe balancing them isn't enough by itself, I think they have to be nice and clean as well.

This advice comes from a complete novice, even I managed it with no problems:-

For anyone out there that has a cam-chain rattle, clean your carbs and balance them properly.

Read the manual, watch a couple of vids on Youtube and you'll find it's very simple, all you need is a screwdriver, an 8mm socket,(I think) and some carb cleaner. To get the carbs back on the boots, I used a little bit of grease and a small section of wood to press them back on (cos you can't get a proper grip on the bloody things). Take your time, it isn't a race, even if it takes all day, next time you'll be able to do it in a couple of hours. The difference to the bike is really noticeable and well worth the effort.

Finally if you have a digital camera, take lots of pictures and make a mental note of where the pipes go!! I didn't remember to do that (it's easy to get carried away), so it cost me a lot of time, suffice to say I've taken those carbs on and off about a dozen times now