CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 03:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cutting out

I need your help! [&o]
My bike aint well, it keeps cutting out.
My bike will run fine untill it starts to get warmed up then it will cut out, there is no sputtering or any other warning it basicaly turns itself off !! [:@]
The ignition lights stay on but there is nothing when you press the starter button, leave it for a few hours and it will start again.
There is plenty of fuel,the battery is good,the plugs are newish and the right 'colour', the sidestand cutout has been checked,engine cut out on the bars and the fuses in the fuse box as well. It sounds very much an electrical problem, has anybody else had a similar problem, or has any ideas please.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Cutting out

Maybe brushes in the starter motor - but if it only cuts out when it's getting warm, it means the revs are increasing, which could mean a partial blockage in the fuel petcock, which only manifests itself as the bike needs more gas.
Could also be faulty coils - they have been known to do that when getting warm.......
Perhaps an intermittent fault in the kill switch or ignition wiring......?
Best guesses - sorry I can't be more specific.[X(]

Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had basecally the same thing this summer, it would riun fine then when it was warm, 2 cylinders would cut off, turned to be one of the coil wire that was cut, but holding a bit by the envellope of the wire, when warm the eveloppe would expend and the wire did not touch any more, check the wiring that passes on the head of the frame that goes to the coils, open the wires enveloppe you should find them there, there isa lot of vibration and rubbing caused by the tank and the holding bolt of the tank so the wires have a tendency to cut off.

At first i thought it was the coils. 15 minutes fix with an exacto and electrical tape

Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 AM

If was the fuel pump, surely that wouldnt affect the starter button, would it?
The bike will rev ok when cold, and have 'rooted around' wiggling and tweeking the different parts of the loom but cannot get it to cut out, or on the flip side (after it has cut out) cannot get the starter to even dim the ignition lights when the button is pushed.
You may be right CBR Classic, an exorcism may be next or 'trial by fire'

Old 10-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One more thought - check the wiring to your starter relay - you may find it has burnt and is going to earth when hot. Someone else had that problem recently, but if you check Puma 690's posts you may find something.....I remember Dean0 helped him with a rewire in that area with similar problems........

Old 10-18-2008, 03:22 PM

Good thinking Shadow
Had some hassle with the starter a few months back (jammed itself in and didnt want to let go) will have a look 'in and around' there tomorow.
Cant see it being a coil Dragon as its not just dropping 2 cylinders,its turning the engine off, with no warning signs like a cough or splutter.
I treated the old girl to a new tank a few months back so its unlikely to be a blocked fuel petcock.
Please dont think I am just throwing your suggestions out for the sake of it, they are all very much appreciated
cheers guys

Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM

i did not say it was a coil, i was saying it might be a wire that is cut and with the heat the envelope expends and the metal wire indide does not touch anymore. that is what i had this summer.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 PM

Have you checked your sidestand switch?

Quick Reply: Cutting out