CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Crashed - unpimping my ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed - unpimping my ride

Yesterday I was going to work at morning, coming off the motorway into the ramp when I hit the side fence, continued about 2 secs and then falling to my right side on road in middle of intersection. I remained consciousness at all time and well remember how pieces of my bike were flying around. Bike slammed on top of me, but luckily someone driving ATV came there in seconds and lifted the bike off. Ambulance took me to hospital where I was diagnosed with broken toe on right foot, broken collarbone on right side, huge bruise on right leg and minor scratches elsewhere. I was operated last evening where they put titanium plate to my collarbone. After hearing what happened to me and comparing it to my damages, surgeon suggested that with this much of luck I should start lottering immediately...

Came home from hospital about an hour ago and feeling pretty well, actually it depresses me more what happened to my bike than what happened to me.

Lucky me:
-Weared normal jeans but no road rash (only minor scratches on right knee)
-My jeans were caught between chain and sprocket, but no damage to my skin
-There wasn't cars coming at intersection
-I wore full riding jacket, gloves and boots because I was going to take a trip after work, otherwise I would have wore only T-shirt and sneakers and I wouldn't be writing here.
-There were firemen at the situation only after 30secs after accident, checking me and helping
-That riding leather jacket most probably saved my right shoulder
-Only minor scratches to helmet

Unlucky me:
-My love of life, CBR is now badly badly broken and I don't have insurance to cover it up

I post damage pics later today from bike and me, they're at my cam but I have hard time connecting it (can't use my right hand for about 3-4 weeks) into computer, gotta wait for my friend to do that.

Why this happened? Well, blame it on me. You know those weights at both end of handlebars, I tightened the throttle side so the throttle didn't come back by itself. But because of that, throttle jammed and when I was going to slow down, bike continued to pull and when I pressed clutch to stop accelerating, there already was too much speed.

There was story in todays local newspaper and they over-dramatized the situation sooooo much, one witness told the police I had about 200kmh (125mph) of speed when I crashed, well you all probably know that can't be true. I must go to police station next week and try to get my driving licence back, police took it away because of that witness.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Default RE: Crashed - unpimping my ride

Good to hear you where not seriosly hurt

Damn witness, they should not be able to recall the license on a subjective statement. but I don't know the praxis in Finland although I have a Finnish mother. Thanks also for reporting the cause. I'm running my CBR possibly a litte hotter sometimes than perhaps recommended, and have began to wonder if it will highside some thay. I takes a tremedous load during lean due to the Michelin Power tyres and the power is soft, but I leave my friends on sportbikes behind with such a pace in curves so I have had some thought about the cleverness to ride like that.

Take your time to recover and good luck in every aspect !

Old 07-15-2006, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: R1000

Take your time to recover and good luck in every aspect !

Thanks mate, I think these first days are hardest, and after that every day is better. Yep like you said, even how fun it is, there's no need to risk your life and health, there's much more things to enjoy in our lives too. I too have great fun taking those corners fast, but after this it's definitely time to leave those things for the track. I'll inform to this thread what is my sentence after I visit police office in monday. Good thing I just heard I'll be getting a very good lawyer if there's any need for that.

Here's those pics, I must warn these are very shocking to all of you 1000F drivers (expecially that picture of me with sexy underwear hah!)... After quick checking it seems that only the fairings and right side handle bar have suffered most, if the engine and framework is ok I start to work to get it back on the street soon as possible.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4033/E49287127A2B494A8BD7382B09506DBD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4033/4D230EA8F30A47D48477F7458B888F6C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4033/9FDD64DD42E84F8CBD0E7ADE51A89A76.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4033/96D480455EAF43E2ACBFB582BE78A43B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4033/45C6A591892446DB84E9C30FF4D2A060.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-15-2006, 02:39 PM

that sucks bro. good luck to u and ur bike.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:30 PM

Kaasari,

Glad to hear that your okay! That sucks about the accident. Bikes and bones are repairable. Every time we ride we all put our bones on the line. Witnesses suck when it's for some one else and like R1000 said, they always over dramatise things. Usually it's because the bike looks fast and maybe has a pipe on it, so they instantly think we are always going fast, when in fact they don't know anything other than on the surface. 3 years ago, I went down similarly. Took out my left shoulder, 3rd degree separation of ACL, separated the shoulder socket, crack the bone on the elbow, and had a huge bruise the size of a football on my left side of my abdomen.

It's good to hear your gonna make it. God speed to you.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:53 PM

Oh man.... that sux! Glad to hear the you will recover and be okay. Bikes can be replaced. I'm sure that you can part out whats left of yours and get a good amount of cash to replace it.
I'm not one to preach, but I'm an ATGATT fan. That is all the gear all the time person. The older I get the longer it takes for me to heal. And like they say, sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. At any rate, sorry to hear about your off. Wish you the best of luck on your recovery.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bike. Nice to hear that you are OK.
I did a flying dismount from a CB750 LTD and when I was in the air, all I could think of was not scratching my helmet on landing. I chose to go in sholder first. I disconected my sholder and it can't be fixed.
Battle scares, they make us unique.

When you get yout ride back on the road you may want to consider installing a Throttlemiser.
When you roll the throttle off, the Throttlemiser releases the throttle returning the throttle back to normal operation.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/ac...tlemeister.htm

Old 07-15-2006, 05:05 PM

Bummer. I would hire an "expert" who could determine from skid marks, damage to bike, and damage to you that you were only going 30 KMH.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Illushun

... Witnesses suck when it's for some one else and like R1000 said, they always over dramatise things. Usually it's because the bike looks fast and maybe has a pipe on it, so they instantly think we are always going fast, when in fact they don't know anything other than on the surface...
I thought the same, that noise from Yoshimura exhaust really gives an impression of fast speed, when in reality you're driving under the limits. What I remember I was on 3rd gear, and when going 100kmh / 60mph it sounds like you're going like a rocket.

Slowpoke: Thanks, I'm going to tell that to police, there wasn't any skid marks on location and will ask them to check my bike where they can see the throttle really is jammed. In hospital I was in same room with a guy who had crashed his bike into his friends bikes rear end. He had his collarbone, shoulder blade and couple of ribs broken with huge bruises (weared full riding gear), and he remembered going about 30kmh... So when comparing his damage and mine, for sure I couldn't had much more speed than him.

TimBucTwo: Thanks for info on Throttlemiser, I'm going to check that thing when my bike is running again. Sorry about your shoulder, I was told in hospital that shoulders can't be fixed completely in all situations. But yeah, girls like scars...

Huge thanks to all for sympathy, ride safe so we don't get more threads like this on this great forum.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:00 PM

I feel for you man. I had an unfortunate incident in 1989 when I went under a car that pulled in front of me. I was young, dumb, and uninsured at the time as well as not in possesion of a license. I managed to stand up and put on a show for the paramedics at the time because I didn't want a huge medical bill as well as a F****d-up bike. My wife came and took me to the hospital and I discovered that I had crushed my knee in the crash. It still doesn't work right but I get around pretty good. A witness gave me his number and said to call him later, I did and he told me that it was not my fault. The driver of the car pulled in front of me and clipped my front end sending me to the pavement and under her car. I couldn't remember what exactly happened so I didn't file a report and probably missed out on a rather large settlement. It took me 15 years to convince my wife to let let me have a bike again. This time I told her that something bad may happen but until it's my time to go I'm bulletproof. When it is my time to go it doesn't matter if I'm on a bike or sitting at home in my recliner, it's over!
Anyway, I'm glad that you are OK and don't let it slow you down, keep doing what you love and what makes you happy! I certainly will!

Quick Reply: Crashed - unpimping my ride