CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Conviction

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Noe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conviction

In Denmark we have just had a trail in which a young man, 29 years old whom had lost his drivinglicens before due to alcohol, was driving recklessly, lost control of his car and killed a 27 year old father and his 7 month old daughter...
This is a complete tradegy, and we were very excited to find out what the sentence was going to be.

He got 2 years and 3 month, out of jail after 2/3 of the time served, for killing two people...
Thats 18 month, ladies and gentelmen, for murder!!!!!!

Now I was chocked, again, of that minimal sentence, and could not belive that this is what the court would call justice!!!

I'm now wondering, what would a penalty like this cost in your country??? especially the US...

Do you have any recent convictions on a similar incident to which this can be compared ?

This is the picture from the papers where the killer drove 130 km/t (81 mph)
[IMG]local://upfiles/8118/03EABAB167214142B2C052B69FC583EB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Default RE: Conviction

In sweden u probaly get the same punishment or lower..

Old 08-06-2006, 05:09 PM

When I was about 18, actually right beofre my eighteenth B-day a good friend myself and another guy were driving down the freeway in his VW. He was drunk, we rolled his VW 9 times over the length of a football field. The guy in the backseat died, I basically walked away with a torn up knee, my buddy broke his back and went to prison for 5-6 years. The way the laws are written it's only vehicular manslaughter which isn't considered murder. I personally believe doing such foolish things should land longer sentences. However, It's really hard to prove implied malice which is required for a murder conviction.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It would depend on whether you were a politician or not.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sentences are directly proportional to how much the attorney representing you costs. From what I've read and heard I believe this is the case anywhere you go.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:07 AM

Here in the states it's 50 different ways of dealing with DUI, because each state handles it and the sentencing differently. For the most part.
Hire a top notch attorney and you might get off with a fine and no jail time. If you are poor and a minority, they'll probably make an example of you and you'll go away for at least a few years.
Senator Janklow is an excelent example. Though he was not drunk, he still killed a motorcylist and not only basically walked, but he had his law license reinstated so he can continue to practice. What a sham that was.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 AM

Sounds like a job for VIGILANTE MAN!

The father of one of my friends back in primary school killed a kid on a bike when he hit drink driving. A mate got to the scene before the police and gave him a beer so they couldn't test his blood alcohol... bastard got off for the same sort of thing as the guy you're talking about.

If it was my child who was killed, and I didn't have any other family that needed me to support them, I like to think I would hunt the "vehicular manslaughterer" down and murder him in cold blood, and proudly do the time. But I also like to think that I would never be in such a position to carry out my thought.

Australia by the way.

Cheerio!

Old 08-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Noe

I Denmark there isn't that big a difference between rich or poor. If you comitted a crime you will pay the price no matter who you are.
Ofcause the rich people can afford a big shot attorney and they might, just might, get of easyer. But in general, all are convicted equal.

But that dosn't change that 18 months in prison for killing two people is just soo very wrong !!! And it pisses me off!

Old 08-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Captian, how about Senator Edward "Ted" Kennedy. He killed a woman while he was drinking. He is still in office.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

Captian, how about Senator Edward "Ted" Kennedy. He killed a woman while he was drinking. He is still in office.
Oh yeah... Him too. A little different, but still....
Janklow has been a scofflaw for a looooong time. He's got a sorted history behind the wheel, and then he killed a fellow motorcyclist. Scum bag of the highest order.