CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Coil testing

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 03:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coil testing

Gday all, well my bike won’t start and I’m putting down to dead plugs. But just to be sure I was wondering how you test your coils? Just to eliminate that.(coils) so I do have spark at the plugs but it’s orange in three plugs and no spark on #4.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:45 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a good time to do a stick coil upgrade, check out the sticky thread.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhondasoulsoothinghonda
I do have spark at the plugs but it’s orange in three plugs and no spark on #4.
Does that mean weak spark on 1,2,3 and no spark on 4? If so, the coils should be okay. If they go you'll lose spark on 2 cylinders since each coil handles 2 plugs. Suspect wires or plugs, but also confirm voltage. If your battery is discharged that would cause weak spark. If the battery is fully charged and you're still getting a weak spark, time for stick coils. Heck, it's probably a worthwhile update even if the coils are working

Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm feeling the stick coil upgrade myself. From what I've been reading it's a trouble free mod for less than what it would cost to buy new boots/wires/coils. I think this is still on topic so I'll add a question that someone might be able to answer while I continue to research in the meantime:

Looking at stick coils I noticed that the ones for the 2012-17 1000RR models have the larger boot flange, which would prevent having to go through the grommet fab hassle. I'm going to check/compare specifications late 90's early 2000's when I get a moment, but if anyone can tell me they just won't work that would save me a little time.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I re-read the stick coil "sticky" lol. No point in reinventing the wheel (It was appealing to use latest model parts, though). Just purchased 06-07 "4840" coils and Dorman 42066 grommets. The looms on these have a lot more wire so I don't think there will be much messing about when changing the connectors. Amazing that total cost is a little over 40 bucks US!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhondasoulsoothinghonda
I do have spark at the plugs but it’s orange in three plugs and no spark on #4.
Coils are a step up transformer. If you have orange spark, you may have low voltage going to the coils. It could be a low battery causing this condition.
Each coil pack is made up of 2 coils.
The left coil pack fires #1 & #4 at the same time and the right coil pack fires #2 & #3 at the same time.
If you replace #4 plug with a known good plug that is sparking and it doesn't spark on #4 plug wire, I'd suspect the right side coil in the left coil pack is bad.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:52 AM

Holly cow Pooh I never got any notifications that all you guys had commented on this post. Thank you all very much for your words of wisdom, as it turns out it was the plugs, put new ones in today and bobs your uncle she runs like new again lol. I suspect the plugs where the original ones for some reason (gut feeling) also find it unusual that three of four plugs where dead/weak. And I put a new air filter in as well leaves an oil and oil filter change. Me new tyre goes on Saturday and go for my open class live on the 3/10/18. Again thank to all of you for advise and words of wisdom

Old 08-23-2018, 03:55 AM

I looked at the stick coil change and want to do it but it was $200 aud just for second hand ones, and that’s way at of my price range at this moment of time. Having said that they are on the cards in the future

Old 08-23-2018, 10:44 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to keep shopping around, not just in Australia, tell whoever has $200 on their set is `dreamin'.
I am in Tassie and mine shipped from the US was about AU$50, just keep your eye out.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just looked at some on ebay for $39USD for sticks and loom.

Quick Reply: Coil testing