CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Clutch Job

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Job

well, I recieved my clutch from bikebandit, EBC street/strip kevlar clutch, and I was surpised at how easy it was to install

Step 1, park bike on a slope so that the kickstand it downward.. make sure the bike is stable, but leaning over a fair bit, this eliminates the need to drain the oil if you have recently done an oil change

step 2, remove the fairing on the right side

step 3, remove the 10ish 10mm bolts on the cover, pop it off, some bolts are longer, keep track of these!

step 4, remove the 5 10mm bolts holding the clutch springs

step 5, remove the clutch plates

step 6, oil the new plates and put them back in

step 7, USE A TORQUE WRENCH to tighten the new springs back in (pump clutch lever to make sure it works after)

step 8, put the cover back on (new gasket recommended, i bought one and didn't need it, the old one came off nicely), again, use torque wrench

step 9 put the fairing back on, seat, etc, check oil level on level ground, drive off!

total time for me to do this, with an engine which was SMOKING hot from rush hour traffic, 40 minutes from the time it shut down to the time I drove off
BTW, I DO recommend that you let the engine cool for an hour or so before doing this job, i just was very rushed

figured this would be a handy little writeup.. any one else have any comments?

Cost: 157 USD including express shipping to canada

I recommend Bikebandit, I was rather pleased with them

Old 05-23-2006, 02:37 AM
Default RE: Clutch Job

good walk through! One day when I need to replace the clutch, I sure hope I can track this down...

cue to sticky post thread...

Old 05-23-2006, 02:45 AM

it's a *really* straightforward job.. the "search" function may work nicely for finding it again

Old 05-23-2006, 02:54 AM

point taken... I saw the the mechanics at my old bike shop pull apart and refit my sticking clutch under warranty in next to no time...

I just want to show my support for anyone who takes the time and effort to write walkthroughs... I appreciate it when I get confused by the workshop manual and someone "states the obvious" for me...

You know, the whole "no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people" routine?

Old 05-23-2006, 04:05 AM

I'm pretty good at writing walkthroughs... as I do more stuff to the bike I'll do more writeups.. though, I get long winded at time lol

a PERFECT example is me describing the power valve operation and tuning on a holley carb.. god there have been some long posts there :P

Old 05-23-2006, 08:59 AM

Shouldn't step 2 be remove the right side fairing?

Old 05-23-2006, 02:27 PM

I just did this a few weeks ago.. took me longer to oil the plates then it did to do the job. varry easy job to do.. its not much harder then changing the oil.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:38 PM

if I were to do it again, I'd preoil the plates as well, that took me a good 15 minutes too... and of course getting the old ones out of the basket when they are about 110C isn't exactly an easy or comfortable job either.. I'm sure with some practice, I could get it down to about 25 minutes... that would be a good joke to play on someone if they bring thier bike for you to do a clutch on.. tell them to go for a quick coffee to the place that is like 3 blocks away and have it done when they come back.. of course they might not believe that you actually did anything

Old 05-23-2006, 08:52 PM

Malbojah, YES, I am still having soume trouble with the kindergarten stuff (fixed)

Old 05-24-2006, 01:02 PM

What is it showing for the torque specs on the clutch spring bolts - I just did mine and only went about 10 ft lbs
of torque and the bolt broke off in the hub. $9 on e-bay got me another hub - saved me a trip to the machine
shop for a drill/tap job. Guessing the bolt may have been brittle after so many heat cycles? Anyway all is good -
bought a moto-technica clutch kit off e-bay - $14 new. Works great and the springs are 15% stiffer than stock.

Quick Reply: Clutch Job