CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Choke is broke and bike runs better than ever???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke is broke and bike runs better than ever???

ALL
I came out of work tonight it was cold around 40 I pulled the choke back before starting the engine and the choke snapped. I finally got the bike started with no choke and let her warm up before the 40 plus mile ride home. Well riding home I got on it and the dreaded stutter and surge at 7000k was gone. She pulls like crazy. I went from a 10 mph roll on and she pulled a wheelie for the first time, when I hit the throttle. I did this several times with a big grin. When shifting into second gear she came up a little in the front. Is this normal for a hurricane 1000 to come up like this. I have a 16/43 sprocket set up. She has never wheelied before like this.

So my question is I thought I had a lean condition, and was planning on cleaning the carbs next month. But the way the bike runs now whats the point, she flat flys. The choke lever moved either way makes no difference so it came loose somewhere. Everyone says the bike was running lean, and thats what caused the poor dyno pull. But if you look at the two exhaust pipe tips they are black. To me they look like the engine is running rich. What do you all think??? She now pulls smooth and strong through 7K to 10K. What is going on???

I still need to fix the choke and will look at it tomorrow.

Thanks
Matt

Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Matt,
Don't know about the choke issue but I am like you don't fix what is not broken. Ride it a few more times and make your assessment after a couple more rides. The cold weather, 40 degrees probably helped it run so good. Not sure of all the mechanics but the cold air is less dense and the bikes runs smoother and more powerful. I took my VFR 800 out this afternoon and several times on throttle blasts in first gear the front wheel came up. My 600 does it all the time but it takes a little effort for the VFR to come up, but it did pretty easy today.
Tom

Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me that the choke must have been on very slightly before (maybe a snagged or too tight cable) and causing the bike to be a bit rich rather than lean??? It's hard to say for sure, not knowing your bike, but that's my first gut thought. Fix the choke and make extra sure you adjust it right, then just sit back and enjoy the ride.

They do go hard, that's for sure! I rode mine to work today and, even after having it for a few years, it still put a grin on my head a few times. I like the mid range grunt they've got. 6th gear overtaking from 100kph is just effortless. A gentle roll of the throttle and you're passed in no time...'course, there's the option to go down to any of 4gears at that speed. Just depends on your mood.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

but the cold air is less dense and the bikes runs smoother and more powerful. I took my VFR 800 out this

Sorry, but cold air is denser than hot air.

As for running better, I think when the weather warms up you'll have problems again. Given that your choke cable has just broken it is probably stuck in the "rich" zone. The choke enricheners only work in the last/upper quarter of the choke - the rest just raises the idle.
Maybe you've hit an ideal setting with current ambient temps.
Oh and with a 16/43 sprocket ratio my 90 model will climb up on the back wheel in 1st and stay there into a gearchange into third.
Nothing unusual about it. It's about an extra 12HP equivalent over stock sprockets...

Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
I think when the weather warms up you'll have problems again. Given that your choke cable has just broken it is probably stuck in the "rich" zone.
That's what I was thinking. It would not make sense for it to break in the off position where there is no tension on the cable.

The only way to tell is to lift the tank and have a look at the slide position.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep 3 wise men ( wait make that 4 ...sorry Dave ) just spit out the right analysis imo.

She's partially stuck on and is running sweet with denser colder air.

But she'll need a fixing sooner or later

Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanks all, I took the choke apart today and the cable has broken, right at the lever. I already ordered one off ebay. I pulled the cable with some pliers to have her start easier. She fired right up. Then pushed the cable in and she idled down where she should be. I took her out again temps were in the mid 40's. She flat screams. I do plan on cleaning the carbs though. Bottom line is I have had her for almost a year and she has never run this good.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Good Stuff, Put some seafoam through it too ....... it'll help a lot !

Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Seafoam, Seafoam & Seafoam works great. It is a wonder drug for carbs.

Originally Posted by Sprock
Good Stuff, Put some seafoam through it too ....... it'll help a lot !

Quick Reply: Choke is broke and bike runs better than ever???