CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CDI units - what's the difference ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CDI units - what's the difference ?

I have a spare CDI from a J/K 1988 model - my friend's bike is a 1993 model, and his cdi's apparently blown. Will he be able to use the CDI from the earlier bike without doing any damage, and will it work properly ? Advice please -

Old 01-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: CDI units - what's the difference ?

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that if they look the same and the connector is the same it should work. If Honda did not want you to mix years, they would have changed the connector. 12 volts is 12 volts and I would not think trying would hurt the bike.

The other note is that I changed the engine in my daughter’s car. She had a Chevy 2.8L and I found a 3.1L engine. The 3.1L would have slipped in like the 2.8.L but I would have had to swap the computer due to different cam and cam timing. The displacement is upped and the injectors were larger. The spark coils (spark packs) themselves would have worked because all they do is up voltage for spark.

If the CDI is only making spark at a specific time, I think it will work. Unlike the above-mentioned difference in engines and controlling fuel mixtures, spark is spark.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks TBT - I'm sure the fellow member will be pleased to hear that - his bike had an accident before he bought it, and apparently they've fited a CDI with a 6500 rev limiter.....doesn't help much on a Hurricane..........

Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Thanks TBT - I'm sure the fellow member will be pleased to hear that - his bike had an accident before he bought it, and apparently they've fited a CDI with a 6500 rev limiter.....doesn't help much on a Hurricane..........
I doubt there is a CDI with 6.5 k rev limit that fits the CBR 1000 F. Then it must be a CDI for a Harley or some diesel engine :-) In case the bike only turns 6.5 grands there is another fault than the CDI. Clogged carbs etc.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM

The bike was in an accident before he got it, so maybe they butchered the wiring, and found something that made it run - at least to 6500RPM, maybe Noe's old snowmobile, or Blue1000's Kayak.....he he or maybe Dragon 64's power-driven snowshoes.....he he sorry guys, couldn't resist - sitting here 8.30PM and its 26C. Really feel sorry for you guys sitting at minus degrees.........or in Flogger's case, pouring rain.......
Thanks for the advice, I'll pass on your opinions.....

Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 PM

You canfeel lucky, the forecast here is hard snow storms fortomorrow and onfriday with icing on roads. On the other hand, it is not more than about 60 days until the motorcycle season starts here :-)

Old 01-30-2008, 10:54 PM

Wow! A 6500 rev limiter..... on a Hurricane..........
Riding it must be like playing beat the clock. You have to up shift before the bike falls on its face.
Let us know how things work out.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 PM

Hi TBT - the guy phoned me tonight - sure enough the bike's wiring has been butchered to take a CBR900 Fireblade CDI, which ran, but is damaged. (Previous owner was killed on it when a small truck pulled out in front of him.)He tried another far more expensive CDI from a 1000 Fireblade at the workshop today, and was able to rev the bike to proper limits. I'm sending him a spare 88 one I have complete with wiring and diagrams, which should work fine at 1/6 of the price.
He's also running an old CB900F reg/rec, and I've warned him to change it out asap !!!....He'll let me know how it goes, and I'll pass on any more news.
Thanks to all for input, advice, suggestions etc.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:42 PM

Shadow1,
Thanks for the feedback. Forums are for passing information and learning. With out feedback it become a guessing game, what works and what doen't.
I have learned much in this forum through feedback.

Glad to hear about the 1kf up and running well.

Sorry about our fellow rider. How sad?

I don't care what you ride as long as you ride. Yes, even H-D.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:48 AM

talking about wipe outs i seen a rider through the week that bagged up three cars and a truck and then headon a b double on a blade the only way you could tale it was a Honda was the rear swing arm.

Quick Reply: CDI units - what's the difference ?