CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR1000F rebuild pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR1000F rebuild pics

Figure I would post some pictures, would have sworn I had more. Especially when I split the case and rebuilt the carbs o'well.

https://docs.google.com/folderview?i...p=docslist_api

Old 05-11-2014, 01:43 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting pics JD, is that a California bike? There seem to be a lot of extra tubing that I don't recognize.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must be Hawk there's a few pics of old tubing diagrams showing an evap canister.

Got to be a Cali Bike

Old 05-11-2014, 04:27 PM

Yup I'm by los Angeles.
And yea it seemed to have a few things that don't show up in the manual. If I was not mechanically inclined I would've been screwed.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 AM
Welcome Crew

yep thats alot of tubing , glad to see your getting on

Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Can you not remove it to give you the extra ponies, or is that a big no-no in California?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Can you not remove it to give you the extra ponies, or is that a big no-no in California?
Yea big big no no, especially after the govenator( mr Arnold) pass a law you are not suppose to modified any bike bought after 2012. Though is rarely ever enforced except where it is a blatant safety hazard.

But I was thinking of doing it anyways. Only thing that I am worrying about it the mandate/bill they are trying to get pass for smoging motorcycles in the next couple years. California is so money hungry it's not even funny. Keep thinking I want to move up to Orgen or somewhere nice like that lol.

EDIT:
As i think about it I should be more clear, it's put into a lot public hearings around where i am for noise/db killers and smogging should be required for motorcycles. Though it's not yet back into the level where it could be proposed as a bill, it might be in a couple years. Just like ABS and a couple other things though i dis-agree with linked brakes and abs should have an override button. I say that as an avid trail brake user. ABS is great in a straight line but bike really don't ride in straight lines. Anyways i think i am going to do run it per the manual, still put the evap on but lose about 1/3 of the excess hosing. Most of it seem to be for limiting/restricting the intake of the carbs. Might even get a spare set of carbs and bore them out in the future. I know before i put it all back together going to sand blast and grind the headers. While wont make much difference now figure it will help when i upgrade the pipes. only thing that sucks is by the time i think i'll get it back together it will be winter again. Which is doable here but still probably have to re-tune in the next spring for the warmer weather. o'well...

Last edited by JD1982; 05-12-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:21 PM

Good luck with whatever you decide to do JD.

Keep us updated mate

Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Think I am going to leave it California stock for now.

See after feeling I had the counter balancer in wrong for the last couple days. Ans since I didn't rotate the engine to check, just counted the teeth. Last night I drop the engine again, split the case and I was right it was off by 2 teeth. During this 4 hour ordeal. I thought to myself as I am lifting the engine back into the frame. Leave it stock it's worth more and if anything goes wrong at least you put it back together the way it says it needs to be.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

JD, what mileage you have on your engine and what prompted you to think that you needed a rebuild at this time?
Loss of power, valve chatter, chain tensioner issue, for the fun of it, etc.

If I had to rebuild, I would just blue print and balance the engine with a valve seat job to avoid the over heating issues I have read of going with a big bore kit.

Quick Reply: CBR1000F rebuild pics