CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR1000f fuel injection??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR1000f fuel injection??

So I was wondering. Is there any possible kit or conversion system out there that I get to use a fuel injected system vs a carbureted system on my 87 CBR1000f with out getting a whole new engine? May be an odd question, but I am honestly tired of the carburetor already!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

If you have enough money it's quite possible to put a jet engine in a submarine.

Would appear to be a bit of a challenge I think.

Injection requires constant high pressure fuel pump, with return to tank for unused fuel,
some kind of electronic control to work out how much fuel you need,
and probably some kind of weird Jiggery Pokery kind of **** that none of us really understand; but just have to accept that it exists and works.

You could easily biff waaaay less money at just getting the stock set up sorted.

If, after having done that, your 25 year bike still doesn't do it for you, try Busa/R1, it will still be cheaper.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 AM

Well the issue I have is that I can't stand carburetors anymore, this was on the hurricane was fixed. Then I went out on the 3 and 4 carb. My bike isn't getting sufficient gas and won't pass 6k rpms and whenci spray carb cleaner on the 4th air pod she goes right up. I wasted my whole season working on this bike and still haven't been able to enjoy a real care free ride.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by t85konrad
Is there any possible kit or conversion system out there that I get to use a fuel injected system vs a carbureted system on my 87 CBR1000f with out getting a whole new engine?
You would need an entire different engine for EFI. EFI fuel flow is controlled by a computer monitored map. It gets feed back through the O2 sensor, knock sensor and other feedback systems like the TPS and/or MAFS.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:24 PM

So in other words sell the CBR hurricane and buy an 02 and up CBR?

Old 08-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup, I concur with TK and Tim,

A hell a lot of work for the result you are looking for. A bloke on the Concours site spent at least 2 years getting a GTR1000 fettled with fuel injection.

Why not just buy a bank of second hand carbs, go through them with a fine toothed comb, clean everything, fit new needle and seats etc and fit them?

Cheers, SB

Old 08-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Yes it is possible as there is one in Germany, but as stated at what cost to you.

This guy did all his own work and machining and is an aerospace engineer with resources availible to him. It was done as a part of a Doctoral Thesis.

1st you need to get a compatible computer, all the correct sensors, throttle bodys, injectors, and as TBT,Seb an others mentioned, fuel tank, maps, fuel return, fuel pump, and then the engine machine to accept them. This was done with CB1300SF parts and it took the better part of a year. Unless you have like resources I agree with all others. A newer set of carbs cleaned up and you will be able to drive it the same as the rest of us do without fuel injectors, you can find a good used set of 93 or newer carbs less than 2 bills easy, far cheaper than any conversion and plenty reliable.

Good Luck

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 08-19-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carbs work great once you get them really clean and set up. The big thing is that the bike is 25 years old. I can't wait to hear the computer issues the injected guys are having in 20 years. At least a carb is mechanical and you can see how it works.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcg
carbs work great once you get them really clean and set up. The big thing is that the bike is 25 years old. I can't wait to hear the computer issues the injected guys are having in 20 years. At least a carb is mechanical and you can see how it works.
When all of those cold soldered modules on the FI bikes start crapping on them, they'll be in a world of hurt. They'll be having to pay through the nose for a replacement module. On and on, ad naseum.

Just wait, when after a few seasons, when the wind blows hard off the Lake. They'll be begging for carbs. Carbs can be rebuilt anytime and the knowledge is right here, under your nose.

Sooooooo, Young grasshoppa', Jedi disciple, or whatever you want to be next year.

Be patient. Some of us have had to buy what we have because of budget or because we love to just rehabilitate something that has the potential to be great machine, or both

An ill-lit garage in the winter. When it's cold and you don't have the right tool do the job and you screw up and want to throw a wrench through the walls into the next three houses is all part of what we experience and that's why, I think, we're in this little club. It's worldwide and I personally appreciate all of the knowledge and help I've gleened here and hopefully can make some small contribution to the body of knowledge here.

Sit tight and listen is my advice. Not all of us are natural mechanics. Lord knows, I'm not. Every new type of vehicle you own is going to have it's own learning curve. There's enough Shou-lin masters and Yodas to walk you through ANY problem here.

Trust me on that.

You'll be a better mechanic and a better rider for it because you'll know your bike

You have to be, because I doubt you'll get the money you're asking for a bike with dodgy carbs

Just being up front here

Last edited by wooferdog; 08-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Banned

Like Woofer said. I'd do one of two things if this were me. I'd either take the advice of some of the guys here who have the know how and experience to get your carbs sorted over a period of time or just take it to a decent mechanic and say " fix it and call me when its done ". Given that your prepared to spend x amount of dollars converting to a FI system, I'm sure my option one will seem a tiny outlay in comparison.

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: CBR1000f fuel injection??