CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR traded for Blackbird

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CBR traded for Blackbird

Black bird, is that not a CBR 1100 ?????

Old 08-13-2006, 03:17 AM

ORIGINAL: city worker

Black bird, is that not a CBR 1100 ?????

Yes, it is a CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird", like the "Hurricane" name for CBR 1000 F.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you've been seduced by the dark side

The blackbird is the only bike I would trade mine for.
Good luck with the new bike and keep us posted.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Noe

Congrats on your new bike! Also my dreambike as a replacement to my CBR1000F in a couple of years.

A have a few questions to you about the Blackbird vs Hurricane.

1. Is the distance between the seat and pegs different ? The Hurricane is about 45 cm, what is it on the Blackbird ?

2. What is the reach to the handlebars ? Do you lean more forward and put more weight on your wrists ?

3. Is your general seating position the same as on the Hurricane ?

4. What about turing capabilities ? Are they the same ?

And ofcause you chould stay at this forum. You know alot about the Hurricane and bikes in general, and I would apriciate a lot to hear some more about the Blackbird vs Hurricane.

You know, Vikings like us is an advantage in any forum

Old 08-14-2006, 02:42 AM

Too bad you couldn't see your way clear to keeping the 1000F as well as getting the Bird. I kept my '93 when I bought the Bird in '01. Love both of them. The 1000F has a bit cushier suspension than the bird, by the way. I don't have any complaints about the linkes breaks - but then, I don't race. You just have to use a light touch at slow speeds. Do stop over at the aforementioned XX forun (the .org. one). It's quite a lively bunch ( if you haven't already)
Terry

Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Noe

Congrats on your new bike! Also my dreambike as a replacement to my CBR1000F in a couple of years.

1. Is the distance between the seat and pegs different ? The Hurricane is about 45 cm, what is it on the Blackbird ?

2. What is the reach to the handlebars ? Do you lean more forward and put more weight on your wrists ?

And ofcause you chould stay at this forum. You know alot about the Hurricane and bikes in general, and I would apriciate a lot to hear some more about the Blackbird vs Hurricane.

I'll get the bike one day early, tomorrow, and will try to answer your questions the coming weekend.

When I called the firm and asked if it was MOT-approved, they answered - No, it was to fast and need to be detuned and re-tested []. The guy sounded real serious, so I almost believed him and thought that it perhaps was registered as a restricted bike (some bikes owned by learners are) and then secretly upgraded. Then he said - but when we told them how fast the new owner drives, they approved the stock 165 hp. Maybe that was his revenge, when I tested the bike and he was running mine, I did an overtake at full lean in a open curve on high rpm. I didn't run foolish though. When we came back the guy said - you must have been practicing road racing on tracks ! No, I said, I just took the chance to run full power since it's not my bike [&:]. Then I told him I have done a few laps on track, so he wouldn't rank me crazy. He still did though, and said - there must be some parts missing up there on all people running on tracks. Yes I said - you must remove the tilt alarm in the head by training, otherwise you can’t use the bike the way it is built for and drive safely.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Noe

Looking forward to your review on the "Bird" !!!

Old 08-17-2006, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Noe

You can read my initial driving impressions on https://cbrforum.com/m_142786/mpage_.../tm.htm#145375

1. The distance between seat and pegs appears to be the same. You sits more fixed in the Blackbird due to a narrower saddle. That is great when you want so sitt fixed but it was easier to move around in corners on the Hurricane.

2. I lean a little more forward on the Blackbird, I'm very used to the extreme GSX R, so I dont find this to be a problem. I'ts far better than the GSX R though, as the Hurricane also was. You need to be more aware of knee support to unload the hands on the Blackbird, the seating position of the Hurricane at moderate cruising is outstanding.

3. I was more upright on the Hurricane, but the somewhat more forward position on the Blackbird feels much better in corners. I have a feeling that the Blackbird turns very easy and goes more precise in tight corners, it feels safer in those situations.

4. I guess the touring capabilities are better on the Blackbird, the bike has more power for quick blast on Autobahn. I drive far above 200 km/h continuosly on Autobahn though. If you ride like 180 to 200 km/h at maximum the Hurricane can be at least as good. For Higher speeds the Blackbird takes the game. It is very comfortable to cruise with the Blackbird at 250 km/h, the same speed on the Hurricane takes nerves and perhaps sillyness, and is not as comfortable, perhaps due to the more upright position on the Hurricane.

The ergo on a bike could differ a lot between people, I'm realively short 175 cm. The Hurricane always felt one size to large for me, the Blackbird feels more OK. I guess the Hurricane has better ergo if you are a tall person. You also finds a lot of rewievs on http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?pa...ection=1169561

I saw that som people complained about the reach and recommended bar risers. I dont want or need that, but it could be an issue depending on your lenght. I thought longer people would reach the handles better, but saw that a quite tall guy had changed to rised handles, so I guess I have som use of beeing a 175 cm dwarf in this case.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:07 AM

So, taken in consideration that the Black Bird is a new and more powerful bike, and remove those two points from the equation, how does the Hurricane rate

Old 08-18-2006, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: MarkR

So, taken in consideration that the Black Bird is a new and more powerful bike, and remove those two points from the equation, how does the Hurricane rate

The rating could differ a lot between people and how the bike is used. If I rate the bikes from my point of view and type of driving I would say:

- The early Hurricanes gives tremendous value for money and premium fun, I would give it a 6 on a 10 grade scale compared to any bike. The touring capabilities of the Hurricane is absolutely outstanding, and you could't possibly have more fun on a track when walking away from many modern sport bikes. I thruly loved that bike.

- The Blackbird gets 9 on the same scale to me, and surpasses the awsome GSX-R 1000 -03 which only gets 3 for fast touring and 10 for tracks. I have yet not found any weakness on the Blackbird, it's far above expectations regarding apperance, engine performance, brakes and handling.

I guess the pricing of a recent Hurricane and an early Blackbird is about the same, in that situation the motive for a Hurricane would be quite vage to me.

Quick Reply: CBR traded for Blackbird