CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR 1000F 1988 ECU-CDI Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's happening in three years then Sprock?

Personally I tend to keep bikes ,still got my last three.My Hurricane is gradually being improved ,but have all the standard parts to put back on , anything that gets altered I have original's kept in tact,I buy a seconed part to alter . For me it does everything I want and need.Had it two years now .I bought a second 21k mile donor bike for parts in general, it was rough bodily ,well most fairings etc were missing but mechanicals are sweet.
Jim (the mate I speak of with the other) as I said previously is relatively new to riding. His dream is a Harley .Its an image thing with him, I think to him it willmake him feel a "Proper" Biker to have one n he hankers for the Twin sound. He will get a huge bloody shock when he tries to ride one. That said it would suit his riding , he is happy ticking along everywhere at -10mph under the speed limit , the virtues of the power and ride of the Honda pretty much wasted on him .
Have a great weekend all. Me I'm still stuck with Fkd back, missing the ST Georges Day Parade Ride and the Bike4Life Charity Ride this weekend, GUTTED !

Sparks

Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd suggest that Sprock is referring to all the possibilities that could be wrong with your friend's bike and that in 3 years you should have covered all the bases.
Probably right, too

Your friend should buy a Hardly tractor and leave riding real bikes to guys who have the will and fortitude (and mechanical ability) to do so.
Having said that, the Milwaukee Iron work isn't exactly known for modern precision machines, with the exception of the Porsche designed V Rod which is well known to some of us as the machine from the tractor company that most resembles a modern powerful motorcycle rather than a 1942 vintage relic.
I speak from experience, having rebuilt a 5/7 and a 10/12 Harley from the spokes up.
Best use is as traction engines for farm watepumps - at least then WHEN it breaks you don't have to walk far to get help

Get well soon Sparky LoL

Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 AM

You are not wrong Shadow , Bikes that perform should be ridden to at least somewhere near their full potential ( I like to ride fast ,but I'm no racing expert so don't use it all) but in the year he has owned his he has not had the needle past 90mph what a waste.
Are you actually in Africa ?
Thanks for the message on health,its not all bad Ive plenty of Tramadol and Dihydrocodeine and do tend to abuse em the back is an on going thing , had a bad off back in 95 whilst Dispatch riding for a living, broke both legs and right knee resulting in me walking oddly to compensate for the injuries which in turn has buggered my back.It will pass,soon I hope.

Sparks

Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 AM

All things will pass, Sparky, be they last nights dinner or old injuries. LoL
And yes, in South Africa, more specifically Pinetown, which is about 20K's west of Durban.
(It's hard to be east of Durban unless you're a fish ) But my Mum's family is in Lincolnshire - Cleethorpes. 'Allo dook !

As for your mate - 90MPH - OMG the man hasn't lived - the bike only hits the Hurricane power curve at 100MPH and 6000RPM. He hasn't ridden it at all yet. Oh well, his loss.
Sell it and buy a "sportster" - what a misnomer LoL

Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Is that Mechanical Genius's as they are getting to that age of needing constant attention or ?

What Bikes do you two own out of interest? Sprock & shadow.

I've my 1988 Hurricane on an E plate plus 2nd donor US Import UK registered but a 1987 on a D plate. An older twin cam CB 750/4 kz 1980-81 I forget which on a V plate NGF 5V is the reg , would be good plate for a Nigel someone riding an SV ,last but by no means least a 18'000mile Suzuki GSX 550 1985 on a C plate all with the exception of the donor CBR in nice clean condition ,well looked after and maintained by me including paintwork (my trade ) all have personal tweeks and non standard CBR being the most original apart from Lazer 4into1 , later rear wheel and slight alteration to rear grab rail under seat mount where I fitted a Triumph Tiger rear rack on the back which fits really nicely,follows the contours of the rear end of the bike as if made for it ,I'm really pleased with that last mod as it goes, never seen another like it.
Hope everyones week is going well?

Sparks

Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Sportster Misnomer" feckin hell good un Pete.

Me Sparks - an 87, 90 & 93 cbr1000f(s) , an 08 KLR650 & a 78 Honda GL1000
(Cafe Racer Project) looking for another bike or two once I lose a few boats
to make space for them.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 AM

A fair spread of CBR's, tell me , what's the power difference and ridability difference between the early n later ones I've only riden the early ones?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM

At present
1990 CBR1000F California without the emission crap(and a bunch of other mods)
1981 CB750C

what's the power difference and rideability difference between the early n later ones
The earlier bikes were a tad faster but the later ones have better brakes (and lines) IMO
But under the skin they are basicly the same bike

Old 04-27-2013, 02:39 PM

Hi shadow , I see you have an old CB750 also , you say 750c,is the c as in custom?

You also say that you have moded you 1990 CBR , what have you done , you mention improved braking ,do you mean the linked braking system or there other differences to the later brakes, bigger disc or pads more pistons per unit ? I have read a little on later brakes noting an extra piston but thought that only came in on the linked braking ie when front is applied smaller rear comes into play and visa versa? My brake system is standard, I keep looking out for reasonable priced stainless hoses . That is my first thought anyway.My bike had replacement solid discs on it when I bought her ,the donor bike I bought later on had drilled discs I'm pretty sure that was an improvement in itself ,but tbh the brakes are not as good as they could prehaps be .

Old 04-28-2013, 02:31 AM

My beloved "Pink Pig" Yes C as in Custom.

Mk2 had slotted brake discs. Mk3 had the dcbs braking.
Discs on all are same size but caliper mounts are different so not interchangeable. It has been done but you need mk3 lower fork legs and calipers and hoses to fit dcbs to mk2. Not sure abt mk1.

Mine has 1mm oversize exhaust downpipes and full stainless with short silencers. Dynojets,K&N filter, uprated Reg/rec, shorty levers, slightly stiffer front end, replaced speedo, full Nonfango hard cases, touring screen, etc etc
Next mods will be 1000RR stick coils courtesy of my old friend Sprock (Thanks mate ! ) and a set of HID lights at 6000K and Henry's cam chain tensioner mod, and s/s brake hoses for the front.

Attached Thumbnails CBR 1000F 1988 ECU-CDI Question-cb750c.jpg  

Quick Reply: CBR 1000F 1988 ECU-CDI Question