CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Carb WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb WTF?

Well, I would like to introduce myself.. I'm Aman ,20, from Alabama. I'm not a mechanic BUT I am very hands on. so Im agile with hardware and stuff and understand things for the most parts. Hello to the Forum members You are all Amazing help. Now to my problem, I opened my carb as they were puking gas out the overflow valve out of 3/4 carb so i opened Carb 4 it was fine.. then opened 3... oh the spring came out! and guess what! there was another small spring stuck between the big spring!! I was liek WHAT THE F***.now I tried puting the carb back and I was successful with putting the 4 back togehter and latching the top metal plate that attaches all 4 to stay together but the bottom metal plate wont go on.. it fits carb 1 , 3 and 4 .. and there is a space between 2.. I tried putting the carb on the engine.. and if 1/2 goes then 3/4 wont go and if 3/4 go then 1/2 wont and if all do then it comes out the bottom. or wont go inside the engine enough. + i dont know how to measure float but to my knowledge all look the same distance. so i guess its that Spring.. I checked all the jets.. they are clean.. look new to be honest.. 1 more thing I noticed is that Carb 1 and 3 for some reason have black spots of liek grime on the exit passage of the carb and the intake passage of the engine.. while the other 2 are clean WTF? same on the engine.. the intake passage for 2/4 looks clean and shinny but 1/3 look like grime on em? help me please.. Also My headlights arn't working. I changed bulb won't help.. Changed fuse and fuse box won't help.. and for melted wire. I cant tell .. so whats my next step.. I did read a few peoples post but didn't make much of it.. (My turn lights, tail,brake lights all work BUT the headlight..

Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to this place of displaced members.lol

I'm on my 6th pint and that's a lot to wrap my head around but, What's the history of the bike? Did someone have the carbs apart before you?

I take it that the bike was running and started spewing gas? Or, is this a basket case that you are working on and you are trying to figure out the carb situation?

Were there two springs under one #3? All all the others like that?

We need to sort that out first. The head light is separate and we'll deal with that once she is running.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to be picky, but try to organise your problem and what you've done to
date with a little organisation. You'll get better results, if we don't have to try to
figure out what your problem is, what you've done about it and what those results
were from one really, really long sentence. That said, here's a few thoughts that
might help you out...

Ok, start with what year bike you've got. that helps a lot. Here's a link to the
micro-fiches on all Honda models, sometimes seeing the exploded view helps get
things back together...

HONDA OF TULSA Honda Street Bike Parts Finder

Just select your year, then model and appropriate page.

Do a search in the how-to's in general tech and you'll find a couple of good pictorial
walk-thru's on carb cleaning/re-building. IDoDirt's post is especially tasty.

If you're serious about doing your own wrenching...get ahold of a copy of the factory
manual. There's a thread on that in the general tech, as well. I prefer a physical copy,
but a lot of folks settle for the e-versions available online.

As far as the headlight...follow the wiring thru the harness. Look for any burned, frayed, broken or bare spots. Be patient, electrical is one of the hardest to find the
problem with. Since even a small, fault can lead to your issue. Start at the headlight
and work back through to the battery. Hard to give you clearer instruction,
without publishing a novel.

Feel free to post up some more questions after you've explored these resources.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Headlight. Start the bike put the headlight on high. Jiggle the starter button. See if it comes on

Carbs are some weird voodoo to me, so trust the experts here

Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Aman Lokhandwala
now I tried puting the carb back and I was successful with putting the 4 back togehter and latching the top metal plate that attaches all 4 to stay together but the bottom metal plate wont go on.. it fits carb 1 , 3 and 4 .. and there is a space between 2..
You may be putting the plate on backwards. MadHattr059 was right about looking at the exploded views. The manuals can be found Workshop Manuals - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

The I tried putting the carb on the engine.. and if 1/2 goes then 3/4 wont go and if 3/4 go then 1/2 wont and if all do then it comes out the bottom. or wont go inside the engine enough.
Lubricate the rubbers with some motor oil and it will help mounting them back on the engine. Take your time and make sure the hose clamps are loose as it takes some effort.

1 more thing I noticed is that Carb 1 and 3 for some reason have black spots of liek grime on the exit passage of the carb and the intake passage of the engine.. while the other 2 are clean.
If this is using the factory air box look for poor seals on the rubbers where they attach to the airbox. most came from the factory with a soft asphault sealant around the joints as the rubbers were made for 2 different models and would leak without it. Dirt sucked into the intake will spot up the venturis. If it is more of a carbon you may have a timing issue and carbon is blowing back through the carbs. You should be able to notice that right away if its running though.

Also My headlights arn't working. I changed bulb won't help.. Changed fuse and fuse box won't help.. and for melted wire. I cant tell .. so whats my next step.. I did read a few peoples post but didn't make much of it.. (My turn lights, tail,brake lights all work BUT the headlight..
Good luck. Take your time and check one thing at a time like MadHattr059 said.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 AM

Alrighty folks, Thank you for the info.. bits and peaces help .. So Let's start with carb as everyone suggesting going one by one. My CBR is a 91 and the airbox has been taken out and replaced with 4 pods. I have absolutly no history what so ever on the bike as it was a triple swap bike(owner to trader then trader sold this to me). When I got it it didn't start but soon enough I got it started, when I did there was instantly a leak in the carb. So I decided to take it out and fix it, and now this problem about not lining up is killing me. Is there more info I need to give? please help

Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended having to replace my carb insulator boots. The boots have a ridge inside them and mine had torn. The old ones had turned to stone and were a bear to get on and off. carbs slipped right in with the new ones.
You can get them here
16211-MM5-600 - INSULATOR, CARB - Honda OEM Parts - Cheap Cycle Parts

Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As an fyi to this I have been finding PowerSportsPlus roughly 20 to 40 % cheaperon average than most everywhere else .......eg 116211-MM5-600

Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM

Hello again, So this time I took the carbs and disassembled them, come to find out that carb 3 has a clogged jet and 4 is fine.. I dont know how to change float level setting, if someone could explain it would help. Also before I clean out my jets I wanted to know what Stage 1,2,3 jet kits are? My bike seems to have pod filter and I dont know how to check weather the jet have been upgraded or not. I am interested in this one particullarly
Honda Hurricane CBR1000F CBR1000 1000 F Custom Carburetor Carb Stage 1-3 Jet Kit | eBay

I wanted to point out that I have pod filters and also 4into2into1 delkevic exhaust 14"

Old 06-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Aman, I bought a jet kit from Sigma Racing and I couldn't be happier. They sent 2 complete sets of jets and they will determine what size of main jets you need based on year, mods you have done, and altitude where you live. The instructions that came with the kit are pretty good. I first put in the smaller set and then after a dyno run I replaced them with the larger jets with also adjusting idle screws and raising needle jets with one more spacer Dyno said it was still running lean. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Carb WTF?