CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

carb bowl gasket

Old 11-08-2006, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb bowl gasket

Hello,
I'm new here but have had my '90 CBR 1K for more than a handful of years. I've never really scouted what's available online for it though.

I have a leaky float bowl gasket (O-ring insert). Age has flattened it enough for fuel to seep past. What's the normal solution for this? Has anyone made their own gasket or augmented the OEM gasket with an RTV-type product?

I think I once inquired about a new gasket and it was quite pricey. If that's the only answer, any ideas on the cheapest place to get one?

Apologies if this has been covered before. Everytime I try to search, the search page shuts down my internet browser.

Thank you for any thoughts you might have!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Default RE: carb bowl gasket

There are O'Ring kits available to make your own. They are usually just a roll of O-Ring Rubber a knife and a valcaniser.

Those Honda ones for the carbs are f**king ridicolous price for a handful of O-Rings!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 PM

I agree. You could always try for after market parts and see where that leads you

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 11-08-2006, 05:58 PM

Thank you for the replies!

Trips, where would I find bulk O-ring style gasket maker?

Absent finding a suitable gasket material (like the bulk O-ring stuff), I've been considering using a gasket-maker type stuff (Hylomar or Permatex #2 perhaps) to help with the leak. Ideas about which would work? It's just my right-most carb that drips from the front of the bowl.

Thank you again. I appreciate and welcome any and all input.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:14 PM

If I was going to go through the trouble of taking the carbs out of the bike I'd pay for a new oem gasket.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:01 PM

Do a google search for "O-ring cord".

If you don't want an entire reel hydraulic places will quite often cut a bit off for you in exhange for beer.

I dunno about the US but over here in Australia the gasket with is $44 per Carb!

Forget about gasket maker or any of those other liguid sealants.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 PM

Sometimes, when the owner does not have money for a rebuid kit of the carb, we use Hylomar to seal it. I am prety amazed cause the stuff realy holds on with time and gas. But if it was for me, I would still go for the original or the o-ring string.
Best of luck

Old 11-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

User... try SUDCO... they generaly, have everything. just got zook madura carb needle valves and seats, bowl gaskets. way cheaper than honda too.
Bowl gaskets for my vf1000f... 130$ each, 'cause honda wouldn't sell the o-ring, w/o the bowl... 20$ for 4 o-rings, on E-*** !!!!!!!!!! Check w/ carb rebuild kits, again E-***, the kits often include bowl gasket. I have used permatex#2, applied w/ a toothpic sparingly to patch o-ring nicks, w/ great success too. I would only use a dedicated bowl gasket... Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 AM

Thank you all for the great replies. I'm lookin' around on Sudco right now. I had Hylomar'd the gasket the day I put the thread up - it's cool to hear that it can work. I've only reconnected the fuel line in the last day and it seemed to hold alright. I want to find a permanent solution because I can see that in my usual OCD 'more is best' mentality, I'm gonna end up getting a little inside the bowl. [] . I'll check E-bay for a rebuild kit too (I could really use it anyhow).

I think I need to remove the tank and clean it out - there might be varnish in there. After one ride, I had brown residue in the bowls.

Perhaps you'll indulge me with some more sage advice:
I sprung a motor oil leak from the left crank cover (the round one with 3 Phillips screws holding a plastic cover on). From my foggy memory, the 'crank' bolt is under that cover (trying to recall from the last valve adjustment I did). This came out of nowhere and it's leaking pretty decently. Is there a usual culprit for such a leak? It was almost dark out and I started to take the five [or so] 8 MM bolts out, and it was apparent that a fair bit of oil was going to pour out. I closed it back up so I could research and ask. Haynes isnt much help. And in trying to search on here, I must not have thought up the correct terms. I didn't find much of anything. I welcome and appreciate any thoughts you might have!

Thank you again for the informative and friendly welcome and all the great ideas and advice!

*Moderators: if I should have simply started a new thread, please cut/paste this and/or modify as appropriate to do so.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:44 AM

On 88 cbr the orings are 75mmx2mm i got them from a Hydraulic Suppliers for 2$ for 4. Just super glue them to the bowl to get the shape

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: carb bowl gasket