CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

can't getbike into neutral, after 2 years in mothballs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't getbike into neutral, after 2 years in mothballs.

Been down for a couple of years (me then bike) after injury put her on back burner. Put Marvel's in cylinders, overnight, no joy. Maybe gave half a turn, then seized. Shifted into 2nd and tried a bump start. Now she rolls, with clutch in, but can't get back to neutral. I'm afraid I've done it now.

Maybe you've seen my try to sell her, for way too much, on this forum. However after reading this forum, again and tinkering, I am thinking about getting her going, and maybe switching bars and pegs on an attempt to relieve my hip.so I can keep her.

Any help would be appreciated, as I know any advice from this crew will be useful.

Thank, again,

Patrick

Old 05-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Can't even get a"sucks to be you" post?

Do you think there's a chance - or did I kill her?

Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 AM

If I killed her, I've got someone here, in Dallas that wants a head light. I just can't commit to taking another Hurricane off the road.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sucks to be you! Even if you have completely stuffed the engine, you can usually pick up complete motors for it fairly cheaply, especially in the US. I am surprised no one else have given you any help/ideas about your problem.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the plugs , pull the crank cover and see if it turn with an extension bar and a socket with the clutch held in.

I'm thinking though maybe the cam chain jumped teeth and now you have a piston
up against a valve.

So I'd counter rotate the motor and if it backs off then you have a cam issue and potentially bent valves.

Go from there.

Like Jarvid suggested - plenty of good replacement motors out there at good prices to swap out yours with.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do as Sprock says and try to hand crank. If she is locked up or hits a mechanical stop, you can observe the cam timing by just removing the valve cover. See the manual or the photos in the CCT thread here.
I may not have the whole story here but... How does the clutch lever feel? If the clutch will not operate properly,(weak/leaks internally) you may not be able to change gears. Make sure that the master and slave cylinders are healthy and air free.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by jarvid
Sucks to be you! Even if you have completely stuffed the engine, you can usually pick up complete motors for it fairly cheaply, especially in the US. I am surprised no one else have given you any help/ideas about your problem.
I sure can't afford that, the motor. I think, if the light is the only thing holding this other guy back, I'm gonna sell it to him. Just got news, of a surprise eviction. Landlord selling house. 14 years, and get out, in 30 days. Real nice, huh?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Default thanks Jarvis, Sprock, and CBR2CBR

I think the can chain shipping sounds right. Chattered, like a low battery but stronger.

I can't deal with it. I appreciate the help, but I've already cost this other guy, a week of riding time. Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Any parts you need, just make a fair offer, and I'll get em to you.
Thanks again,
Really like this site,
Patrick

Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dayum Patrick , hate to see anybody getting a run of bad luck like that man. If you were not so far away I'd be on double quick time. Hey good luck with everything and
hope things go better for you going forward. Do stop in now and then if you can man you will always be welcome here.

Maybe post up your bike in the forsale thread !

Old 05-28-2014, 10:35 AM

I did post, for way too much $900,00 lol. Been watching, way too much Pawn Stars, I guess, I expect everything to be a negotiation.
Thanks, for the well wishes.
Patrick

Quick Reply: can't getbike into neutral, after 2 years in mothballs.