CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Can I ride a cbr 1000f ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Peter, I got to agree with what was already said. I would add that they are more suited as a day to day rider than a track bike. They have something like 70 ft/lb torque and do pull hard down low making them great for day to day rides. They pull hard all the way to red and are smooth all they way up.

There are no surprises in the power band and that's what make them so great.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Pete.

As the guys have already said try one on for size. As for the height issue, it's the length of your legs that will determine how much they need to bend. I'm lucky, I've got a long body and short legs

If you're built like me, you might be OK. But there's still the footpeg lowering option and also raising the seat height.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I have alerted Customs at Queenstown airport to your preferences.

Hey, only a couple of days till the Kiwi invasion starts; I hope you will recognize me at the airport, I will be the sad old git that has become friends with an Aussie, surely there can't be that many of them at Queenstown airport?

5 hours until we fly to Melb. PM'd you flight details again.

As the great GP driver Jackie Stewart said (often!) I'm soooo excited!

Back on topic.

Peter, look at the bike with open eyes. Check everything and ask questions here if you have doubts.

Cheers, SB

Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant wait!

Thanks everybody

cant wait toget back tothe North of England where there are plenty of bikes to look at!

I am going to look at the 96 although the colour doesnt float my boat. Kinda got my heart set on red and white. I know its not really a sport bike but it looks like one.

I was originally looking at a BMW 1000 but they look so boring. Curiously they weigh about the same. Just seen a road test of the new Honda CB1100 which also weighs about the same.

I have seen lots of stuff about how heavy the 1000F is but when you put it alongside the opposition it looks ok. I know most modern bikes are a lot lighter but I like keeping both wheels on the ground - must be an age thing!!!

Peter

Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Default Same problem

Hi Peter

I had an accident a few years ago that resulted in similar problems to you, my right knee only bends to 100 - 110 degrees so over the years I have had to overcome this problem last time with a Suzuki GSX1400 and now with my 1000f-j, I have altered a few things with the bike, risers for the bars, I bought a second seat off ebay and had it reprofiled to lift me a little higher and I bought a set of adjestable pegs off ebay. The final mod was to buy a rear brake pedal off ebay and have it heated and bent to take the upward bend out of it. See my pics, I don't have one of the brake pedal but here is the rest.

Costs - brake pedal £12 to buy, £5 to have bent
Adjustable pegs £32
Buy seat and recover £86
Risers - £50

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve

Attached Thumbnails Can I ride a cbr 1000f ????-100_0744.jpg   Can I ride a cbr 1000f ????-100_0468.jpg   Can I ride a cbr 1000f ????-honda-cbr1000f-threequarter-ns.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Default Thanks!!!

Hi Steve

Thanks for that. Like the seat, like the small step keeps it looking right.

I could have bought a 12k miles 96 1000F the other day. Really nice bike but was the later colour scheme black and grey. I would like to have he linked breaks but couldn't live with the colours!

Your bike is my favourite colour scheme - awesome!

Hoping to look at a 9k mile 89 next week. Bit of a price premium with the low miles but might be long term cheaper than sorting a higher mileage bike.

Keep u posted

Peter

Old 01-26-2013, 05:30 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LikeBikes
Bit of a price premium with the low miles but might be long term cheaper than sorting a higher mileage bike.
Exactly right mate, when I think about how much I've spent on my bike I could have bought a minter and still had change.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Default Bought a lot of nearly there....

Yep

Bought a lot of nearly there bargains in the past and thought I was getting a bargain. My son is into classic Jap bikes and he tries just to buy mint bikes. He has RD500, GSXR1100, ZFR100 Exup, LC350, 1000 Blade that are mint and a few projects - RD500 race replica x 2, OWO1 and some other stuff that I dont really recognise.

The projects always end up costing him more than the ones he bought mint!

Its his hobby - if you count the cost you would never do anything!

Having said that, in a way I quite like things in 'used'condition then you are not so preciouis about using them!

I have a Jaguar XJR 2000, very good mechanically but well used, few scratches, marked seats and I kinda like it like that. I'm not scared to park it or use it.

Maybe I just talked myself into buying a cheap bike, dont want something so mint I'm scared to use it or park it.....

Peter

Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 AM

Hi All
Been struggling to get out and look at any bikes due to work pressures, weather and fitting with other people.
Found out by sitting on side by side 89 and 96 bikes that earlier bikes have more leg room due to a different back end. The guy is a dealer with 25 years in the bike business
I have to say found them a bit cramped/impossible for my leg with the false knee. Anyway the guy was very alright and suggested a Pan European. Good leg room but felt a bit like a pram!!!!!

Then he said 'know you're set on a CBR but have you tried a susuki Bandit they are really good for tall riders.'

I could not believe the leg room on the Bandit I could probably ride it as is but lowered pegs and a jack up kit will make it into an armchair!!!!!

Bought a 98% mint 1200 Bandit in black half faired 32k two owners lots of nice bits.

Still planning on buying a Hurricane next winter as want a red and white early bike with white wheels. Nice winter project.

Thanks

Peter

Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Welcome Crew

First or second gen Bandit?

They're great bikes, you didn't go wrong! Quick too.

Quick Reply: Can I ride a cbr 1000f ????