CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

cam chain rattle ? Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam chain rattle ? Video

Do you guys think, that the chain rattle, is the cam chain, or some other chain, the bike runs ok, but the rattle from inside the engine at low Rpm, is starting to annoy me :-)

The bike is a 1989, with 39000 km.

Should you just change the cam tensioner, or also the chain and guides, maybe it´s is a project for Winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htR3dgKEcUk

Thanks
Bobbleboy
Denmark

Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say camchain.......................
change the tensioner and fit the newer model which has a longer plunger.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default +1

Seconded ...........cam chain......s'my winter project too

Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 PM

I think I'm already getting a rep as the disagreeable one, so here goes again. My bike has had the standard cct rattle when cold since I bought it about 22,000 miles ago. When I listen to your Youtube video, I'm hearing a ticking sound that my bike does not make. FWIW, I have a fairly high end 24 bit sound card in my computer which is hooked up to my stereo, so it may be a little easier for me to hear than someone using typical computer speakers. Is this ticking sound what you're referring to? Maybe your valves need adjusting.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 PM

Paco,

now don't ya know Pete's PC as well as my MAC are both equipped with
64 bit virtual xray technology

Anyhow indeed it would be very nice if all it was is a ticking valve.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Where do you get those x-ray cards, I want one. Anyhow, I'm a keyboard player and I make music on my computer. To do this right, you need an aftermarket sound card- the kind that are sold in stores that sell musical intruments and pro audio gear and are not sold in most computer stores. Plus I'm plugged into my stereo system which can have neighbors blocks away complaining about if I so choose. I'm just saying that I don't have the typical computer audio setup, and it may be easier for me to hear what I'm talking about than others. In all other respects, my computer is pretty much normal.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First thing I would say
1 The idle on that bike sounds too low - should be around 1150-1200RPM at idle when warm(or kept on the choke at 1200+revs)
2 The only two chains that it can be are either the camchain
or the primary drive chain. If it's a primary drive chain, the engine has to come out.It's unlikely to be the primary chain, but you never know.
The camchain can be done in the bike.
(I don't buy the valve theory) Not saying it isn't possible, but my bike's done nearly 48000 miles now and NEVER needed the valves reset.

To be honest I wouldn't be pulling the camchain out at this stage - you've clearly never heard a stretched camchain - believe me the bike sounds like a bucket of bolts.
I'd only do the chain if you are having changes in performance, (where the cams go out of alignment due to excessive stretch)or the chain is actually "slapping" against the chain guide.
That noise isn't bad at all really.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:35 PM

+1 again Pete sounds right on seems to be very low idle listening to it and the rest
of what he suggests I'd be going along with too........good advice

Hay Paco my buds same as you he mixes all his bands stuff and goes nuts with the
Hi Def Audio like yerself........I do appreciate your kickass setup and don't doubt
for one minute how good it is........my bud Toms chit's awesome too and he's a
keyboard man like yourself.........you Guys are deep into the sound man !

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Engine noises...hard as h3ll to diagnose. My previous '87 Hurricane, that I had shipped from CA AND the "SHMOHAWK" (previous owner) neglected to tell me about the noise the engine had. I tried to tell myself it was the cct but Honda diagnosed it as an acg chain noise. Well I didn't want any part of that so I eB@yed it with full disclosure. Guy from Boston was happy as heck to buy it. Always wondered what happened to that bike.........

I'm sure that NOT your problem though.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Banned

My 1989 model sounds similar although yours has a tick the same as my FZR 1000. Everyone that has listened to that bike tells me its CCT only. My cane was idling below 1000 revs and I adjusted it to the 1100-1200 range for idle. Once the bike warms up though it seems to go away. I will get the CCT done after I get a few other things sorted like leaky fork seals and brake pads this week.

Last edited by Bordo; 09-01-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: cam chain rattle ? Video