CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   cam chain (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/cam-chain-56718/)

tomih84d 12-30-2007 08:46 PM

cam chain

does anyone have any specs on cam chain free play or recomended service intervals on the chain and cct.

malbojah 12-30-2007 10:03 PM

RE: cam chain

Should be zero freeplay. If I remember correctly, either the cam chain or the tensioner should be replaced around 75k miles

Shadow 12-30-2007 10:08 PM

Mine started rattling 3 months after I fitted a new one, and it's still rattling on startup, goes away after a mile or two when the bike's warm. There's a camchain tensioner mod for the earlier bikes you can do, which stops the rattle, lengthens the life of the chain, which I'm about to fit. Honda brought one out later to resolve the problem but you can modify your current one.
Sorry, no specs, and can't seem to find any in my manual.

tomih84d 01-01-2008 06:47 PM

I've only got about 40k on mine and the rattle from then chain worries me with how bad it sounds

Shadow 01-01-2008 09:21 PM

If you're worried about the noise, the best option is to replace the chain, which is a bit of a job if you're not a bike mechanic, but it's not the worst one by far....I've heard of Hurricanes with 127000 miles up, a total of 7 camchains from new, but no other problems, no oil use, no speedo couplings, nothing ! If you've done 40 000 miles, or even kilo's, replace the chain. Mine's done 38000 miles, and will be getting its THIRD camchain next week, with modified tensioner.WEMOTO in the UK have the modified tensioner, and camchains are cheap. I have pics of camchain removal if you want to have a go yourself....

malbojah 01-02-2008 08:29 AM

Shadow1, are you using a split cam chain with a master link or a Honda OEM type that is endless (requiring the cases to be split)?

Shadow 01-02-2008 09:22 AM

Split DID chain - they'r 2 links too long so have to be shortened. This next one will be rivetted I think........

weekendrider 01-03-2008 05:16 AM

my cam chain use to rattle when it was cold and since i did two track days with the bike it has not made a noise maybe they get a build up in the adjuster.

tomih84d 01-04-2008 06:37 PM

hey shadow1 if you get the chance I would like to see the pics... I'm an ase certified mechanic, so hopefully I can get in there and get the job done. Where did you find the DID split chain for the bike when ever I have looked them up the only thing that it shows it the factory chain.

malbojah 01-04-2008 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: tomih84d

hey shadow1 if you get the chance I would like to see the pics... I'm an ase certified mechanic, so hopefully I can get in there and get the job done. Where did you find the DID split chain for the bike when ever I have looked them up the only thing that it shows it the factory chain.
I know in the old thread title 'Cam Chain again?' someone posted a set of K&L part numbers for the split cam chain and the master link for it. I think it was around $60 for the set at dealer cost (not retail price)