CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

buying a 87 hurricane good idea or bad>

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a 87 hurricane good idea or bad>

I miss my old sportbike bad and driving thru my town today and there is a 87 honda cbr 1000 hurricane. doesnt start run or anything and might have been sitting for a year or two.

two questions on it they are asking 600 and it needs some tlc tailight cover is rashed turn signal cover missing seat is torn and missing a front inner left fairing piece that exposes the fuses. the good is it only has 8900 on the motor.

what should i offer for it? i was thinking 400 cash. and also how hard do u guys and gals think it is going to be to get going i do have some mechanic experiences on two kawis. i had a 96 zx6e and a 06 636 that i loved. and some good work on my yfz450.

let me know what u guys and gals think. i am excited and want to get it but not get in over my head and part it out.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Default RE: buying a 87 hurricane good idea or bad>

mmmm tricky one...there are a lots of canes about £700- £900 ebay etc...some immaculate..me personally wouldnt have it.. but then im no mechanic... seems a lotta hassle to get it road worthy.. best o luck anyway..

Old 08-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some good secondhand parts on e-Bay uk for an 87/88 model.
May be worth a look.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:28 PM

550lbs. is pretty heftie to be considered a sport bike anymore. If you're going oldler-go nakid
Getting it running right will not be the issue, lest it has some elec. gobblin lurking.
Getting it looking correct will be the buck$. (No appreciative value so no return on investment)
Rear Tyre profile is limited, brakes are weak to name a few. Go into the 90's for the rest of the equipment.
Obsevations from experience.

an old calling card now but fond memories

Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15149/15C6EE28C7294B10842419C173A392B0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM

Buy it. Ebay has some of those parts on it right now. The other parts can be order at the Honda dealership. Buy a Honda service manual for your mechanical ills. I use it and do the majority of work myself restoring my 87 Cain. I have no mechanical skills, but learning how to work on it is have the fun of ownership. Rust can be sanded and powdercoated. Seat can be covered. $600 for the bike. Even if you put on the high side of $2000 into it with that mileage I have seen those bikes go on cycle trader for $3500-$4000. Can you get some pics and put them on here. Love the Hurricane, Buy the Hurricane.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:25 PM

i am just wondering how hard do u guys think it will be to get going. it is as dead as a doorknob at the moment.

also if it has been sitting for a year or two what all would i be looking at? draining the tank changing the oil tires carbs what else would i need to look at?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 PM

I would offer 400 and if you can getfor that,do what you just mentioned, then put some fire to it and see what happens. You wont be out much if it doesnt work out and you can part it out. Having timeto work on it is another thing you must consider.

I sure love my 93!!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 Bicklebok - if you see what Dragon 64 has to say about the $4500 offer he received, you can put some effort into it, or part it out and you'd still be ahead. The mileage is probably 108900, not that it's a problem. The bike has clearly been dumped on its left side, so may have a few loose connections. Missing fusebox cover is a dead giveaway. I'd put some light oil into the bores before attempting to fire it. Remove the left side lower plastic cover and crankshaft cover (easy) and turn it over with a ratchet spanner, to ensure nothing's stuck in the internals, after removing the plugs. For $400 I'd buy the thing. Cosmetics are available on e-Bay as mentioned above. You could have a good runner for very little money......or part it out for a profit.
As for what else could be wrong - who knows ? Not easy to answer unless you can strip it down.
Plenty of help here on the Forum though. Download the workshop manuals and you'll see what you're into - easier than it looks !
http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbr/Hon...Manual.pdf>
OR
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/midlife/i...ice_Manual.pdf
and for the Haynes Manual in GIF format for 87-96
http://blackbears.ru/index_en.php?get=manual

Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 AM

Checkand change the spark plugs.Spark plugs can tell you alot on what is going on in a bikes engine. Check out the service manual to see what is what on color of the plugs when taken out.

Quick Reply: buying a 87 hurricane good idea or bad>