CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Break Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:31 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Break Fluid

Ok so changed the front break pads the other day , front callipers hadn't been touched for what looked like ages so took them off and gave them a good clean in new break fluid as well , pistons out blah blah.....

So popped them all back on and bled the breaks completely , so all new fluid in the system . The front breaks while they are improved , they have not improved as much as I would have expected .

So two questions:-
  1. The Haynes manual says to bleed the breaks is a two man job and that both front callipers should be bled at the same time . Now does this mean simultaneously or does it just mean I shouldn't bleed one and not bother with the other?(I'm as sure as I can be there is no air left in the system).
  2. Is there a real performance difference between different brands of break fluid i.e. will the breaking improve if I use a different brand?

Just to let you know I've ridden about 150 - 200 miles , with plenty of hard breaking so they should have bedded in now right?

Thanks Guys

Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the advice guy's , I kinda figured it would be OK to just do both callipers , but when there wasn't a dramatic improvement my mind got working in the twisted kinda way it does

The brake fluid that came out was dark brown and the callipers were filthy so I was expecting dramatic results . Pumped about 750ml of brake fluid through so no bubbles and nice and clean

The brakes work well , but the leaver isn't as firm as I expected , so may try another type of fluid in a couple of days , make sure the pads are well and truly bedded - in

Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, Hawk, ie it retains water - the darker the fluid, the more water (and muck) it contains. Best brake fluid is almost clear, maybe a light champagne colour.
As Steve says, the only time you may feel it is on the track, or they won't fail when they may have due to boiling old fluid, and then you probably won't notice it anyway. I recently replaced my fluids, and no difference in the stopping power, just a bit more peace of mind.....

Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up going to DOT5.1 fluid in my 1991 bike. It is mixable and compatible with DOT4 fluid but has a higher boiling point.

Although there was virtually no difference in feel between DOT4 and DOT5.1 when braking - the clutch felt much smoother using the DOT5.1

A vacuum bleeding tool also seems to do a better job than the old "pumping fluid through with the lever" system.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 PM

I changed pretty much everything on my brakes also this spring and as i was thinking before now i ma sure of it. The biggest problem is that original tubes does not have metal armor so when pressing hard on brakes it swells and that's why the brakes don't feel so precise as newer sportbikes. Also calipers seemed to move a bit and give some extra slag - but as Classic said its all problems of a racetrack

Old 04-15-2009, 03:31 PM

Maybe I'll fit some braided hoses , there were some on e-bay....hmmm. Nah if it aint broke don't fix it , I'm no Valentino Rossi that's for sure . The brakes work well , I just expected more of an improvement .

I suppose it's a testament to Honda how their stuff still works even when neglected.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Someone mentioned "Piece of mind".........in a nutshell,thats all it is.
We did my Front ,Rear & Clutch fluid in about September last year.Yeah they were all like Guiness,no idea when they were last done?

The big surprise was the build up of "gunk" that sits in the bottom of the fluid well,that creamy gell right near the outlet to the Lines.............Which needs to be carefully wiped out with Cotton buds..

Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 AM

some people get to hung up on the ould brake juice i remember some years back i ask my mate "whats's the white stuff in the resovoir" on his lc he said, milk, i said why milk, he said cause there was no washing-up liquid left stupid!

Quick Reply: Break Fluid