CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

brake caliper problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake caliper problem

Hi all

This morning i was riding and i heard a sound like something was loose on the front end. i checked the wheel bolts all is fine, checked the wheel if it is loose fom side to side , fine. I checked the caliper right is fine but left one is loose, i retigtened the caliper same thig, so i shake the steering from side to side, toc to toc, ti apllied the brake no ore noise, bolts are fine etc... any ideas , i whillbleed the rake to make sure the pads aon the disk ..any ideas ?

thanks in adavance.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: brake caliper problem

Karl, check the bolts holding your discs on the wheel - may be loose......?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:42 AM

i"ll do that but i was thiking...may the piston is stuck thus not seating the pad correctly

Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Final diagnostic: Dead right front wheel bearing ! i'll change them both at 13.21 each it is a joke!

have a goo day thanks for the help

Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 PM

I did change both bearing, it took me an hour.longest part was to take the car and go to the bearing co near my place Part number:6004uu. Man wasI lucky whenI saw the state ofthe right bearingit could have let go anytime, there was freeplay in the wheel ( side to side) asI was turning the steering left and right,that explains the toc toc toc ,it was the Brake calliper hitting the disk because of the freeplay of the wheel.When I removed the wheel the cover of the right bearing was off and there was two ***** missing ( luckily it did not collapse they could have been mine missing after the crash LOL) and to come back home I have to take the highway for 2 km. Thinking that yesterday went for a 150kms ride without knowing. I was lucky if ithad collapse it would have interesting for a few moments.

Thanks Shadow. Your great within ten minutes of my post you putted a your guess.

You guys are a great bunch!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:02 PM

I'm soooooooooo glad you found it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've seen what happens when a bearing siezes at speed - it's not good for the rider......[X(][X(][X(]
I didn't understand - toc-toc-toc in your description, fortunately it didn't matter.......
How you could lose two ***** out of a bearing which has a seal over it is a mystery - unless they were ground away by pressure and friction......not good - going to replace mine too !

Old 05-26-2008, 03:38 AM

Guys,
Hate to ad insult to injury, BUT you shouldnt be paying that much for the bearings. They are a 'standard size' and for instance, WEMOTO do them for 4 quid each. Maybe you paid for the seals at the same time? Anyway, had to replace mine recently, went out after salt had been applied to road, bearings must have ground away. Nice now though:-)

Ara

Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 AM

Well now you guys got me thinking....how often or at what miles/kil should you change your wheel bearings?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 AM

I did mine at 40,000 Kilo's, now done 65000 Kilo's and considering doing them again.
I had a friend blow his rear bearings on a trip, and he had to get help from a friend 500 kilo's away, as there were no bearings around, or facilites to repair the bike where he was stuck. Took him 3 days to get home (with his bike on a trailer)
They are items which rarely fail, but when they do.......[X(][X(]
They're so cheap, makes you wonder why we don't change them more often.....
And I'm as guilty as the next man !!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

And I'm as guilty as the next man !!
I am the next man. I'm up to 110240 km on my bike with the original bearings (Have the front, just no tools have been made for the install yet)

Quick Reply: brake caliper problem