CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Brake bleeding issues, Linked brake model.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bicklebok
I have wrestled with mine quite a bit (about a gallon of brake fluid! LOL)so I may be able to offer some insight. Did you open the orifice bolt on the front forks when bleeding? I forgot which calipers you have to do it for but I think its for but I can look in the manual. Didnt see wheere you mentioned that in your post.

I ended up putting teflon tape on my bleeder screw threads and putting a vacuum pump on it. I think it can be done without it, but were a B to bleed!
Sorry I didn't mention I did screw out the secondary master cylinder screw before I started, a work colleague of mine has a vaccum bleeder device, it's starting to sound like I may need to borrow it to overcome my problems, after reading through your previous experiences.......

Old 10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a work colleague of mine has a vaccum bleeder device, it's starting to sound like I may need to borrow it to overcome my problems, after reading through your previous experiences.......
It will definitely help.
If you go this route, I'd recommend putting some teflon tape on the threads of the bleeders like bicklebok mentioned. What can happen is that you'll vac air through the threads and it will seem like you're getting it, but in reality more air can be getting in.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 AM

I never could get it to work good with just the vaccum until i put teflon tape on the bleeder screw threads. I think the vauum was pulling air back through the threads when I loosened them.

Do you have a good pedal on the rear brake pedal?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bicklebok
I never could get it to work good with just the vaccum until i put teflon tape on the bleeder screw threads. I think the vauum was pulling air back through the threads when I loosened them.

Do you have a good pedal on the rear brake pedal?
I have a reasonable lever & pedal, but both these can be improved upon by pumping them, which is a sure sign of air in the system.

My main concern at the moment is the ammount of air I am managing to bleed out everytime I bleed all the cylinders, I wonder could it be that air is entering the system through the piston seals, however, I didn't experience the condition before I removed the calipers...

I am considering locking off each individual cylinder with some flexible pipe clamps and bleading each cylinder in turn slowly and carefully, I'm also considering removing the calipers one at a time for a close visual inspection...

Black

Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very surprised if your getting air past the piston seals , I think you'd be more likely to leak fluid past them first as the fluid is under pressure when the leaver is pulled . I'm still inclined to think it's getting in when you slacken off the bleed nipple.

BTW what's teflon tape , is it the stuff plumbers use on threaded joints?
I've got loads of that stuff , I'll give it a go next time.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:14 PM

I fought my brakes about 2 months and came up with every possible theory to do with linked brakes bleeding problems. At the time, there were several members on the forum with linked brakes and they were telling me to use the vacuum. Finally I broke down and bought one. I think it cost about $30. You will need it to synch your carbs if you ever plan on doing that yourself, so its a worthwhile investment.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Rider
Hi all,.............................................. ....................

I have adhered to the bleeding sequence

I succesfully bled each bleed screw as above, but upon double checking by repeating the procedure the following day to ensure any accumulation of small air bubbles, had been expelled, I encountered far more air out of each bleed screw than I ever expected to see......

anyone have any clues or similar experiences, I'm starting to run out of ideas.......

Best wishes

John
There is no mention of opening the orifice bolt.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 AM

Sorry I did fail to mention that I had undone the capscrew on the front auxiliary master cylinder before I began the procedure, I 'll have another attempt to purge the system of air, this coming weekend when I can again work in the luxury of daylight, (here in the cold, dark industrial north)

Black

Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told after bleeding the brakes to take it out for spin and see how the brakes are and then bleed them again.
If you think they are good, then leave them. The saying says " if its not broke don't fix it'.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding issues, Linked brake model.