CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Braided stainless steel brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Braided stainless steel brake lines

G'Day Guys,

In my seeming never ending quest for that perfect braking experience (perfect bike really), I'm going to go right through my CBRs brakes prior to the riding season starting down under.

I've just ordered discs and pads and am now looking at replacing the standard lines with braided stainless. I'll be running double lines from the master cylinder with a double banjo bolt, rather than the up and over method used by Soichiro. Also replacing the rear brake line. My steed is a very late '91, so it does not have linked brakes.

What have people used?

I found these - Link - and wondered what experience - if any - you guys have had.

Cheers, SB

PS: For those happy to wander from standard discs, I just bought these - LINK - and they are on sale at the minute! Used them before and apart from a low speed squeal when stopping the last few feet say coming up to the traffic lights, they have been exceptional. That also might be the pads I am using.

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 07-29-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Braided SS lines are state-of-the-art. Basically, this is firmly established tech.
The best deal is the least expensive hose that meets your esthetics.

The double banjo is the standard hook-up for upgrades, to my knowledge.

Don't forget new crush-rings...7 (3+2+2) for the front and 4 (2+2) for the rear
connections. You'll also need to GET a double-banjo bolt for the front MC.

Also, a lot of folks have had good success using a large syringe (vet supply) and
pushing fluid UP from the calipers. If you're careful, the lines are easier and/or
need less to purge/bleed, when replacing the fluid.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 07-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi SB .... thanks for the link ... I've been looking for some feedback on these discs for a while, as my fronts need replacing.

As for brake lines, I've used Hel on my last few bikes and have found them really good, although, I haven't fitted them to my cbr yet .... they were awesome on my GSX1400 and GSXR750 .... 100% vote from me

We Sell HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Accessories

I think the "race spec" option is the one you're looking for .....

cheers

Last edited by shakey; 07-29-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ern, I'm well aquainted with the ss lines, have used them on all my bikes since the early 90s - with the twin lines from the master cylinder.

More was asking if anyone had experience with the Canadian firm in the link as that is about 1/4 the cost we would pay down here!

And reverse bleeding is the ONLY way to go. I have access to a pump from the mechanic next door.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

This is the brand I went with.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
This is the brand I went with.

Thanks Indy. What set up did you use? Original or twin lines at the front?

I see they do a clutch line as well.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Banned

Seb,
I went with HEL " full length race lines " and love them. I did front and rear but didn't worry about the clutch line. A bit exxy yes but they are top quality. They really smartened up the front brakes. Considering the older brake technology from those days they did a great job there. Of course there are cheaper versions' As we all know here in Oz we pay top dollar for pretty much everything and you have to look elsewhere for a better deal. I went for the two lines separate to each side and not the over the guard set up. I believe Galfer also make a good set for these bikes as well.

HEL Performance Australia

Pashnit.com also have a deal at the moment for a free rear line if you buy the front lines ( Galfer ). Check this link out mate

Galfer Brake Line Part Numbers | Buy Now | Pashnit Moto

Old 07-30-2012, 10:37 AM

I bought mine out of ebay, from a Canadian company, but it was quite some time ago and I can't say for sure it is the same one. I am quite happy with them, and the customer service was really good. I remember interchanging several emails and even talking on the phone with them to make sure we were on the same page about the sizes and fittings. They also try to get me the best deal for shipping. I choose the blue lines and they look very nice.

Javier.

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Thanks Ern, I'm well aquainted with the ss lines, have used them on all my bikes since the early 90s - with the twin lines from the master cylinder.

More was asking if anyone had experience with the Canadian firm in the link as that is about 1/4 the cost we would pay down here!

And reverse bleeding is the ONLY way to go. I have access to a pump from the mechanic next door.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I went with the two on the front brakes, clutch, and rear.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jajgarcia
I bought mine out of ebay, from a Canadian company, but it was quite some time ago and I can't say for sure it is the same one. I am quite happy with them, and the customer service was really good. I remember interchanging several emails and even talking on the phone with them to make sure we were on the same page about the sizes and fittings. They also try to get me the best deal for shipping. I choose the blue lines and they look very nice.

Javier.
Thanks Javier, that's what I was looking for. The company asks for what banjo end angles, length of line etc. For the cost I'll do twin lines to the front, rear brake line and clutch line. A few minutes with a piece of wire will get me the lengths, and I'll referece the banjos online with that I see (or need for the twin lines) on the bike.

Thank you Shakey, Bordo and Indy for your responses as well.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 07-30-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Braided stainless steel brake lines