CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Boots

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boots

Been trying to figure out what to do with my tax refund. Can't afford a new bike--though I did locate a new '07 VFR with ABS for about $7500 US--so I thought I might get some new gear. Read a long thread on the ADV rider forum about boots, but they're mostly looking at dual sport boots. I live in middle Georgia and ride year round, though most of the time it's hot--90-100 f hot. And humid. And it rains every afternoon in the summer. So I was thinking of Sidi Vertigo Airs ($300) for protection and ventilation, but they wouldn't help much in the rain. The regular Vertigo (also $300) isn't perforated, but it has a vent that can be opened and closed, and Sidi claims it keeps out water. (I assume that means while riding, not wading.) Then someone mentioned Vendramini Steel Marathons ($399), which have a waterproof/breathable liner and a layer of Outlast fabric to help regulate the temperature. The protection seems comparable to the Vertigos. I've been wearing Hein Gericke waterproof touring boots, but they don't have nearly as much protection as these others, nor do my old Alpinestars.

So I thought I would check with a more rational crowd, and who's more rational than someone who rides a 15-20-year-old carbureted bike at triple digit speeds while shooting photos and video?

So what are you guys wearing for street only use on a Hurrycane? Is this kind of protection overkill? Anyone wearing Vertigos or Vendraminis? Anyone have experience with both? I've got sort of big calves, but they do fit, though snugly, in my other boots, so I don't know if I need that adjustability you get with the Vertigos. I live out in the sticks, so trying on high-end boots is a logistical problem. I would also like something comfy enough to wear for a bit of walking, though I'm not expecting the miracle combination of great riding boot and great hiking boot in one.

Any thoughts?

Craig

Old 03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the reg Sidi Vertigos n love em. They have kept my feet dry in most wet conditions, caught out in the rain, summer t-storm etc. Only time I recall my feet getting wet is riding in a monsooon last summer lol. It was really just a summer t-storm, but we all rode in it for over an hour. I think most of the wetness was from water running down my leg into the boots.

The Vertigos have a adjustable calf, just depends on how big your calves are lol. I have chicken legs so lol.

Had mine for 3 years now, love em, paid for themselves a couple times the first year

Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on Sidi Vertigos quality. I've got a lot of miles, both street & track on mine, & they're still going strong. I ride in cold & hot weather as well, & my Vertigos have been very comfortable. I don't use any kind of special sock either...just good old 50/50 white tube socks. Vertigos aren't designed for extended walking but short distances are comfortable.

Overkill?...no, not if you're wanting great protection, nice styling, & reasonable comfort. ;-) However, if you want something that is more for walking, an Alpinestars Touring boot or equiv might be better for your purposes.

I use my Alpinestars touring boots as daily-wear commuters much of the time. They are protective, durable, comfortable, & good for walking.

I'd like to think I'm in the more "rational crowd". ;-) I believe in good gear for protection. Good luck on your decision.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Akito touring boots - 4 years now, waterproof, comfortable and won't cost anywhere near what the Sidi's do.
They are not "fashion items" but they work well.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I regularly ride with the AlpineStars S-MX Plus boots. They're some of the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I regularly ride with the AlpineStars S-MX Plus boots. They're some of the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.
+1 on the SMX plus boots.

Also used the Sidi Vertigo Gortex - nice boot but expensive and harder to walk in.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

+1 on the Alpinestars and I also have a pair of Icon Field Armor Boots

Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

I'm a Sidi Vertigo man myself

Great protection , don't look too bad and I can walk around town in them for an hour or so a bit clumpy to walk in but any boots with protection will be

Had them a year now and they're as good as new.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:08 PM

I got my Sidi vertigos a couple of months ago as my everyday boot. They are excellant , rain , sleet , all good. My usual boots RST etc are no comparison.

SIDI all the way

Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 PM

My ex-road racer son helped my wife pick out some Sidi Vertigo boots for me last summer. The fit is very good. I like the adjustable calf. Close the vents in the cold, open when hot. I avoided rain last year so I can't tell you anything about water protection.

Quick Reply: Boots