CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Blues bent & buckled bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some rash on my side covers including a gash right through the ride main cover. I took a slightly different approach to fixing it. I cut strips of plumbing pipe (ABS) and ground some into powder. I then fillled the big holes with the strips and melted them with a blowtorch so that they stuck. Then I filled in with the powdered bits and hit that with the blowtorch. It left an ugly mess which I then sanded the crap out of. It looked okay but I left the finishing off to professionals as I was having the whole bike painted anyways.

My repairs were certainly strong enough.

You've done a great job and it looks fine. I hope you have no residual aches and pains from your close encounter with mother nature.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 PM

good to hav u back blue..take heart..i have got good ideas on plastic repair..i have done mine before with molten fibreglass messy but it worked.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 AM

Thanks again fellas. My old girl is an 87. Quite a bit smaller than the later models & designed differently too. Not only have I been mending the plastic but I've had to work out how to fix lots of other little things too. Stuff like mirror mounts made out of the angle off a bed frame. She won't look like new at least not for a few years yet but you can't rush these things. Still have rashed up indicators & the plastic on the mirrors is torn but all there.
Took her for a ride this evening minus plastic. About a 1/2 hour around the streets just to see if she's OK & to see if my hand would be OK. So far so good but my home made exhaust is horribly loud. The missus says it's not too bad but we'll see.
The physio has given me lots of toys to play with & they work when I use them. Hopefully I might get to paint her early next week. Then it's back on the road again.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just a little worried that the Plastex may pucker if it gets hot as it melts easily.
Maybe line the areas where the plastex is with some sore of heavy A/C foil
or something to shield the plastic from the heat. ...your own custom heat shield
for the plastic.........just an idea......thinking out loud.....looks so good be a
shame to see it go wobbly

With the physio........keep at it and at it......Make it a mission...........the early days are critical
My right arm/elbow has 22" of stainless wire and 14 screws in it they took the two
8" metal rods out a year ago ........long story...........it took me two years to get it back to about
95% of what it was. Keep at it .......it's real importent

Last edited by Sprock; 08-08-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe line the areas where the plastex is with some sore of heavy A/C foil
or something to shield the plastic from the heat.
I think that's a good idea. Mine is insulated (with what appears to be thin fiberglass insualtion) and then covered in foil.
You could use that foil tape...like you would use for insulating heat trace. That would work good.

My right arm/elbow has 22" of stainless wire and 14 screws in it they took the two
8" metal rods out a year ago .
Dang, quite the spill, eh? I've been really lucky, I guess. I've ended up in the woods many times when skiing. Even ended up in a parking lot pinned under the back of a car once...
No breaks, though.. (knock on wood)

Old 08-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Default yeah it was

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I think that's a good idea. Mine is insulated (with what appears to be thin fiberglass insualtion) and then covered in foil.
You could use that foil tape...like you would use for insulating heat trace. That would work good.

Dang, quite the spill, eh? I've been really lucky, I guess. I've ended up in the woods many times when skiing. Even ended up in a parking lot pinned under the back of a car once...
No breaks, though.. (knock on wood)
8 hours on the slab getting it put back together, bone out through the
jacket ......a bad one.........I was racing up the top of Jay Peak VT
caught an edge ..........got launched and landed on a slab of ice at 45mph
.....dead stop

I had to work the chit out of it to get it working again......s'why if you ever
have chit like this happen bite down no matter how sore and force it to
work again........ya have to.

yeah great minds think a like foil A/C tape and thin fiberglass would do it.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:24 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluebeard
Thanks again fellas. My old girl is an 87. Quite a bit smaller than the later models & designed differently too. Not only have I been mending the plastic but I've had to work out how to fix lots of other little things too. Stuff like mirror mounts made out of the angle off a bed frame. She won't look like new at least not for a few years yet but you can't rush these things. Still have rashed up indicators & the plastic on the mirrors is torn but all there.
Took her for a ride this evening minus plastic. About a 1/2 hour around the streets just to see if she's OK & to see if my hand would be OK. So far so good but my home made exhaust is horribly loud. The missus says it's not too bad but we'll see.
The physio has given me lots of toys to play with & they work when I use them. Hopefully I might get to paint her early next week. Then it's back on the road again.
Once you get them plastics on mate there'll be no stoppin' ya!!

Like Sprock says 'GET PLAYIN' WITH THEM TOYS' you need that hand to get better!

As far as heat shielding is concerned , this guy is the original 'heat shield designer', so I think he's probably got it covered

Old 08-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Me thinks I may insulate it as close to original with foam but then cover it with foil. Light & not as bulky as the stuff I used before. Just remember that I haven't sprayed the bike yet. I've never done that before so probably runs & dribbles if I even get the paint on there at all. Might end up using a brush & roller. lol
Toys can be lots of fun depending on who's using them. I got plastic ones, rubber ones, squishy ones. Hell I even got one thats bigger than standard.
Ooo. Ice doesn't have any give. At least the tree moves a tiny bit & I bounced off. My brake was only minor. I can't even imagine putting bones through my jacket. Must be made of tougher stuff than me. I know how much exercising mine hurts & they tell me mine is one of the least painful brakes in the body. Reminds us of our own mortality though.
Anyway picked up the spray gear last night. Only a few more bits to gather & a small amount of repair & then I'll see what mess I can make. At least it'll be my mess.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:07 PM

Hey there Bluebeard,

Good to hear your in one piece. You'll be right with the painting. I did the lower pieces on my 94 with a spray can. 4 - 5 light coats and she looked factory. The key is to take ya time and do light coats.

Cheers and looking forward to seeing the final result...

Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Default that it does

Reminds us of our own mortality though.
It most certainly does and the experience helps keep you safer later.

Well like Bazman sez build up your coats of paint and be in motion
with the can or gun when you come in over the fairing.......s'way
my bro in law taught me to do it and he's in the biz........but om
still a rookie at it though.........it's quite the art form

Quick Reply: Blues bent & buckled bike