CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Blackbird more comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackbird more comfortable?

I´ve got pain in my butt after 1 hour ride and constant pain in my right wrist. I am 195 cm tall which doesnt make it easier.
Anybody knows if the Blackbird is more comfortable and would solve this?
Right now I´m using airhawk on my seat and have raised the handlebars and put them more outwords as a emergency solution. The FJR 1300 would surely solve the problems but its a little bit to expensive and to much "goldwing?"

Old 04-19-2007, 02:58 AM
Default RE: Blackbird more comfortable?

I changed from CBR 1000 F to Blackbird last year. The generalimpression was that the new bike has a better ergo for active and fast driving, but not as good as the CBR 1000 F in town and on roads attouring pace. If I remember right, others in this forum also having tested both bikes said that the Blackbird is less comfy. You ride in a more upright position on the 1000 F, the seating position on the Blackbird is almostlike on recent sport bikes, although not as extreme as on sport bikes a few years ago. I'm 175 cm's andfeels the Blackbird as comfy as the 1000 F after installing VFR 800 handle bars on the Blackbird. TheVFR barsare raised, wider and located closer to the driver. The foot pegs are slightly higher on the Blackbird, i.ethe knee-room is better on the 1000 F for tall persons. So, mybetis that the Blackbird would be lesscomfy for you.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 AM

rhino94 raised the handlebars and put them more outwords

Is this not cancelling itself out ? - raising the bars makes yousit more upright but widening the bars will make you lean forwards again.

I raised my bars a little but then I rotated them slightly towards myself to give them a more natural place when you reach for them.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 AM

Try what I have done with my CBR she is very comfy. I had the local lad re do my seat and then bulked it up with a lamswool over I am also 6 foot 3 and have found it to be very comfy especially on a 500 Kl trip on a weekend

Old 04-19-2007, 04:07 PM

Is this not cancelling itself out ? - raising the bars makes yousit more upright but widening the bars will make you lean forwards again.

I raised my bars a little but then I rotated them slightly towards myself to give them a more natural place when you reach for them.
Well yes but it is not much outwards and the reason I wanted them that way is that the way they are angled originally, the angle of the wrist is otherwise too much inwards which means that the pressure is on the outside of the palm. Now it is on the whole palm.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: waz57

Try what I have done with my CBR she is very comfy. I had the local lad re do my seat and then bulked it up with a lamswool over I am also 6 foot 3 and have found it to be very comfy especially on a 500 Kl trip on a weekend
It looks nice but I have come to a point where I ask myself how much should I spend on this bike compared to buying another one.

R1000, I knew you had experience of both bikes and hoped that you would answer. Unfortunately the answer was the way I expected since I have tried sitting on it in the local store.
Any other suggestions? Hayabusa is not enough touring, I cant buy a Kawasaki ZX12 since I promised my self never more a Kawa due to the poor quality I have experienced i earlier bikes.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Not easy to give a good advice since you are a giant compared to me J and the 1000F is not easy to replace for reasonable money with something that is abetter bike. My guess is that the FJR 1300 would be almost a perfect bike and there is really not much Goldwing about it other than the shaft drive. The FJR is a well designed and good lookingbike that handles well. I racedvery even with a FJR 1300 on Gelleråsen with my Hurricane last year, the FJR was slightly stronger on the main straight but I had better tyres and could go faster in turns. Many of the newer sport bikes were left behind both the FJR and the Hurricane. If you want more power than 145 hpit is just to put on an aftermarket system. I was in factinterested in themlast yearas an alternative to my Hurricane which I decided to sell before it was totally worn, and have read a lot of good comments for the FJR 1300, like on http://www.motorcycledaily.com/17apr...004fjr1300.htm But the bike is somewhatto large for me and like you are saying they cost quite a lot. Perhaps you can search on www.blocket.se and see if there are any for a reasonable price at this moment? A Blackbird with VFR 800 bars and lowered foot pegs is probably also a very good option and they cost less than the Yamaha and have a sportier image and better performances.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 PM

There are a few more things you can do.

1. Put motorcross/streeter bars on.
2. Get your seat re-foamed and add and inch or 2 to its height. Note though if you just get the usual soft foam added to the top you wont get much extra height because the foam will be squished. To get the good height you need to have the seat re-foamed with some rock harm foam on the bottom of the seat and then the usual amount of soft foam on top.

If you do that you'll probably want ot go with a touring screen to allow for the fact you'll be sitting up higher.

With the ZX-12's the quality isnt to bad for a Kwaka, but they are hard on ya wrists and can be expensive when it comes to doing the valve shims as you have to drop the engine due to lack of clearance. Also the re-sale is ****house.

But **** they go though.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:27 AM

I have traveled 25000km in the last 2 years on my cbr1000f i am 184cm. The bike is good for 2 to 3 hours at a time. I test road the cbr1100xx,1000vtr andcbr1000 fireblade thay all seemed to put too much pressure on my arms. The old bike is comfy and forgiving. ps you can bag up a vtrat 10500 shifts and around 190km in a drag

Old 04-20-2007, 07:02 PM

Thanks R1000, can you further explain the possibility for more power with an aftermarket system?
Also following your link to the fjr page, the 2004 model and newer seems to be the right choice?

Thanks also to weekendrider, trips anddean0 for answering.

Quick Reply: Blackbird more comfortable?