CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Blackbird or 1000F - Sport Touring

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I know exactly what you're talking about....

I've seen the same thing on other boards, too...

Some people just have this idea in their heads of something, and any time anyone threatens that idea... they get all bent out of shape..
Not being able to accept your own faults is pretty childish..... but not being able to accept your bike's faults is just retarded...

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 08-10-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by leanit
...........I guess it is a similiar situation we have on the VFR site I'm a member of. If a newbie asked which generation of the VFR is best, 20-30 responses within a few hours would spark all kind of debates...........The VFR is a great bike and would make a great tourer for two midgets but at 6'2" and 220 - 230 lbs, me and the mrs just can't feel comfortable..............
That is why I think the 1kF and xx are better suited for S/T. For years the bike magazines have said that the VFR is almost the prefect bike, it just needs to be bigger and at least 1,000cc (aka, 1kF & xx). They have said it for many years and it has fallen on death ears at Honda.

Honda is still my choice of ride so.....with harder to find, higher priced xx's in limited colors (mostly made in black)...........1kF I own.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 08-11-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: ?siht daer uoy naC
Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all said and done..never ridden a xx,would sure like too..will be my next bike..but i love my 1000F.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
For years the bike magazines have said that the VFR is almost the prefect bike, it just needs to be bigger and at least 1,000cc (aka, 1kF & xx). They have said it for many years and it has fallen on death ears at Honda.
If the suggested VFR1200S and VFR1200T do get released then honda have listened.

1200cc, V4, Shaft drive, sport or touring models - sounds good to me.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Default New VFR

Originally Posted by Dean0
If the suggested VFR1200S and VFR1200T do get released then honda have listened.

I have been following this story and to be frank...riders who have longed for a new, more powerful VFR may suffer a little sticker shock. My local dealer predicted $16,000 for a VFR1200T. Considering I paid $10,250.00 OTD for my 2007, my heart sank. If I had added in bags ($1,000 installed) I still would have been nearly $5000 under that "improved price."
I'm afraid they will be getting rid of the ST1300 as well which is also a great touring mount. The cost of advancement I guess.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 PM

I've ridden both, and here is my short story re:comparo...

Comfort (stock) : XX is sportier with a smalle seat and lower bars, but the F bars are a little farther away, so the bars are a push. Pegs are about the same...maybe slightly higher on the XX

Handling: the XX is better in every regard.

Motor: The XX motor is one of the best ever, in any motorcycle. The F mill is a fine one, but it's no match for the XX. The XX is way smoother, quieter, more powerful everywhere with a slicker transmission, and it gets better MPG. No contest here.

Suitability to touring after some mods: I add this in because so many folks to S/T do this. IMO the F is better in this regard. With mods (high bars, big screen, good seat, luggage) the F, to me, comes into its own as a bike. The XX when done up this way just seems like a sportbike with bags on it.

Overall it's not really a fair fight in the first place...the F was essentially unchanged since the 2nd gen one appeared in Europe in what, 1990? The XX is a more modern bike, of course there are aspects of it that are better.

If only they'd made A CBR-XF along with the XX, that woulda been sumthin'

Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean0

If that is the true intention I agree. A CBR1200xx, with a compact V4, shaft drive, 6 to 6.5 gal tank and under tail pipes called a VFR would be great. However, the bikes in the photos don’t look anything like that.They don't look like they have been enlarged to meet the demands of the S/T customers. The VFR was a midsized S/T for smaller 1-up riders (I have friends that loved theirs but parted with them due to the small size).Honda could have continued to make the VFR as is but also included a 1200cc big brother. The whole point of this thread is about someone wanting to move from the VFR to a roomier S/Ting machine.

I think that the boys at Honda, up in mahogany row, have been smoking to many bananas lately. Aparrently they don't read the magazines either.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 08-12-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
I've ridden both, and here is my short story re:comparo...

Comfort (stock) : XX is sportier with a smalle seat and lower bars, but the F bars are a little farther away, so the bars are a push. Pegs are about the same...maybe slightly higher on the XX

Handling: the XX is better in every regard.

Motor: The XX motor is one of the best ever, in any motorcycle. The F mill is a fine one, but it's no match for the XX. The XX is way smoother, quieter, more powerful everywhere with a slicker transmission, and it gets better MPG. No contest here.

Suitability to touring after some mods: I add this in because so many folks to S/T do this. IMO the F is better in this regard. With mods (high bars, big screen, good seat, luggage) the F, to me, comes into its own as a bike. The XX when done up this way just seems like a sportbike with bags on it.

Overall it's not really a fair fight in the first place...the F was essentially unchanged since the 2nd gen one appeared in Europe in what, 1990? The XX is a more modern bike, of course there are aspects of it that are better.

If only they'd made A CBR-XF along with the XX, that woulda been sumthin'
Thanks Dr,
I fair comparison if ever I saw one. Information I can share which should be helpful. Thanks again, JD

Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Default XX or F

I too have owned both. At the same time for a bit. I loved my Cane. Put 40,000 some odd miles on it in two years, both commuting and touring. It was comfy, powerful, and fast. I wasn't really looking to replace it, but happened to see a Bird on ebay that I couldn't take my eyes off of. To make the story short, I bought the Bird and sold the Cane. As I stated earlier, I owned them both for awhile, but after riding the Bird, the Cane did alot of setting and I hated to see that. Sold the Cane. The Bird IS better in most all aspects and for those of you starting out your reply with " I have never ridden a Bird but..." you simply have no idea.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by razincane90
I wasn't really looking to replace it, but happened to see a Bird on ebay that I couldn't take my eyes off of. To make the story short, I bought the Bird and sold the Cane.
Mine wasn't on ebay but i know exactly how this feels.

Enjoyed the cane but enjoying the bird more

Quick Reply: Blackbird or 1000F - Sport Touring