CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Blackbird or 1000F - Sport Touring

Old 08-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackbird or 1000F - Sport Touring

All right gang, here's a tough one!
On my VFR site, one of the members asked the $1,000,000 question. If you were to decide to build a sport tourer, would you go with the BBird or the Cane? You know how I feel but that is because I bought the F model without even considering the Bird. I told him to check out this site for more detailed inputs. I see he hasn 't joined and asked that question so I'll do it for him.
I quoted the better mpg, wind protection, roomier ergos and the best damn stock seat ever put on a Honda. Now tell him what you think and I will relay. Thanks, JD

Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never ridden a 'Bird', so I can't compare the two , but it was supposed to be the 1000F replacement and none here wants one????

I'd like to try one and if I was looking for a different bike the 'Bird' would be top of the list , though if I was gonna' build a bike , the parts situation is probably better for the 'Bird'.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna answer this question with a quote from the movie "Raging Bull"

Trout: How could you ask me a question like that? How could you ask me? I'm your brother. You ask me that? Where do you get your ***** big enough to ask me that? And on the main page of the 'Cane board?
leanit: Just tell me.
Trout: I'm not answerin' ya. I'm not gonna answer that. It's stupid.
leanit: You're very smart Sir Trout. You give me all these answers, but you ain't givin' me the right answer. I'm askin' ya again....1000F or the Blackbird?
Trout
: I'm not gonna answer. That's a sick question, you're a sick ****, and I'm not that sick that I'm gonna answer it. I'm not tellin' ya anything. I'm going to leave. If Lenore calls, tell her I went home. I'm not stayin' in this nuthouse with ya. You're a sick bastard. I feel sorry for you, I really do. You know what you should do - try a little more screwin' and a little less thinkin'. You won't have troubles upstairs in your bedroom and you won't take it out on me and everybody else. Do you understand, you fricken' wacko? You're crackin' up! Fricken' screwball, ya.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one Sir Trout! A knighthood well deserved! Ya Frikin Puyvuyt!! Teach the guy some respect!!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Default Oh you are killing me

Holy mother of Frankenstein! WTF! I laughed out loud and then read Trout's response to my wife. She asked was this a movie forum or bike forum. I told her it was a combo site...

I knew it was a tough question but I thought you guys had the nads to answer. I love the Bird! Especially the marketing that was done when it was introduced. From friends who have owned one to what I have read in the magazines; I felt the 'Cane could more easily be converted to touring duties vs. the Bird.
The main question that concerns the prospective buyer is mpg. I recently averaged between 48 and 51 mpg on a 2.5 day ride; 90% done on the interstate.
So, since Sir Trout's nads have bid farewell; do any of you other than fearless Steve dare answer the question?

Here is to Sir Trout...You da' man!

Last edited by Honda Nut; 08-09-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:48 AM

I can't offer an informed opinion because I've never ridden the Blackbird. The thing I don't like about it is the same thing I don't like about the ZX14 and Busa as well, the aesthetics of the nose is wrong to me. It's too far forwards and too low.

Also, as Steve so well noted, the Bird doesn't have enough over the Hurricane for me to consider replacing it. Other than power I suppose and the Hurrican has more power than I can use already.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I knew it was a tough question but I thought you guys had the nads to answer.

OK here it is from my position............

What would my next bike be if I had a choice..................from Honda.............
BLACKBIRD....why ?
Easier to get parts, better range of accessories, bigger more powerful engine.
Better brakes, suspension, better all round machine, BUT

Will I be buying one soon.?

Not unless I can find one with less than 10,000 miles at a bargain price.

The Cane does all I want a bike to do, and it'd be a helluva decision if the time ever came.

***** ENOUGH FORYA ?

Maybe I'll just chuck it all in and buy a Hayabusa............................
(how's that for *****) on a Honda forum !

Last edited by Shadow; 08-09-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 PM

I have owned and run both ( 1000F and Blackbird )

The 1000F as standard is definately more of a distance tool than the blackbird due to seat and general riding position.

However the blackbird doesn't take too much to sort it out for some long distance work.
Mine is fitted with - MRA Vario touring screen and VFR800 vtec bars. This for me has made the blackbird just as comfy as the 1000F.

I only changed because it is far easier to get bits for the blackbird here in the UK, the blackbird came up at the right price condition ( spotless 1997 model, 21k, full history, new tyres, £2,500 GBP ) - and for me the blackbird was the iconic bike when i was a kid.

I used to get about 180 miles from the 1000F to reserve - I get 170 miles to the reserve light on the blackbird.

The big plus for the 1000F is the twin headlights - the blackbird as standard is pathetic which is why i went to HID.

Having just been on a 500 mile trip with Harry T Hamster (he has a 1000F) - there isn't a lot in it - but blackbird warp drive is handy for overtaking - haha

One more thing - It only takes 15 minutes to change the CCT on the blackbird !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Dean0; 08-09-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:27 PM

the bird is a bored out 1000f. i have a 19961000f my bother in law has a bird when we go for a ride he cant get away from me. i think my red white blue looks a lot better. the only advantage to the bird is getting the plastics and if you dont crash you dont need the new plastics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blackbird or 1000F - Sport Touring