CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   A Bittersweet day (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/bittersweet-day-125251/)

BobR 05-09-2011 07:42 PM

A Bittersweet day

1 Attachment(s)
Today was the end of one dream and the beginning of another adventure.

I have been lugging a 1975 Norton around for years, like many, many years, waiting for the time and funds to restore it to its old glory. I finally had to face facts, it wasn't going to happen on my watch, or at least not for many more years. It needed a complete and total teardown and restoration.

My other bike, an 88 CBR1000F has been idle for about 9-10 years now. I also need to go through it and do some restoration. I have kept it stock, kept it in covered storage, and kept it clean so restoration won't be a big issue. Just new tires, chain, tune, flush, etc. Just safety stuff and to get it roadworthy again.

Well, a while back I had a thought, trade the Norton for the work to get the 'Cane back on the road. To that end I stopped and talked to the British bike dealer a while back and we decided it might be feasible.

So, today the owner and his manager showed up, looked at the Cane and the Norton. They figured about 1200-1500 dollars in parts and labor to get it back on the road. We also figured the value of the Norton around that same area.

So, it will be a wash, most likely.

I will miss the Norton, but I had to face reality and that was the fact I would never have the time or money to do it right.

The plus, I get the Cane back on the road without any money out of pocket. I think I did OK. I know the Norton will get restored and I will have one of my favorite bikes back on the road.

This is what the Hurricane looked like about 4 years ago, and essentially the same today.

Attachment 47755

bob

Indiana Hurricane 05-09-2011 07:46 PM

Hello and Welcome to the CBR Forum. Good looking Cane :icon_razz:.

BobR 05-09-2011 08:31 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't been here in a while and it looks like my post count (which wasn't too high anyhow) got reset to 1. Oh well, just more incentive to come around more often.

bob

Post count 1 ?
Hmm - not any more :)
S

Sprock 05-09-2011 08:40 PM

Very nice Bob, and welcome even if it is a bittersweet one . You'll be "good" once you
are back on that silver beauty

there 's a dry side of WA ? :D ....lol

Shadow 05-09-2011 09:38 PM

Good to see you again, Bob :)
What was your post count ?
Maybe I can fix that so you don't feel like a noob :)

hawkwind 05-10-2011 01:50 AM

Welcome back Bob, seems like you got a good result.

BobR 05-10-2011 06:34 PM

I didn't have enough posts to make it worthwhile, thanks though. Besides, as a noob I can ask questions that make people sit there and shake their heads. :)

bob

MadHattr059 05-10-2011 07:02 PM

*smiles admire-ingly*, *shakes head*, "Nice deal, sweet ride!"

Ern

DragonCBR 05-10-2011 07:25 PM

Nice ride AND WELCOME!

All you need to do now is get the bigger wheels modification to get it on par and you are away!