CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Bird tested on track (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/bird-tested-track-45375/)

R1000 07-23-2007 02:57 PM

Bird tested on track

The bird was tested on track yesterday and it worked very well. Initially there were some movements at the rear in corners but increasing the rebound four clicks eliminated that. The front becomes airborne out of cornes both on second and third so the steering damper seems to be a good investment since no shakes occured.

The chassi works absolutely great, the longer and stiffer WP front springs in combination with the Hyperpro rear shock and raised rear harmonized well. I felt that other bikes on the track drove unnecessary slow into corners and those were sport bikes http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/styl...n_confused.gif . I runned on BT021's and a 16/46 gearing.

I was also impressed by the braking capability, the breaks are still linked and this caused no problems even though I had to use them deep into corners a few times.

The engine pulls very good up to the rev limit on 6th gear. My impression was that no other bike pulled as hard out on the long home straight, they just got smaller and smaller in the mirror http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/styl...eusa_angel.gif . I’ve also seen that the midrange power is very high compared to any modern stock 1000 CC machine and this helps a lot to get the important speed out of corners. It has e.g. between 20 and 40 more horses at 7 k rpm than the newest GSX R1000, ZX10R, CBR 1000 RR and YZF R1, MV Agusta F4R, Aprilis RSV 1000 R Factory and Ducati 1098S. It is only the -08 GSX R1000 that gives more power at any point and it is only 5 horses more above 11 k. Below 11 k the power difference is huge in favor to the bird.

I guess I don’t have to mention that it was fun as hell. http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/styl...on_biggrin.gif

collector 07-23-2007 03:18 PM

RE: Bird tested on track

Its good to see that you are enjoying the bird so much, and as a plus point the weather your end seems to be a lot better than here. I bet that you were grinning from ear to ear.

:):D As for handling, how would you compare it to the CBR?

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

R1000 07-23-2007 03:38 PM

Yes it was real nice weather yesterday and it felt so nice in the whole body last night.

Compared to my previous CBR 1000 F -92 the bird is more like an extension of the body and can be driven far harder without taking risks. But I cant say this is a generic true since the chassi components on the previous CBR -92 was quite worn and the bird on the other hand has new and better than stock chassi components. If the CBR had got the same treatment I guess it would handle about the same. There is also a huge difference in power; the bird engine is now heavily modified. Gearing the CBR right for the actual track could even this out; there is almost no need for a bike to run more than 200 km/h on a technical track that I visited yesterday. If the CBR would be geared for e.g. 200 km/h top speed the torque on the rear wheel would go up by 30 % on all gears and then it would accelerate incredible fast up to top speed.

BLUE1000F 07-23-2007 04:39 PM

Looks like youhad a great day at the track ! :D:D:D
Where can i get the info about the tracks that have trackdays ?
It would be nice to try it sometime.

collector 07-23-2007 04:51 PM

Good for you. I'm pleased that the bird is going well for you and that you can still share your exploits with us. Look forward to the next session.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]

R1000 07-23-2007 04:54 PM

If you look on http://www.svmc.se/templates/Ordinary.aspx?id=132you can see a lot of events that are arranged by SMC. The have track days every week on gocart trackslike Rörken, Uppsala, which is a very good starting point, and they also have track days on almost all full sizeSwedish tracks. If you attend a SMC event, which I really recommend, they normally have four groups, newbies, average skills, fast and super fast. Some of the guys on the highest level are very fast, in the slowest group even custom bikes can be seen.

The event yesterday was arranged by Bike magazine.

MarkR 07-23-2007 05:53 PM

So apart from the GSX R1000-08, how did you go against bigger bikes like the GSX13 & Z12, Z14

R1000 07-24-2007 03:52 AM

There were none ofthe bikes you mentionon the track.My birdproduced 156 rwhp at the last dyno and with good power also on lower revs.It is quite similar to the ZX12 -01 over the whole rpm range, except for a few horses down on top. The Haybusa -01has 10 to 20 more horses over the range and about 5 more horses than the bird on top. The ZX14 -06passes the birds power at 6500 rpm and gives about 20+ horses more after that.

Latsky 07-24-2007 04:53 AM

I am glad that you had a field day!! Now you make my ass itch for a new bike!! I will keep my CBR 1000f 92" for life!! I am in love with the thing!! I am thinking of getting the 1000RR ? What do you ride?

R1000 07-24-2007 10:35 AM

I ride a CBR 1100 XX -97 and a GSX R1000 -03, the CBR is the favourite for most driving. The GSX R is only used at tracks.

BLUE1000F 07-24-2007 01:37 PM

R1000 , you drive your GSX R1000 on tracks ... Are you a racedriver (competeing) ?

R1000 07-24-2007 02:35 PM

No, no realracedriver whatsoever, just a dedicatedamateur. The GSX R was my first bike that I bought new, in 2003, earlier I have had someoldlurks in the seventies and eighties. The GSX R was the most powerful and best handling bike money could buy in 2003 and it was a dream coming true toown one. I was not up to date at allas a driver and thereforelicensed for an international roadracing license at the time I got the bike. Then I practised a lot on Gelleråsen, every wednesday during 2003 and about half 2004 until I could followthe guysthat competes on a club level. That gave me some rudimentaryskills to handle a bike that I needed. After thatI have only attended single trackdays now and then each yearjust to stay fit and most because it is so bloody fun. I have visited the Nurburg Ring also during two events and taking part in practice that are lead by the German magazine Motorrad that hires the track for a couple of days.

The reason the GSX R 1000 is only used a few times a year on track is that i drivetheHonda blackbirdjust about every day from April to November, to and from the work and whatever needs to be taken to. The Bird is by far a better all-around bike and it is dimensioned to do very high mileage without major wear or problems, like the Hurricane is. It was a great pleasure to drive the Blackbird on Gelleråsen.

BLUE1000F 07-24-2007 04:40 PM

Looks like you have a "dream hobby".
I asked a couple of friends at work if they were interested in going to a trackday , they were really into it .
So we probaly are going to one or a couple of the trackdays that SMC arrange . I'll have to talk to some more guys to get along there with us(there are a few more at work).

For now i'm just waiting for my vacation , one more day left .:)

Then i'm looking forward to Mälaren Runt (big bike event)in August .

MarkR 07-24-2007 04:59 PM

I also believe that the bird runs really smooth due to the double balance sharfts?

R1000 07-24-2007 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: BLUE1000F

I asked a couple of friends at work if they were interested in going to a trackday , they were really into it .
So we probaly are going to one or a couple of the trackdays that SMC arrange . I'll have to talk to some more guys to get along there with us(there are a few more at work).

Just send me a PM when you know whenyou plan tovisit aSMC trackday if youlike to have company. The Blackbird ishungry for more trackvisits and it is the same type of bike as the Hurricane.

R1000 07-24-2007 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: MarkR

I also believe that the bird runs really smooth due to the double balance sharfts?
Yes it is somewhat smoother than the Hurricane but not much. All birds have some vibrations around4 k and I didn't noted any disturbing vibrations on the Hurricane I had. Perhaps because it was so funny to drive, which is the most important.

BLUE1000F 07-25-2007 05:52 AM

ORIGINAL: R1000

Just send me a PM when you know whenyou plan tovisit aSMC trackday if youlike to have company. The Blackbird ishungry for more trackvisits and it is the same type of bike as the Hurricane.

Shure i'll send you a PM , that would be fun !
(Tip me if there'sa trackdayyou find out that is outside the SMC calendar !)

rhino94 07-25-2007 04:55 PM

http://www.falkenbergsmotorklubb.nu/mcsida.php
What about this guys? 1st of August if the wheather looks nice? I´ll join u with the FJR.

R1000 07-25-2007 05:18 PM

That would have been very nice :) but it is only 3 hours track time from 5 to 8 pm and I have to ride 1000 km's from home and back. We can perhapssee if there are any events that would be not to far foranyone thart might beinterested, e.g.Kinnekulle. I have no problems to stay away for a night, but then the track should be available during a full day.

BLUE1000F 07-26-2007 01:14 AM

I'm in Sälen the whole week (v.31).But it would be really fun if you too joined rhino.:)
Like you R1000 said let's see if there's a track that is close for everyone.

rhino94 07-26-2007 03:01 AM

Okidoki
Sälen during summertime, are u going for a trip walkingin the mountains? Taking the bike there?

mikekop 07-26-2007 05:00 AM

Hey Blue! If you're taking the bike to Sälen, maybe we could hook up and go for a ride? I live only 70 km from Sälen! 40 minutes and I'm there!

weekendrider 07-26-2007 07:56 AM

When you look on Google Earth where are those tracks.

rhino94 07-26-2007 08:32 AM

Falkenberg
Latitude 56°58'31.53"N
Longitude 12°34'7.07"E

BLUE1000F 07-26-2007 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mikekop

Hey Blue! If you're taking the bike to Sälen, maybe we could hook up and go for a ride? I live only 70 km from Sälen! 40 minutes and I'm there!

Hi Mikepop !
It shure would have been fun meet another "CBR rider" and go riding with you
My brother suggested that we go there by bike and our familys by car.If he'd had a newer bike then i would have taken his suggestion seriously , but he's riding a classic Honda CB500FOUR -76.
I dont know ifthe bike would have made the trip......or maybe it had .Anyway we dont wanna take that risk .
Imagine how happy our girlfriends would be if the bike stopped...!![>:][:'(]
He's about to buy a newer bike next spring , then maybe we take a trip up north.
See you !

BLUE1000F 07-26-2007 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: rhino94

Okidoki
Sälen during summertime, are u going for a trip walkingin the mountains? Taking the bike there?
Hi rhino !
We got really cheap appartements at Högfjällshotellet .
Me and my brother love fishing so thats one thing were gonna do, They got horseriding trips so the girls are gonna do that( they both own horses too).I'v heard that there is a sledgebob track ( is it called a sledgebob..?) that they race on during the summers too,that's one thingi'm going to try out. And of course some walking in the mountains and swimming and so on...we'll see when we are there.I've never been there during the summer only in the winter.

CosmoBob 07-27-2007 05:26 AM

I'd love to go riding with a bunch of other Hondas sometime in the future, maybe next year.

weekendrider 07-27-2007 10:13 AM

Have a look at our track nearBrisbane long 27.41.25.56"s lat 152.39.10.54"e

rhino94 07-27-2007 12:06 PM

That looks really nice
Looks like u can change the layout of the track from time to time by putting out conesor is it always the longest way?

BLUE1000F 07-27-2007 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: CosmoBob

I'd love to go riding with a bunch of other Hondas sometime in the future, maybe next year.

Yes , that would be really fun if a bunch of CBR riders could meet up at some track next year.
Maybe we should make plans for it when the spring's coming...? :)

BLUE1000F 07-27-2007 04:57 PM

Here's a picture of my brothers CB 500 four -76.
He also got a Suzuki T250R -71.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18306/459AEB6941344E99A475333C67CDC3D8.jpg[/IMG]

R1000 07-28-2007 03:01 AM

That is a real nice bike ! Has your brother always own it and kept it in such a good condition, or is it a renovated bike?

I have had a Suzuki T500 long time ago; I think it was a -72. It was in a very good condition except for a broken connecting rod, so I got the bike very cheap and repaired is myself. I was silly enough to sell the bike after som usewhen it was finished.

I almost like to buy an old bike and fix it when seeing something like this but don’t since I already have two bikes and can only use one at a time. The fixing need has been satisfied though on renovating the "grovkök" (the smaller house entrance with washing and dryingmachines etc.) during ten days. It is quite satisfying to do the planning, work with the hands, and finally see the result of somethingprevious ugly thatbecomes like new after rebuild.

BLUE1000F 07-28-2007 08:04 AM

He's owned the Hondaabout 3or 4 years .And no, it was not looking this good when he bought it.
He has replaced a lot ofparts on it.Now the last thing he's done is to replace the fueltank(2 weeks ago),the old (blue) tank leaked fuel for the second time (rust) so he bougt a new one.But he repainted it to the brown/gold colour that some Honda models have.The only thing he haven't done nothing to is the engine,except for the normal services.

Yes it's fun to have a "project" ,i havea Suzuki GSX750 -81 with a 1100 -82 engine.
I was planing earlier to rebuilt it with FZR1000 swingarm and suspension +GSX rearwheel and so on...
But i have to move fromthe garage i had earlier so i just put the parts i boxes and there they still are.
Planning to start building it the coming winter but not for racing like i had plans for before.I've welded back the original pieces to rear suspension and so on...and i have powdercoated the frame.We'll se what happens this winter cause my garage is almost finnished so i can have pleasant temperatue in there when i "work" .
I also have an other project ,it's aold moped called REXoped from -56.

waz57 07-28-2007 02:51 PM

R 1000

Hi mate you mentioned you run BT 021's on your bird how do you like them ??? I have them on my 92 CBR 1000 and had a good run from them.But my Blackbird has BT 57's and they dont feel RIGHT ?? if you know what I mean, the bike leans into a corner very fast, and I feel sometimes I cant trust the tyre. Whats you views on the 57 's ??

R1000 07-28-2007 11:38 PM

I have never used BT57 tyres so I don’t know how they perform. The BT 021's are like candy for the bird, it performs very well with those and they feel very trusty, highly recommended! The Z6's are also verygood tyres but they don’t turn inas quickly.

I will also test the new Michelin Pilot Road II on the bird. They have been reported to have an extremely low wear rate without jeopardizing the grip and the wet grip is tested to beoutstanding. In case they also handle well theywould be optimal for a heavy commuter. There are reports that they are shimmy though.

So far BT 021 is # 1.

R1000 07-30-2007 03:14 AM

I'm in Sälen the whole week (v.31).But it would be really fun if you too joined rhino.:)
How about Linköping August 20 ? A friend visited those so calledtrafikövningar (traffic training) several times last year and said it was very good. There are RR instructors and people are divided into groups from beginners to very fast drivers.

http://www.lms.se/web/_pages/index_s...&SektId=86

rhino94 07-31-2007 10:31 AM

Forbidden to drive with Gore-Tex so I can´t join.

weekendrider 08-01-2007 01:06 AM

Thy are a good bike the cb500 i did a lot of ks on one in the early 80ts. Just a bit heavy on fuel but could take a good thrashing.

BLUE1000F 08-05-2007 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: R1000

How about Linköping August 20 ? A friend visited those so calledtrafikövningar (traffic training) several times last year and said it was very good. There are RR instructors and people are divided into groups from beginners to very fast drivers.

http://www.lms.se/web/_pages/index_s...&SektId=86
I'm interested !
Just have to check if i can be off work that day(it'sthe first day at work after my vacation).
That should not be a problem !

R1000 08-06-2007 04:08 PM

[/quote] I'm interested !
Just have to check if i can be off work that day(it'sthe first day at work after my vacation).
That should not be a problem !
[/quote]

OK, hope you can do it. I have been working one week when it comes to August 20.