CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bike wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike wont start

So I had the gas tank off this weekend for painting this weekend. I put it back on last night to go to work but she wouldnt start I figured the Batt was just dead from sitting all weekend but I didnt have time to jump it so I took my ZR to work. Well I came home to fine Id accidentally left the Fuel tap and the choke on. I Jumped her I she started but would only Idle around 1k with the choke on and cut off did this a couple times. Now the engine wont turn over and the starter sounds like the Batt is dying even when trying to jump. Now Im worried Ive got an electrical issue and the engine may be flooded. Any ideas in where I should start?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you clean out the tank while you had it off? You may have stirred up rust and debris that was in it and it has gone to the carbs.

I bought a bike recently that had sat for a number of years, that just did not want to start until primed with an aerostart (carefully).

Make sure the vacuum line to the petcock is on or the fuel tap won't open.

Also make sure the battery is FULLY charged.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Welcome Crew

take a plug out and make sure the fuel hasnt flooded into the bore (probably hasnt) but you never know, and check the oil just to see if petrol has flooded down into the sump, before you try to restart her

Old 08-14-2013, 12:00 PM

Ok the Vacuum line is on but its a little frayed on the end so I cut off a little bit to try and make sure Im getting a good vacuum. My spark plug puller isnt deep enough so ill have to go over to harbor freight today and grab a deep well its 18mm right? Also the tank is nice and clean on the inside. Oh but theres a rubber funnel thing on the bottom of the tank thats badly dryrotted but I thought that was just the overflow. Oh and I think Im just gonna buy a new Batt as ive never even hear of my brand before

Old 08-15-2013, 02:20 PM

Ok update : pulled a spark plug/ checked oil and no gas in there. Got a full charge on the Batt. Vacuum line secure. It started and ran for a little bit but then cut out and if I touch the throttle it immediately starts to die. Basically its acting like its out of gas and there is certainly still some gas in the tank

Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AJboughtanothermotorcycle
Ok update : pulled a spark plug/ checked oil and no gas in there. Got a full charge on the Batt. Vacuum line secure. It started and ran for a little bit but then cut out and if I touch the throttle it immediately starts to die. Basically its acting like its out of gas and there is certainly still some gas in the tank

The 'choke' on the CBR1000F is not really a choke - it is an enrichener. So trying to blip the throttle with it on has a tendency to flood and kill the engine.

They like to start with the battery fully charged and the 'choke' fully on. Let it idle and warm up until the revs increase and then let the choke off. The bike I recently resurrected had huge difficulty starting and I used a little aerostart just to get things flowing again.

Perhaps put a little more fuel in it as well and try the petcock on 'ON' as well as Reserve. There may be a blocked filter.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM

Alright Update #2 Put some more gas in the tank got a brand new batt and sprayed some starter fluid in the carbs. Started up idled at about 3k with the choke on for about 45sec then died. Tried again. The starter didnt even try I got absolutely nothing when I hit the button. Turned key off and turned back on Started and idled maybe 800 for a couple sec and died. Now thats all it will do

Old 08-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure furl is flowing?

There is a rubber reed valve in the petcock. It may be sticking. You can check it by pulling the tank and removing the 4 screws on the back side of the petcock. Be careful there's a spring behind that plate that pushes the diaphragm. With the part in your hand, you should be able suck but not blow into the vacuum port.

If that's not the problem it may be the diaphragm itself.

Final check is done with fuel in tank on bench. You should be able to use light suction to open fuel flow and gas should run out of petcock.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM

Ok Got the bike running today!!. It was the stupidest most simple mistake anyone could possibly make. But Im a man and as such am prepared to admit my mistakes no matter how it may hurt my pride and Ill accept my idiot of the year award with grace and dignity....I had the vacuum line attached to the little nipple on the underside of the petcock rather than on the correct one on the back...*forehead smack*

Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Well done for sorting it AJ.

And we all make mistakes so that is no bother at all

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: Bike wont start