CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bike is on the side of the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Somehow the calipers and rotor got covered with some type of grease it took me hours to clean it all

Check your wheel bearings - maybe that side is leaking and "throwing" grease out onto the rotor.

How do I fix this? Will a carb cleaning take care of this
Yes - there are a number of threads on carb cleaning - read any of them, the principles are all the same.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Somehow the calipers and rotor got covered with some type of grease it took me hours to clean it all

Check your wheel bearings - maybe that side is leaking and "throwing" grease out onto the rotor.
Good call, will do but It seemed to be more on the outside of the rotor and too much for a simple bad bearing. It was literally caked in the calipers. I noticed it and cleaned it up last time(1st time) I took the bike out. But I missed some in the heat shedders and got it this time. what a Pita getting all those holes cleaned out! The bike was stored for a year in an old rotten shed before I got it and was stored behind my shed for another year before I started on it. So I have no clue where it picked that grease up at.

How do I fix this? Will a carb cleaning take care of this
Yes - there are a number of threads on carb cleaning - read any of them, the principles are all the same.
I read a ton of them but it took me awhile to find the ones with the piston cylinders. I've never seen those before. I was like "Huh WTH is this, a vacuum operated throttle plate?" I only noticed because I was shoving ether down her throat with the airbox pulled back and noticed when revving that the #2 was not opening and when I moved it with my finger it unstuck but still did not function so I'm guessing the large membrane on the top controls the vacuum?

PICS of The 350 reinstall as promised like 4 days ago.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...2&postcount=36

I'll try to take pics of the bike when I do the carbs. Trying to do too many things at once! Thank god I've only had to do small things to the 740il the last few weeks.

Last edited by Hueristic; 08-09-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added link for pics
Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM

I bet you have leaky fork seals on the one side. look around the forks for fluids if its wet there is your greasy problem.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cobra1000rr
I bet you have leaky fork seals on the one side. look around the forks for fluids if its wet there is your greasy problem.
Will do.

So pulled the carbs and airbox some pics for u guys. The valves are crudded up badly what should i do about it? I tried to get pics of them but they came out lousy with my crappy phone. 2 of them should be good enough to give an idea of what they look like.

Name:  2cylinder.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  136.1 KB
Name:  3cylinder.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  134.2 KB

Drunk Neighbor sneaking through my yard with her six pack (She didn't even see me till I said hi and she almost had a heart attack!
Name:  Drunkneihgbor.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  182.8 KB

Carbs with chunk of airbox that was cutting off #1 also #2 cylinder doesn't open so WTF no big surprise the thing was dieing!
Name:  carbswithbrokeairbox1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  189.0 KB

Name:  bikecarbswithbrokeairbox.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  187.2 KB

Name:  brokeairbox2.jpg
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  brokeairbox1.jpg
Size:  121.9 KB

Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

That is one big chunk of airbox in the carb!

You still should be able to fix that. As for carb 2 not moving the slide, it might just be gunk sticking the needle, so remove the top cover carefully, noting which way it went on, look for holes/tears in the black rubber diaphragm and if thet's ok remove the slide and clean the needle.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
That is one big chunk of airbox in the carb!

You still should be able to fix that. As for carb 2 not moving the slide, it might just be gunk sticking the needle, so remove the top cover carefully, noting which way it went on, look for holes/tears in the black rubber diaphragm and if thet's ok remove the slide and clean the needle.

Cheers, SB
No holes or tears actually look pretty new. Removed the floats/needle as well and got the carbs in a soak overnight. A little grubby in the bowls but not too bad.

Gotta get out the soldering gun for the airbox. Found a K$N filter in her. clean as a whistle lol the PO must have put it in with the hole in there. Ordered a K&N 99-5050 Filter Care Service Kit - Squeeze.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:55 PM

I would pull those carb boots off and put them on the carbs before you put them back on the bike, tighten the clamps on the boot to carb, they are a b**** to put back on, a lil up and down motion will work them back on nice and easy with some good pressure, make sure they are seated all the way, tighten all boot to motor clamps. Get some new float needles too to put in there, save you from rebuilding them again.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Banned

I would pull those carb boots off and put them on the carbs before you put them back on the bike, tighten the clamps on the boot to carb, they are a b**** to put back on, a lil up and down motion will work them back on nice and easy with some good pressure, make sure they are seated all the way, tighten all boot to motor clamps.
Sounds like a good idea, thx. Should I use oil on the boots to make it slide on easier?

Get some new float needles too to put in there, save you from rebuilding them again.
Why? I've kept them separated and marked and they work fine.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:27 PM

yea ive used a lil soap or oil to help slide them on, your call on the float needles, but they are cheap if you did want to replace them now is a good time.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offence I'd have to differ with you that idea
having just been doing multiple sets of carbs on
3 different Hurricanes lately . tightening the clamp
closest to the head is a lot harder than the one at the
carb end

Put them back the same way they were leveraged off
usually from left to right with some hand sanitizer for lube

Pop number 1 in and 2 , 3 , 4 follow easily enough with firm
pressure

as for the airbox - take the remaining piece and JBWeld it on and cut
some light alum (HD alum roofing shingle) and jb that to it to
reinforce.

As for cruddy carbs - when she's running just keep putting
Seafoam or your favorite carb cleaner through it

Yeah a good cleaning and checking on those carbs is in order man

I would pull those carb boots off and put them on the carbs before you put them back on the bike, tighten the clamps on the boot to carb, they are a b**** to put back on, a lil up and down motion will work them back on nice and easy with some good pressure, make sure they are seated all the way, tighten all boot to motor clamps. Get some new float needles too to put in there, save you from rebuilding them again.

Last edited by Sprock; 08-09-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Bike is on the side of the road