CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bike runs again! 3rd reg/reg

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike runs again! 3rd reg/reg

My bike is running again! I've gone through a few regulators and think I have fixed the problem. Most of my wires where in very bad shape towards the back of the bike. I cut wires for the rear turn signals, brake light, and license plate and soldered new ones and wrapped it all in electrical tape.

Heres my bike without the lights and signals

You can see the burnt out reg/rec here. This was one I got off ebay for $110, it lasted me 9 days

I got a new stator, but was unable to fit the connector through the frame, so I ran it outside of the frame and wrapped the protective plastic with electrical tape(its not done in the picture yet). The space was so tight I ended up cracking the old connector trying to get it out.

As you can see my regulator connector was severely burnt.

Luckily the Electrex Regulator I got with comes with all of the materials to cut off your burnt harness and make a new one, and comes with a year warranty as well. Their website is www.electrexworld.co.uk

And this is all the fairings I have for my bike, so with it all put together my regulator gets airflow.

I'd like to thank the forum and Shadow1 for getting me back on the road

Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bike runs again! 3rd reg/reg

Another satisfied customer !
Geez, your wiring was cooked..........hoooooo ! No wonder.....
Remember to keep a check on the battery - the Electrex unit charges from lower revs....
A voltmeter's a good investment, too.......
Always a pleasure to help.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 AM

Well shortly after a year later my Electrex regulator is dead! WTF just after the warranty is done lol.

so i dont know if i can afford to buy more regulators (it would be the 4th one) and I already have bought a stator cover.

I need to do the troubleshooting manual and see what exactly went bad I think, but I know for a fact the regulator is done

Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 AM

Sounds to me like the stator is cooked, even though you replaced it - did you fit a brand new one ? The problem you're having is EXACTLY what I went through - I found the windings in my stator were burnt - you can't see it by looking at them. I was lucky with a secondhand stator cover, and I haven't had a problem since.
What you need to do is remove the stator cover and have it tested by someone with a Megger tester - don't waste your time with everyday voltmeters. Check the manual for the correct resistance - it doesn't take much (too much or too little -I'm not sure which- resistance) to cook a regulator.
Write to Electrex anyway and ask them if they can assist - if it's only just out of guarantee they may be willing to help.
Write to Lisa <lisa.electrex@btinternet.com>
Tell her I told you to buy the reg/rec in the first place - maybe it'll help - I've bought a number of them from Electrex for a whole variety of bikes.
Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by Shadow; 02-06-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 AM

Ill go ahead and email her directly... I just put my bike up for sale for $500 USD, so im kinda ready to move on....

even though i just spent damn near 400 for my new DID 530 chain and sprocket and racetech springs that are still in a box...

Old 02-06-2010, 06:35 AM

Should I say shadow?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 AM

I went ahead and emailed her, if I can get another reg/rect warrantied (which would be the only thing which would let me keep my bike) I would still need my cover tested? I got that from bikebandit.com and don't know that there really is a warranty on that.

I don't really want to sell my bike but I've already bought 3 regulators and a stator cover and I just can't justify spending anymore money on it unfortunately. I just got another bike, and while it is fun, it isn't anything like my the cbr1000f, which was my first bike that I've had so many good times with

Name:  2010-02-01133605.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  113.3 KB

Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 AM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"

Where did you get your stator cover and how much did it run you? i had a similar fried harness like you. The stator "survived" but I was thinking about replacing it anyways. I wanted to go new or atleast a re-man, but want to avoid getting raped by honda.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dwarfdwarf
Should I say shadow?
Call me by name

Peter O'Berg - that's the name she knows me by.

Quick Reply: Bike runs again! 3rd reg/reg