CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

This bike is gonna be the death of me HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation This bike is gonna be the death of me HELP!!!!

OK, well I did the valve adjust on Sunday, and threw my back out while adjusting the last valve. Then I got my battery in Monday so I filled it and put it on the charge for 24 hrs. wen out last night put it in and nothing!!!! looked at my volt meter and it said 12.75. so I was puzzled and in pain so I left it alone and decided to give her a jump today. So I hook her up to the trucks battery and she fires up. Hooray(so I thought) she is still sputtering a bit(probably need to check the carbs) then as I pull up to the parking spot she stalls. OK so I hook her back to the cables and nothing just clicking like a dead battery(volts read 13.50 hooked up to my truck) sounded like it was trying to turn over and all the lights dimmed. SO what is wrong now!!!!!

Anyone got advice on where to start with this thing? grrrrrrr

Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If like the video above then it's the starter damper

BUT

(volts read 13.50 hooked up to my truck)
at least you know your truck battery is good

Sometimes new batteries are bum batteries ......... it happens
(especially after 24 hrs charge and only 12.75 ...prolly dead cell)

oh even though they read like they are holding a charge .....
they crap out under load.

MotoBatt MBTX14AU ...my battery of choice thanks to my old friend
KilgoreTrout

Be careful jumping from an automotive setup ...things can cook

Last edited by Sprock; 03-30-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Are you the one that lives in Columbia, MD? if you want to test the battery hipothesis, I can come over and you can try with mine. That will save you to buy a new battery for nothing.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 PM

No it doesnt sound like that, only clicking sound I hear is the relay from the start switch. Yes I live in columbia, and it is possible that my charger is crap, since it is pretty old. The starter will try and turn a bit, and then nothing, also all the lights are comming on. Hey jajgarcia shoot me a pm and I will send you my #.

I am also wondering if the guy I bought it from fried somthing cause he was using a jump station(dont know how else to call it) normally to jump cars I guess, and since he didnt have the ignition wires hooked up correctly, i am sure he held the starter button for a while. Also when the bike was running, it would cut out like there is a ghost in the wiring or somthing(or maybe its the carbs).

Last edited by Sprock; 03-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:12 PM

I agree with whats been said. Probably a faulty cell in the battery. If you take it to your local mechanic, they'll be able to do a "drop test" on it to see if it's good or not.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Also it is not a good idea to charge any motorcycle battery at a rate greater than 2 or
3 amps ............... so if a boost mode of say 40amps was used at anytime ....guess what ??????????? chances are she's crispy bacon, as in fried.

hopefully you 2 Guys get it figured out with jajgarcia's ..... offer the test it out .......way to go Guys helping a brother member out like that

Last edited by Sprock; 03-30-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:02 PM

no it was set on the continous mode for charging the battery. Not on the boost. I am also wondering if this is just s cheap battery that I bought. Since these bikes requires a ton of power to crank over. maybe this battery just isnt up to snuff for the job.

Now she runs WTF!!!! I did notice that there is some burnt wires/connectors at the starter silenoid, i unplugged it and the bike died. plugged it back in and it runs fine. Now there is also some burnt wires where the fuse is on the silenoid as well. I will repair those when the weather turns around. I did jump her from the truck again, but she stalled out and started w/o a jump so hopefully I have figured out the problem. We will see I guess. I will take pictures later and maybe some cbr experts on here can point me in the right direction. Thanks again for all the help so far!

Last edited by Sprock; 03-30-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: double posting
Old 03-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Good going ..........

Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one, and a good offer to help too! Hopefully it was just dodgy / corroded connections.

Quick Reply: This bike is gonna be the death of me HELP!!!!