CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

bhp

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bhp

OK. I don't care what you, or anyone else, for that matter, rides. And you're original statement was correct. Horsepower is merely about bragging rights. Torque rules, and I'm guilty of having tunnel vision.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok, the reason our bikes blow harleys away is the have lots of torque n just a lil more HP, and they are geared completely different, powerbands are completely different, and intended for a completely different style of riding, and weigh a ton. Now go jump on a chopper or vrod, with a 125hp S&S in it n it canl embrarass the p1ss out of you in alot of situations. The ducati has a good combo of torque n hp n will spank a 1k in the turns n still hold its own on the straights.

Now for just hp vs torque, well I've had VW Bugs that spanked 5.0 GT's butts from redlight to redlight and run off and leave em on the interstate to boot. Yes, I said a Bug with 110HP/80lb torque spank, pack its lunch, 5.0 Mustang GT w its 280 - 300HP n wytfe its torque was.

On the flip side I had a Chevy pu that came with a 30 over 327, nice cam, headers 600 holley, bla bla bla, that would spank about anything out of the hole. It had roughly 400HP and just a lil less torque. When it grenaded, I set in a a 350 police interceptor, hi-rise, n the goodies off the 327. It had less hp n less torque and except fot out of the hole would out perform the 327. Alot of how you feel the power n where its usable depends on the stroke of the engine. Short strokes kickass down low.

Now someone tell me if any of this make sense lol.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: pacojoseph

OK. I don't care what you, or anyone else, for that matter, rides. And you're original statement was correct. Horsepower is merely about bragging rights. Torque rules, and I'm guilty of having tunnel vision.
Torque is the seat of your pants feeling. Like HC said you cant have one w/o the other, I cant say I would take a higher torque bike cuz I love my 600 w/ its -1/+1. Yes 600's could use more torque (bottom end), But I dont think need all the useless power a 1k makes.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope.............
Short strokes may kick *** down low, but not unless you're pushing big pistons , IMO
CBR'S have short strokes too.....but my bike redlines at 10,500, where the Duke will only run to just over 9000, as I recall.
The Ducati makes plenty of low down grunt, but on top end I can blow my buddy's 916 into the weeds every time, but NOT on the short, twisty stuff where the torquier engine and better suspension on the Duke will leave me behind.
I'd like to have seen that Beetle blow the Mustang away, tho' -LMAO for sure.......bet he turned off asap.....

Old 05-09-2008, 12:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Nope.............
Short strokes may kick *** down low, but not unless you're pushing big pistons , IMO
CBR'S have short strokes too.....but my bike redlines at 10,500, where the Duke will only run to just over 9000, as I recall.
The Ducati makes plenty of low down grunt, but on top end I can blow my buddy's 916 into the weeds every time, but NOT on the short, twisty stuff where the torquier engine and better suspension on the Duke will leave me behind.
I'd like to have seen that Beetle blow the Mustang away, tho' -LMAO for sure.......bet he turned off asap.....
You should have seen em lol, beating his hand on the wheel as I pulled away. Now clear road, on down the road he should have come blowing past me in 5th once I topped out in 4th. That was a nice lil sleeper lol. low displacement, major head work n dual 40mm Dells lol, dual point mallory, dont member the cam specs.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Friend and Hero ...

Hey I like where this thread is handed don't mind me guys

BTW
hello PG you're going to cause me to wake up with a smile on my face. All this wonderful talk of high-performance equipment

Old 05-09-2008, 01:03 AM
jb

imho if u realy wanted to get more power out of a cbr1000f either turbo it, find some HRC cams, get the head blue printed and ported, fit a fuel injection kit, or bore it to 1100, gear it like shadow said, but u also have to remember these bike will get eatern on a light less powerful bike around corners because they are to heavy and only fast in a straight line realy

Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got beaten up in my supercharged MGB once, by a morris minivan !
Turned out he had a 4.2 V8 where the passenger seat would have been, and ran power to the BACK wheels - it's a long time ago, but I'll never forget it- I know how the Mustang boy must've felt......

Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

Hey I like where this thread is handed don't mind me guys

BTW
hello PG you're going to cause me to wake up with a smile on my face. All this wonderful talk of high-performance equipment
Howdy HC, yea too bad I cant ride as good as I use to drive (YET) lol.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:09 AM

It is all clear to me now. Fascinating. I must research the difference in torgue and bhp specs between Ducati 1098r and Hayabusa.