CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Being aware (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/being-aware-62228/)

Spawny 03-14-2008 02:29 PM

RE: Being aware

Yep, my biggest pet peeve are the ones who are on the cell phone while driving!! Also we have to remember that even if we make eye contact with an automobile driver....it doesn't mean they SEE you!! Just yesterday i could see the whites of the guys eyes as I was approaching an intersection, and I thought we had eye contact, but you guessed it....
I don't think he was "aware" of his surroundings and simply pulled out.... while I was grabbing and stepping on brake levers as if there were no tomorrow!!! Arrrgh[:@]

Whew, too close!!!

BLUE1000F 03-15-2008 04:49 AM

About speaking in the cellphone while you're driving...in Finland you get to pay fine for speaking in the phone while driving.
If the police see you do that they stop you and you get your"ticket".
Any similar rules/laws in other countries ?

DragonCBR 03-15-2008 05:11 AM

Hi all
yes here in Quebec they passed the same law, beleive me i am quite happy ... any of you knows the 50 commandmens of a motorcycle rider? to be reviewed each year.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ays/index.html

Bazman 03-15-2008 05:18 AM

I agree Shadow, being aware is what keeps us alive...

After riding bikes fora few years you develop a sixth sense as it were..

I find it even helps when driving my tintop...

Everyone should do a minimum of 6 months on a bike as part of their licence... Then they'll know and hopefully be more aware of us..

pfsnsd 03-15-2008 08:59 AM

Great topic Shadow! I am a new street rider as of april 07. Rode dirt bikes in my teens. My attitude is similar to floggers, I assume that every car I see is going to cut me off, on the highway or around town. I have had some close calls and this attitude has definitely saved me. My Dad and I were just in Florida for a couple days and he cut off a couple on a bike, he looked right at them and turned in. I was effen pissed, I let him know too.

As far as the cell phones go, it is illegal here in CT, USA, but not enforced. Every other A..hole is on the damn phone. It drives me insane, constantly cut off by these idiots. I want to build a website trashing these people, already bought the domain. cellstupidity.com

Shadow 03-15-2008 10:12 AM

We ride here with our lights on all the time, maybe those of you that don't could consider doing so, never mind the funny looks you may get....it's just another card you can play in the game called "staying alive" - those that point it out to you, have seen you, at least....:)
Cellphones here are not SUPPOSED to be used while driving, unless you have a hands free kit.
And people using Twat Navs (hi Flogger) are just as much at fault, and should get tickets.Big ones. More people are using more reflective gear lately too.Even on helmets. I do....
There's a DVD out in England called " a street, a track, an open road" which is pretty good, worth the money at $2. There's also a site I saw called, I think "ride to die.com" which is all about safety and having the sixth sense......and yes, Basman, it makes you more aware when in a tintop too.
Also, Basman, I tried to send you details of a website for stickers, keeps coming back.....?
Thanks for sharing, Dragon 64, anything that increases the chances is welcome.Some great advice there. One tip I could add.......
If you think a stationary car may change lanes, look at his front wheel - if it moves suddenly, he's thinking of coming out, so hit the anchors....

Flogger 03-15-2008 10:48 AM

Most people ride with their lights on in the UK. In France we got caught up in a little traffic, so when I was not too busy on my phone and playing with my Twat Nav etc (only joking), I noticed all the bikes had hazard warning lights on whilst filtering, even the scooters. Maybe a worthwhile tactic as the bikes were more noticeable to the traffic (and it beats the English idea of using main beam [8D]).

I love France for driving and riding, especially on the motorways where lane discipline is superb and people get out of the way for big red CBR missiles. Not so keen on the sneaky speed traps (just a very discreet camera lens pointing at you with the Police car tucked completely out of site). That's just not cricket (don't even go there Shadow!!!)

Shadow 03-15-2008 11:11 AM

What was that about cricket, Flogger ? he he he - at least WE can win (even if it was against Bangladesh)...again......and again.....:D

BTW That comment of your Dad's about assuming everyone else is out to kill you, is probably the soundest piece of advice he could have given you......or any of us, too.

My bike's flickers are always on, along with the headlights...something to do with US legislation ? Good idea, too

BLUE1000F 03-15-2008 12:48 PM

Law in Sweden to use lights all day...and night ;)
(Just think that no one sees you when you areout riding)

GILL 03-15-2008 09:05 PM

What are flickers?