CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Being aware

Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Being aware

I've resurrected this post from earlier this year, for the benefit of our newer members
Old guys, bear with me......

I've been reading a lot of posts lately about bike safety, rider training, wearing the right gear and so on, all of which I fully endorse....I wouldn't think of getting on the bike without all my gear, even to go to the local shop.... I do think, though, that being AWARE of what's going on around you on the road is as important in saving lives as the other skills you develope, like counter steering, and so on.....trying to think for all the guys around you, and predicting their actions(shouting at their kids, yapping on cellphones etc etc.)I think it was Yanagawa who was a world class superbike rider, killed recently on a scooter in Suzuki city, hit by a truck (?) - Nobody could doubt his riding ability, but perhaps awareness is something we could all improve on.....
Comments ?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Being aware

Gotta look out for those Camry Drivers.. . . . .

Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 AM

Here in Buenos Aires traffic is caos, it's completely collapsed. There are traffic jams every day, too many people driving their cars ALONE to get to work, so downtown is a mess.
Sadly that's where I work too, so I got me a 125cc scooter to get through all the stupid tin cans that block the way.
This is an every day sighting:

So, being aware? I wouldn't be writing this if I wasn't!
Yeah that's probably the most important skill to develop when riding a motorcycle. You can be the best pilot but if you're not fully aware of your surroundings and be able to anticipate what the heck are the vehicles around you going to do, then it's worth nothing. I had my two crashes, of course... no one said it's easy to learn, right?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 AM

Don't knock the Camry[:@]

Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Hey, Blue Mate, looks like MarkR hit a nerve.......he he
Now they'll probably all dump on you about your Toyota......[8D]

Ola' Daniel !- I see why you need the scooter - a Hurricane wouldn't fit between the cars !!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 AM

if im riding beside a car i always make sure they see me and not being in there blind spot,seen to many blinkers coming over on me at the last moment swerving back to there lane ....[:@]most of them on the cell phone .[:@]

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

It was Norifume Abe! It is sad that something like that happened, but yes, being aware of one's surroundings matters alot. The issue lately is riding attitude. Too many "kids", yes adults can fit that as well, going out hopping on a 150+ MPH crotch rocket and getting killed because they think they are invincible is senseless. I'm a motorcycle safety instructor and like I tell every class, there are two types of motorcyclists, those that have been down and those that will be. You just pray the one when you go down isn't a bad one, just something silly.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:46 PM

Yup, Norick Abe. Thanks Druid for the correction.The attached pic was apparently a young fellow who'd had his license three months, and struck the vehicle doing in excess of 200KPH (125MPH) which is a classic example of testosterone overcoming ability, sad to say......even if the people in the car had seen him before pulling out in front of him, their reactions, and his lack of skill, plus inability to react in time, was a recipe for diaster. Just highlights Druid's signature. There are just so many of these, and the classic response of "I didn't see you" should be replaced from time to time with "you were going so fast, I couldn't react in time" which is probably more accurate. Doesn't help the families of either group, though.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Nasty. Yes, I agree, cell phone users while driving is THE WORST!!

I have a great manual on driving techniques if anyone wants a copy I'll send it. Definitly worth the read...

Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Hi guys. Filtering here is great fun at the moment. Every other driver is playing with their **** Nav, IPOD or mobile phone in heavy traffic or at normal speeds. I see people filtering at silly speeds and they won't even see the car moving before it hits them.

I don't listen to my dad often, but one thing he told me as I went to buy my first bike was "imagine every other driver is out there to kill you". This has kept me safe for the last 19 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Being aware