CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   bad stator, regulators, or alternator? Help please!!!!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/bad-stator-regulators-alternator-help-please-148148/)

Sprock 08-03-2013 08:51 PM

Seem to remember they are different between mk1 & 2

Shadow 08-04-2013 11:54 AM

Don't think it'll work, sorry.

turbo787 08-05-2013 07:30 PM

Okis... Saw somewhere that they where the same until 88 or 89...It was a good deal though!!!!!1now I have to see where the problem was...Just bought a motobatt agm battery for her($100) and once I'm finished painting I will be testing to see what the problem may be...I hope it was just a battery problem since I had put a 12BS one which was small...Anyway, thanks for the replies and will be intouch...

turbo787 09-03-2013 08:02 PM

Hello guys...well, it's been quite a hectic issue with this... I bought the motobatt of the correct size, It's an "agm", and installed it on the bike. The box said that no initial charge was required so I didn't charge it. I apparently left the + terminal a little loose and after stopping for some gas on sunday ready for a ride with a group of friends she was dead. tightened all connections and push started her. everything was fine. We rode for about 15 min to the first stop and she wouldn't crank up but I was not concerned b/c it was a short ride and would not give it time to charge so we push started her again when we left. we rode for about an hour before another one of our destinations and she was reading around 12.4v to 12.7v with my voltmeter(took one just in case and some basic tools). Now she still would not crank and act like the battery was dead, and she was only reading now around 12v with the bike turned off. We took off again and on the way back she would start sputtering like she was running only on two cylinders and eventually loose all power and die. I would wait about 15 to 20 min and she would push start like nothing happened and she would read around 12.4v. We decided to head back home and she would die on me after riding for about 10 to 15 min. I switched batteries with a friend and she started fine. His also started perfect with my battery, his bike being a v star 650. so after riding for about 45 min the battery got drained. I finally made it home and she had shut off on my driveway. I went ahead and tried to crank and she started right up and read 12.9v. Took the new battery to the shop and gave it a charge of 12v/10amps for about 3hrs.put her on the bike, started perfectly and she was reading a little over 13v at idle and between 13.9v to 14.9v, even read 15.2v while giving it some throttle. I am stupified. The regulator I had bought used but in good working condition, the alternator seems to be charging and doing it's job, I got the correct size battery but she just likes to throw me a curve ball and be naughty after I rep[ainted her really nice and take care of her!!!!!!!Need some answers that could really help me figure this out. Could the cdi be bad and causing this issue when it gets hot? Can the regulator be the culprit again? Could it be that the stator is going and burning up my regulators and or making it act the way it does? Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input that has been given and will appreciate the help in getting this monkey off my back... Hope to hear from you guys soon and peace!!!!!!!!!!

Sprock 09-03-2013 08:23 PM

Well - in my ever so humble opinion - I'd never ever go with a used R/R as they are
in my opinion essentially a consumable item and do only one over time - wear & fail.

With a good new R/R you should be seeing 12.9 - 13.9

Do yourself a favor - put a brand spanking new R/R in it

turbo787 09-03-2013 10:27 PM

Thanks Sprock... Do you think, given the symptoms my baby has that the stator is good still? Could it be that the stator is messing up my R/R's?

cBrentb 09-04-2013 01:04 AM

had the same problem with mine. i replaced stator, battery and r/r. then used brand new wires and connections, soldered the stator wires (for less resistance) together, and its all good now. i ran the bike for years with an original style (cheapy) new r/r and it still never went bad after replacing the charging system with new.

i also hooked up a little cpu fan to the r/r just to keep a little air circulating around it. the r/r positve and negative wires were straight wired to the battery so there was absolutly no resistance like when it went through the fuse box. the positive side had a 30 amp inline fuse too. along with a koso digital volt meter to monitor the charging system at all times. i bought the cheapest type r/r's from off ebay too, lol. 10-12 dollar range for the old style r/r's i was getting. with these mods done i never had em burn up. even in summer heat in mid day traffic as my only transportation year round, for years. really reliable

lol, for the next time, if that r/r had burnt up, i had another modified cheap r/r to replace it with. i had filed the paint off the r/r where the heat sink fins are and attached another heat sink half the size of my fist to it with tiny tiny screws and pre drilled holes. the heat sink i attached also had a tiny little cpu fan built in. basically just extended the heat sink by an inch and a half so it could disapate heat waaaay better.

not every one has to do this and it might have been overkill but, i refused to pay out the nose for r/r's when i could modify the cheapies to do the trick. the original r/r's burn up so easily mostly because they do not disapate heat good enough due to such a small heat sink. then add poor connections and corrosion to the mix making them fry right up. btw, total cost was like 17 dollars per r/r, for the r/r and extra heat sink. i would get the heat sinks and cpu fans from a local computer store.

turbo787 09-04-2013 06:44 AM

Thanks for the replies... Will be checking all this out tomorrow... Thanks guys!!!!! Any more info is still welcomed:)...

turbo787 09-06-2013 06:40 PM

Hello guys...Back again with some news...After the long "symptoms" post I went ahead and did some stuff. I charged the battery for 3hrs @ 12v/10amps. Hasn't given any charging problems so far. I checked all the wires coming out of the stator to thr r/r for gronding as well as the r/r and everything was good from what we tested and everything is "working" but this is what she did today; After about 10 to 20 min of riding time she started sputtering again like if she was running out os gas or running on 2 cylinders. She died on me so I pulled over, put her in neutral and she cranked right up with absolutely no issues of sputtering or dead battery like before. I rode to my friend's house and was there for about 45min and took off to my house which is about a half mile away and she started doing the same thing once more after about the same ammount of minutes while riding. I rode her home with the sputtering issue and if I would give her throttle she would "try" to run better. Anyway, I don't know what to look for. Maybe is a bad ignition coil that after it gets hot it acts up? Could it be the cdi going bad? Could it be the pickup coil "sensor" bad? This is starting to get under my skin a little b/c I can't be guessing and spending unnecessary $. I don't mind paying for the correct fix 'cause she's my daily rider, so any ideas? How to test the parts? There's a teacher willing to look at her for me, he's had plenty of 'canes, but he lives a littlefar and I don't have the means to take her to him so I'm stuck for the moment... Well, thanks guys for your patience with me on this issue and hope to get her fixed up soon...

cBrentb 09-06-2013 07:55 PM

Hook up a volt meter to the battery while engine is at idle. It should be around 12.5-13 volts. Then throttle up to raise rpms, the voltage should go up to13.5-15 volts. If it doesn't the your regulator/ rectifier is bad. Aka- charging system check.