CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Attempt #2

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempt #2

Ok some back ground. Parked the girl when i busted my elbow, and she sat for about 6 months. Had surgery and rebuilt the elbow. Got back on and she ran fine, but doctor got upset so she got parked again. Another 4 months, in the garage and finally got cleared by the doc. Backed her out to go for a ride the day he cleared me and she would not run without choke and stumbbled badly under initial acceleration, hard acceleration and she ran like the old days.

Fought with it for several days thinking it would clear out, new gas, seafoam but never got better. Finally pulled out the sync tool and carb cleaner and started checking lines, vac hoses, and tried to sync. Not a chance she would sync at all.

Pulled the carbs, and removed the lower bowls and cleaned had some rust colored stains in all bowls, and the idle jets were all plugged, cleaned / blew them out and cleaned the bowls. hooked everything back up and tried to sync again. 3 hours and they never really got close, it would idle for a couple minutes and then die. It would start right back up, but die each time if left to idle. Finally gave up and put her back in the garage depressed. That was October, now weather is starting to warm up and I am looking to try again.

My thoughts, thinking there was still some "junk" in the tank and when i hooked everything back up and started her up she just sucked in some more nasty gas (Crosses fingers) looking to get inline filter installed as i discovered there is no filter stock from the factory. Looking to pull the carbs again, and clean out the bowls and jets once more.

Should i just break down and put rebuild kits in since I am having so many problems?

Keep in mind I am a novice at carb work.

Or should i try and tear down the top and bottom and clean? how delicate are the top end spring needle assembly? what about the top diaphragm? Are these easy to remove and clean without damaging them? Is there anything i should be aware of if I go that route? what do i gain from the disassembly of the top end versus the bottom of the carbs?

Sorry for all the questions but i really want to get my Girl back on the road.

Also as a last question, should i pass at this point and call in a pro? i have asked about and been told it is about 120 per carb for a rebuild and sync, so a little shy of 500us for the job at the local dealer.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Hi, I tend to leave carb work alone apart from blowing out the jets. But my last cbr prior to this one had been stood 2yrs outside. Rather than strip the carbs I drained the tank put a gallon of petrol in + 2 egg cups of acitone. I got it from my local chemist, or pharmacy as you call it. Or it is available on the internet. it disolves all the gum that forms when petrol is left to stand. After some coughing and a few back fires it fired up. That`s my 2 penneth. You will no doubt get more ideas on here the guys are very helpful.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Hi, me again. there are some sets of carbs on ebay both in the USA and UK if you wanted to go down that route.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Will give it a look when i get home. Might be an idea. Got a call back from a motorcycle mechanic i did some computer work for, he has offered to clean, rebuild and resync them for cost, no labor. Think i will take him up on the offer. 80$ total for the rebuild kits

Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by hotswopp
Will give it a look when i get home. Might be an idea. Got a call back from a motorcycle mechanic i did some computer work for, he has offered to clean, rebuild and resync them for cost, no labor. Think i will take him up on the offer. 80$ total for the rebuild kits
Sounds like a good deal about £50 I put my off side mid section fairing in for respray today. Its going to cost me £150. Ouch!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

It seems this tory has found its own happy ending.
Good luck with the carbs Hots. Let us know if that sorts your problem out.

Steve, are you sure acetone is safe on the rubber hoses? I know you're using it quite well diluted in the petrol but I would suggest you check if it's had any effect on the fuel pipes. It's quite an aggressive solvent.

£150 for a fairing respray sounds about right. Never easy to stomach though. Well done for keeping her in shape. Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Finally got her back Tuesday. Man is she running great again! very happy, the Mechanic said the carbs were really bad, he had to go through the m a couple times he said. then there were some vac hose issues, he swapped them out and synced them up perfect. she purrs like a kitten again, of course the next day it rained me out So much for the nice sunny Florida weather.

But all is well in the world again.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal, man. Nothin' like nice clean and tuned carbs!
I suggest a little seafoam now and again to try and keep 'em clean.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:07 PM

Hate to revive an old thread but the saga continues

Having ridden her now for a few days i discovered the gas mileage is horrible.

before problems 1 tank 4.5 gal us was about 145-150 miles before the stutter to go to reserve... i don't like riding below that much.

now 4.5 gallons approx and 96miles before stutter?

holly smoke batman that is like a 45+mile per tank loss.

She does run rich smelling, but runs smooth as can be. idles easily and doesn't need the choke to start anymore.... something i can adjust or is this back into the carbs?

Quick Reply: Attempt #2