CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Another good bit of kit (cheap)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great find there Bordo. Changing tyres here is part of the purchase price of the new tyres, so we don't bother with replacing them ourselves. I can't understand why you guys get shafted so badly for such a simple job. Even if you buy your tyres from one supplier and have them fitted elsewhere, it'll only cost you $9 per tyre here for fitting and balancing.

I have to agree with Hawk - fitting steel valves is the way to go. Much safer and not that expensive if you fit them yourself

Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
A word of warning Bordo, don't neglect to change the valves, in fact I'd change them for a set of these (or similar).

PAIR MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE BIKE QUAD BOLT CLAMP IN METAL TYRE VALVE + DUST CAPS | eBay

Didn't bother changing the valve on mine this time around and the valve core blew out when I was checking the tyre pressure. I mean the whole thing, all that was left was the rubber sleeving that attaches to the rim. God knows what would have happened if I'd been riding

Certainly learnt my lesson, somebody up there likes me.
Thanks Hawk,
Just ordered two pairs of these just now. I wouldn't have done it if someone hadn't of advised me. Thats the beauty of this site !

Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shadow
Great find there Bordo. Changing tyres here is part of the purchase price of the new tyres, so we don't bother with replacing them ourselves. I can't understand why you guys get shafted so badly for such a simple job. Even if you buy your tyres from one supplier and have them fitted elsewhere, it'll only cost you $9 per tyre here for fitting and balancing.

I have to agree with Hawk - fitting steel valves is the way to go. Much safer and not that expensive if you fit them yourself
Pete,
Its not so much the actual fitting charges mate its the price of the tyres. I can get a PAIR of PR2's sent to my door for just under $360. Yet one rear tyre here from through a stealer or bike tyre shop will cost $330. We are ripped off and its time to stand up and do our own. Cheers and Merry xmas.

Last edited by Bordo; 12-23-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slowpoke
Great. Now you need a wheel balancer: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2012AugLastPg.pdf
No need Slowpoke. Dynabeads fix that problem. Cheers.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can get a PAIR of PR2's sent to my door for just under $360.

Hey, Geoff
Our current price fitted + balanced for 2 PR2's is R2600 = Au$304
It's ridiculous because we're
1 much further away so higher shipping
2 THAT PRICE ISN'T A SPECIAL OFFER !!
GEE AND I THOUGHT WE WERE GETTING RIPPED OFF, BUT NOT COMPARED TO YOU GUYS.
BTW a friend of mine works for Dunlop and they get special prices on bike tyres - he offered me a set of tyres (can't remember what model) for my bike for Au$128.55 - that's imported from Japan and they are still making money !!!!!

On another subject, I just found another supplier for the cheapo vidcams, US$20.72 incl postage.
My replacement works like a charm and didn't blow off yesterday when I gave the bike everything for a short burst - speedo read 265KPH still accellerating so the mounts do hold well

Old 12-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Auld J B Dunlop would turn in his grave if he knew from where and for how much those
tyres were going for !

Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 AM

+1 on changing the valve stems. I neglected doing that the last go round and my rear tire started leaking.
Had to break them both down and replace the stems with metal ones this time.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ranchome
+1 on changing the valve stems. I neglected doing that the last go round and my rear tire started leaking.
Had to break them both down and replace the stems with metal ones this time.
Scared the bejesus outta me when mine went! Just touched it with the pressure gauge and it blew! Lucky it did.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Default Tire Changer

Hey:

Bordo, That is the same one I have. I got it here, and had to buy the top ATV part as well. It gets a ton of use and works fine. Just mount it to the floor. About the same price they sell for on sale, so that is a good deal, even for here. Portable Tire Changer

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 12-24-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shadow
I can get a PAIR of PR2's sent to my door for just under $360.

Hey, Geoff
Our current price fitted + balanced for 2 PR2's is R2600 = Au$304
It's ridiculous because we're
1 much further away so higher shipping
2 THAT PRICE ISN'T A SPECIAL OFFER !!
GEE AND I THOUGHT WE WERE GETTING RIPPED OFF, BUT NOT COMPARED TO YOU GUYS.
BTW a friend of mine works for Dunlop and they get special prices on bike tyres - he offered me a set of tyres (can't remember what model) for my bike for Au$128.55 - that's imported from Japan and they are still making money !!!!!

On another subject, I just found another supplier for the cheapo vidcams, US$20.72 incl postage.
My replacement works like a charm and didn't blow off yesterday when I gave the bike everything for a short burst - speedo read 265KPH still accellerating so the mounts do hold well
Yes mate I am so over taking it from these stealers that's its time to do my own. The stealers charge these massive prices to cover the massive overheads they have due to huge rents, government taxes and still trying to make money etc. A bike mechanic charges $100 per hour on average here for any type of work. That's why I undertake it myself where possible. I've been pretty sick the last couple of weeks and haven't had the time to do the tyres yet. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Another good bit of kit (cheap)