CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Annoying engine sound

Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Annoying engine sound

Please help me, identify the annoying sound, from my bike.

When i start the bike no sound, but after a couple of miles it comes, and after a couple of more miles, it gets to a level, i can live with.
In the video the sound, is not that loud, but in real life, it´s loud and annoying a hell.
If i turn the key off, when the sound starts, and back on, the sound level also goes down.
It only there, when the bike has been parked overnight, not if i take an 1 hour break, in riding my bike.
My best bet is left side, on the bottom of the engine ? maybe center bottom.
The bike rides fine.

My Movie - YouTube

1989 Cbr1000f 44000 km. next valve check 52000 km. Maybe valve check now ?
Sorry for my english i'm working on it

André S Hansen
Denmark

Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well ? for ya ? first

Since the last video from your 1st post back in 2009 - did you put in a new CCT ???

Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered Users

Yes new CCT 41000 Km, but not the chain. think i will check valves, next week, and change the CCT chain next spring. Love the bike, but that sound is getting on my nerves.

André S Hansen

Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3000 km = 1800 miles (approximately). It isn't unheard of for a cct to last only that long. However you hear the noise on the lower left. That means it's more likely the alternator bearings or alternator/starter drive chain. It may be my imagination, but what you recorded sounds a lot like what my alternator did when the bearings died. If that's what it is, and you are mechanically inclined, it isn't a real tough job to replace them.

Your Honda dealer may tell you a new rotor is needed to get the bearings. Not true. They are listed for at least one other Honda model - the Reflex - and can be purchased separately. (see https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...-dealer-42812/).

If your alternator chain is loose, HenryM came up with a fix that doesn't involve splitting cases:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-8...k-101449/page3

Click the link given. If it doesn't work PM me and I'll send the post to you - I saved it on my hard drive.

Best of luck. As for your use of English, it's better than some seen from those living in the U.S.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Registered Users

Thanks, now i got some ideas, where to look and listen, maybe tomorrow i will look into it.

Man it's getting cold here, just burght a Kymco Super 8, 50 winter driving, whum whum

Will post update, if i get close to identification the problem.

André S Hansen
Denmark

Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Good luck with it André , keep us tuned in on what you find man !

Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Hi Bobblyboy,
I can tell you straight, noises like this can be very hard to diagnose and even harder to fix.
You hit the nail on the head though. She rides fine! If that's the case, just keep riding and don't let the sound of your own worrying put you off.
Since I had to rebuild the bottom end of my engine I've had a ticking which started about 2000 miles after she'd been back on the road. I've checked everything I can think of without tearing the thing down again and replacing everything I hadn't already. Come to think of it I actually did renew the big end shells soon afterwards but that wasn't the problem.
I don't think your noise is CCT or chain. It doesn't sound like a bearing noise. It doesn't sound quite like the high pitched tick tick I have either but not too far off.
DRam, did yours really sound like this? If it's alternator bearings I'd be surprised but happy to try changing mine if you'll elaborate a bit. Maybe Bobs could save his heartache too.
Anyway Bobs, she looks and sounds sweet apart from the tick. Just keep riding her man.
I've done 32K miles with that noise and it's never got worse so I don't think it's anything terminal.
Let us know if you sort it. I'll be the first to jump for joy.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 PM

May sound funny, but use a large screwdriver, with a wood handle if you can find one. Plastic is OK too. Place tip on different areas of the engine, and place your ear to the handle. It makes the sound easier to hear, once the area is found, look at the engine drawing in the manual and see whats near that spot. May help.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:03 AM

Here's the cheap Amazon equivalent too Bud ....... but a very good tip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Annoying engine sound