CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Air filter access

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter access

This should be sooooo easy I know. So the tank on my '96 1000F is propped on it's tail. I can see the box behind the carbs but can not see any way to get into it. It looks like it's a one piece unit from the intake boots back and downwards..........
Tried searching posts, got nothing.
Thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:09 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Air filter access

You canĀ“t access it from underneith the tank. You need to remove the right side fairing part under the front part of the saddle. Then you can see the lid of the air box, remove the breather tube and the screws holding the lid, and pull out the air filter.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 PM

What he said :-)

Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 PM

Hey thanks! Looks like I've got a K&N in there, still looks clean. Now with Vance and Hines 4-1 and a K&N filter, what are the chances that it's jetted too??? Just bought this bike with 14,600 miles. It runs fine without any hesitation throughout the powerband.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: FruntRangeBkr

Hey thanks! Looks like I've got a K&N in there, still looks clean. Now with Vance and Hines 4-1 and a K&N filter, what are the chances that it's jetted too??? Just bought this bike with 14,600 miles. It runs fine without any hesitation throughout the powerband.
Well leave well alone then ...
And just ride the bugger ...
John933

Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 PM

Easiest way to find out if it's jetted is while the tank is propped up, remove one of the carb tops, pull the spring out with the needle and see if it an adjustable needle (differernt places for the circlip). If yes, then 99% chance it is jetted. If not, then 99% chance it is not jetted.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 PM

I think I'll just ride the bugger.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:39 AM

Something to keep an eye on. The VH pipe uses thin wall steel (had one on mine when I bought it). I took it off one winter to clean the rust off and recoat it. During the cleaning with a wire wheel on a screwdriver, the pipe developed a hole where the 4 pipes come into 1. Everytime I cleaned a little further back to get to clean metal, the hole just kept getting bigger. Eventually, I just grabbed the headers and split them in half and found a stick setup on ebay.

In other words: keep an eye on the pipes.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:09 AM

Just be careful with that. My K&N looked clean, but I decided to clean it anyway. Lucky I did as the colour of the detergent was very dirty.

It costs bugga all to clean & re-oil so I'd just do it IMHO.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also... grease the two end edges of the filter,a light coat, to "set" the seal. becarefull to insert the filter "level",to give it every chance to do it's job. i sill laugh... I bought my 94 f, and the guy said "I just serviced it", so I justchecked the oil and rode it a while. Got "boggy", finally checked the K&N, clean but looked like a cherry glzed donut... way to much filter oil!!!! cleaned, and bog disapeared!!! follow K&N directions... never hurts!!!!
free and clean, Ripp'n

Quick Reply: Air filter access