CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Aftermarket exhaust with centerstand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust with centerstand?

I've seen pics of a 2nd gen CBR1000 w. a 4-1 pipe on it, and the centerstand in place. My bike has an older VH SS2R pipe and no centerstand (came that way). I assume it's like that because the center stand wouldn't fit, although I haven't tried. Do any of you know of a pipe that will definitely work with the centerstand? I'd go back to OEM, but I'd rather have the 40 pound savings than the slightly improved bottom end.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya could have a welding shop "custom" one up for ya..
One of my neighbors is a Welding Guru (In the welding business)
He says ..........it's a snap

My thinking for myself is to get a used Stock Set and have him mod
the end box to a single outlet to suit whatever can I decide to use.
I'm leaning towards a good Arrow or Remus Dual Out Single Can.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The best of both worlds would be to fit a slip-on to the factory system. The trouble you have now is, if the bike is running fine, someone has re-jetted the carbs. If you go with something other than 4-1 you may have to re-jet back to factory.

The factory 4-1-2 gives good top, mid and low end performance. The slip-on takes you to 4-1-1 with the same end results while keeping what's under the bike that you can't see. The 1 in the x-1-x is a collector box that helps mid and low end. You may have been looking at a bike with a slip-on thinking it was a 4-1 set-up.

The V&H systems needed the center stand to be removed for installation. They are an all out performance pipe for racing where high end is needed. V&H made the pipes knowing that the racer would remove the center stand for racing and did not care.

The re-jetting thing may be a pain if you use something other than a pure performance system.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-31-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added more high tech stuff.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

These would be lighter than factory but you they slip on to the original x-1-x collector.

http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?k=MT-XH10L

Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have fitted V&H SS2 4 into 1 on mine and the centre stand did not need removing.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 AM

I've just modded my standard system. Chopped off most of the collector, removed the remaining gauze & then used two 2 1/2" 90 deg mandrel bends to make the rest of the pipe. I then put an old slip on from my 1100 on. This configuration gives me 4-2-1 & I can still use the centre stand as long as I weld the stop for it when it's in the up position.If it does what I hope I'll later take it to Redline Exhaust & have it done properly. Redline told me to use 2 1/4 bends but 2 1/2 were just easier. He also said that he modified a set of stock pipes the same as ours for a racing bike. That year the bike won the superbike championship using the stock headers. By the way. Redline exhaust are here in Adelaide South Australia & he only does bike exhausts.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by davethepom
I have fitted V&H SS2 4 into 1 on mine and the centre stand did not need removing.
Interesting...maybe soembody just took mine off, and the stand would actually work with it. I'm looking for a stand (one on Ebay is too much $$) and I'll try it.

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
The best of both worlds would be to fit a slip-on to the factory system. The trouble you have now is, if the bike is running fine, someone has re-jetted the carbs. If you go with something other than 4-1 you may have to re-jet back to factory.

The factory 4-1-2 gives good top, mid and low end performance. The slip-on takes you to 4-1-1 with the same end results while keeping what's under the bike that you can't see. The 1 in the x-1-x is a collector box that helps mid and low end. You may have been looking at a bike with a slip-on thinking it was a 4-1 set-up.

The V&H systems needed the center stand to be removed for installation. They are an all out performance pipe for racing where high end is needed. V&H made the pipes knowing that the racer would remove the center stand for racing and did not care.

The re-jetting thing may be a pain if you use something other than a pure performance system.
re: jetting: not a problem...I spent all day a few Saturdays ago jetting the bike...it was terrible as I bought it. You can get the carbs off, adjusted, and back on again in about 10 minutes (if the bodywork is off) once you've done it a few times. It's running great now though! I ended up with a set of Factory Pro needles in it, and it's great now...just couldn't get smooth throttle response off-idle with the stock needles no matter where I put 'em.

re: various pipes. Most of that is correct, but the VH SS2 pipe is a street pipe, not a race pipe (the 'SS' stands for 'super street'). Nobody ever raced a 2nd gen CBR1000 (nobody who wanted to win anyway ) and if they did, it was drag racing, not road racing, and that pipe is not a drag racing pipe. The big marketing point of the SS2 pipes when they came out was that they were quiet enough for street use, but still worked well/looked cool. Nobody racing cares how quiet it is.

The bike I saw had a full pipe on it, not a slip-on. I'm interested in trying a stand now that the bloke above said that it worked with his...I'll post up and let folks now what happens.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM

I have a V7H SS2R on my '87. The centre stand fits fine, although I took it off because I like the look better without it.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust with centerstand?