CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

94 questions, fuel I think

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 questions, fuel I think

So I bought this a couple months ago. Seems to run good over all but what do I know.
Bike has about 11,000 miles on it, history is unknown to me except it had been crashed more than once. It rides straight and no other visual problems that I noticed.

Issue#1- Most of the riding takes place around a city, 25-60mph. I do take it on the x-way a couple times a week for fun. Anyway the issue is when I take off from a light, if I don't take it up to about 6,000 rpm on the shift to second it will sometimes stick at neutral.Not a big deal really but I just want to know if it's a characteristic or if something needs to be adjusted.

Issue#2-I have read the posts on the forks pertaining to the "too soft" feel. I will try that 10mm over fill with mine. Thanks.

Issue#3- upon letting off the thorottle when above, I'd say 4,000 rpm, and letting it slow down there is popping and again just curious if this is normal. The bile does have an aftermarket Two Brothers Racingexhaust and I am just assuming the carbs were rejetted for it. I run premium fuel.

I guess I am really just lookin for a place to start. If this is normal, fine. If not, your help would be appreciated. Yes I am new to bikes somewhat. This is my first real street bike. Last one was a 1980 cb 750f. Won't even get into that but I am not afraid to do the work. Thanks to who ever had the cb1000f manual available for download.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Default RE: 94 questions, fuel I think

I'm sorry I forgot to write in the first post that sometimes there is hesitation when lightly accelerating until it kicks in and jerks my head back. Is this just my hand or ????.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the play on your gearshift - this is NOT normal. Possibly crash damage to the selector shaft.
My bike "pops" too, but you may have exhaust leak at the headers. Check it.
Re lube your throttle cables - they're sticking, or your carbs need a clean.
Welcome to the Forum !

Old 07-26-2008, 04:36 PM

welcome to the forum. sorry i cant offer you any mechanical advice, but i can tell you these are awesome bikes! i seem to have been fortunate. mine was well maintained other than road rash on one side. Im very impressed with the reliability of the Hurricane and maybe you can too once you get it up to par on maintenance.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:53 PM

Thank you so much. I do really enjoy this bike. All the power and so comfortable. Heavy but it just feels so right.

Thanks Shadow, I will look into that the next time it rains. I assume I will be looking for visible damage to the shifter and the external part of the shaft. I also assume there should be no in and out play what so ever. I don't think there is but then again I haven't really checked.

As for the throttle cables, do I need the special lubing tool the fits over the cable so it directs the fluid down the cable housing? Or can I just work it in by moving the cable back and forth with it disconnected.

Sorry for the stupid questions but I just want to know what to expect. Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 AM

F'in board..... I've tried to posta response but no....

Old 07-27-2008, 06:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lube tool is the easiest
Gearshift is adjustable - check for play.....

Old 07-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Make sure you have the proper amount of slack set in your throttle cables when you reinstall them. I believe the throttle should rotate 1-3mm before opening the carb slides. Too little or no slack at all will make the throttle very twitchy and sensitive. Also, make sure your drive chain is properly adjusted. Too much slack here and on/off throttle transitions are very jerky and makes it difficult to ride the bike smoothly.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure that the shifter is in a good spot for the best leverage. I have to hold mine up until I feel it shift to second.
With the TB you will get a little popping as there is not much back pressure. If the popping gets worse it would be a sign that the carbs need to be synced.

If the bike stumbles at the lights, try the middle grade gas.

Captain, you can post crap all day long but the damn board knows when you are trying to post something that is useful.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM

If you look at the splined shaft where the shifter mounts,

Quick Reply: 94 questions, fuel I think