CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

93 cbr1000f hard start wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sure cause the previous owner says it ran fine before it was dumped (not too bad) and sat. the diaphragm on this petcock is held together by factory rivets. no biggie there....not my first worry. ill snap a pic of it.....as soon as i figure out how to post it.
yes....runs fine with or without the choke on but again as soon as i let go of the throttle it will die. have to choke it again or it will not start...then while throttling i can take choke off. i had it throttled almost to redline for just a sec just to hear what it sounded like....to my wifes utter dissatisfaction lol! i still have the carbs off at the moment....havent torn them apart yet. how ever am i supposed to adjust the carb if it wont even idle tho? i love learning and figuring this $hit out so again thx for your input.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it runs fine with a partly open throttle, and would run indefinately, it must either be blocked idle jets (I know you've cleaned the carbs but thay gel stuff that forms can be hard to shift) or the mechanism from the idle screw broken or missing something.

You can bench sync the carbs with a drill bit to set them all close enough for it to run. I haven't done it on one of these but have on others.

Will it run just above idle or does it need to be half revs or so to keep going? I know...always with the questions.

I'm clutching at straws but it's hard to fault find from this far.

If you add where you are in your details (just generally i mean) one of the other members might be close enough to come and help you mate...probably cost you beer though.

Somebody might have a set of carbs that they will lend you to rule out anything else too. There's some good people on here who might give you a real (as opposed to virtual) hand.

Press on mate!

Just tell your wife that you have to open it up to blow out the blockages.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 AM

took the **** off to show u the rivets. this joint is where it is leaking fuel

Attached Thumbnails 93 cbr1000f hard start wont idle-iphone-ryan-001.jpg  
Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 AM

no no keep the questions coming! im in the midwest. nebraska. one hundred and freakin five out today (temp). anyway......plugs appear to be the same. 2 of them were quite a bit cleaner than the other two tho.....as in just not quite as shiny. not bad....but just a bit. ok....will idle right around the 2...1.5 area while holding throttle steady without dying. last time i had carbs off i only cleaned bowls...nothing else so perhaps it is a jet. i noticed 2 of the float pins were stuck also and should have removed them then. they broke free with little effort so i left them alone. good god....possibly all this could have been avoided if i had just cleaned further....duh.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't sweat it mate, just clean the carbs very well. Put the in line filter in, like Sprock said, and run a few hundred mils of fuel through the fuel line, with the vacuum valve held open by sucking on it, just to be sure all the crap is out of the line. You don't want anything getting in your nice clean carbies!

Fuel turns to a rubbery gel **** after a while in storage and will be hard to shift. I've never used the magic 'Seafoam' and don't know what the equivalent is over here but, from what I've heard on here, it'd be the go to get the last remnants of crap out of your fuel system once it's up and running.

This still may not be the cause of your grief but you've got no chance without a clean fuel system and a good spark. Make sure both of those are 100% before going any further.

I wouldn't be worrying about a minor fuel leak from the petcock at this stage. As long as it's letting fuel through with full flow (and not p1ssing fuel everywhere in a dangerous fashion), it'll do until the bike's running.

I'll try to get out in the morning before work and have a look at the petcock assembly on mine to compare (it's a mark 3 too).

Old 07-20-2011, 09:41 AM

If you haven't done this you might want to try what I did when I ressurected my CBR after not riding it for a few years.
While I had the cabs off for cleaning I removed all the jets, including the mixture screws. I spreyed carb cleaner with the straw extention into all the openings and mad sure the fluid came out the proper openings. It's those passages inside the carb that will clog too. Once the carbs are reasonably clean the next critical part imo is resetting the mix screws to the stock setting. Asumming the jets are clear misajusted mix screws can make for hard starting. My experience says that the engine is very sensitive to the setting of these screws.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 PM

ok all thx again. will do all the above..and looks like ill need to read up on stock settings for the mixing screws too. the weather here has been 100+ for 3 days now making the garage (my temporary shop) totally unbearable. youve all been great and very patient...thx for that. will post again soon...OH....and talked w previous owner today who said it never idled for him either until he road 10 miles or so. wtf? but same thing would happen he next day he would start it up. he bought it from someone else after sitting 2 years, and then i bought it after sitting another year or so.....so ur probably spot on with the gummed up fuel crap hidden somewhere in there. with ur help...ill make her sing again, yes? anyway....ty ty ty!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Order a replacement petcok kit from Ebay drill out the rivets and use good stainless sheet metal screws to install it and you should be fine. for 93 and up, may work for 89+
Honda CBR1000F CBR Petcock Gas Valve Kit 1993-96 | eBay

Then: Before you seafoam it take the carbs back off and clean both the main and pilot jets put a good see thru fiter on it Marine type from Walmart or a boat marina works great and has cheap replacement in filters that come in a 3 pack (you may need them all if the tank is rusty or dirty) or its equal like Sprock suggested. Also clean the floats if they are suspect but be careful with them.
Then after you got it all together add double the amount of seafoam that is reccomended to your fuel tank, or about half a can what ever is less and put the best premium (hitest) fuel in it with no gasahol (Alcohol) in it you can find, run that tank completely thru it and you should be good to go carb wise. It may put out a funny white smoke and smell, thats normal. You may have to get your valves adjusted and your carbs sync'd/balanced to get it all perfect.

Good Luck

BTW, IT's HOT HERE TOO 102F temp HEAT INDEX OF 111 and a few hours to go before we hit the hottest part of the day, but thats Summer here. Most days have been over 90 since April, and August ain't here yet.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 07-21-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 PM

wow. thank u all very much. excellent instructions as well. and hey....cbr1988...um yeah...that is hot. u win. thx for the heads up on the kit from ebay as well.
ill post if i have any other questions AND obviously when i get er back together.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 AM

guys i have another small issue...these slow jets are 100% blocked and im having trouble getting anything thru them. i have a tip cleaner set and they just arent strong enough to penetrate the blockage no matter what i do. ive tried soaking the tip of the slowjet with carb cleaner but no luck thusfar. i saw in another howto post someone using a baggie tie from a loaf of bread to penetrate jet. im using the smallest tip cleaner and made sort of a t handle out of it so i can screw while applying light pressure. a stick pin is also too large in diameter to fit. also 2 of the four main jets were 100% blocked...go figure. any thoughts? can these slowjets be removed, unscrewed?

Attached Thumbnails 93 cbr1000f hard start wont idle-picture-007.jpg  

Quick Reply: 93 cbr1000f hard start wont idle