CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

'91 CBR1000F - Recommissioning after 8 years in storage..!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 CBR1000F - Recommissioning after 8 years in storage..!

Now then Gents, noob!

I've joined this forum as I have recently acquired a '91 CBR1000F, current bike is a Suzuki GSF600N. I'm quite mechanically capable and intend get the CBR MOT'd and running again..

The bike was given to me by a friend who needed the space in garage, he rode it regularly and had it quite well serviced, it was running fine before it went into storage, however, it went into storage in a bit of a rush and wasn't very well prepped - even now it still has 3/4 of a tank of fuel in! It's done 51k miles..

I haven't fired it up yet and wont until I get a few things done, it needs a new battery for a start and some fresh fuel.

I was after some advice on pre-starting prep. I was going to do the following:
-Change oil + filter
-Flush fuel system, drain carbs etc and run fresh fuel through.
-Take the plugs out, stick the g'box in top gear and hand crank (with the back wheel) the engine to get the oil moving about.
-Stick a new battery on! (is it OK to jump a bike from a car just out of interest??)

Would you say the following is necessary:
-Take the plugs out and squirt some oil down the bores (if so, bike engine oil? and how much??) leave for a few days to soak in then crank by hand/starter
-Take the valve covers off and coat the valve train with oil (to prevent dry running?)

After that, I was going to give it a good clean, change all the fluids + oils etc, get it MOT'd and go..

I will keep everyone posted with how I get on!

I look forward to hearing your advice,

Cheers, Jerboa

Attached Thumbnails '91 CBR1000F - Recommissioning after 8 years in storage..!-cbr.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off... Welcome to the forum!
That's a nice looking 1000F.

Sounds like you're on the right track with prepping it. If it were me, I would squirt some oil in the cylinders. If you have a squirt can, I'd just give it a few. Otherwise, maybe 10mL or so before you hand crank. Just regular engine oil.

Yeah, it's ok to jump a bike off a car. Just make sure the car isn't running. People have reported that it can screw up electrics. I haven't had that issue, but I'm not taking any chances, either.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered mate. I'd definately squirt oil in the bores and leave overnight. The cam oiling would be a good idea too. You'd probably get away without but I'd be cringing for the first few cranks if I didn't do it. I think it's fine to jump start from a car.

I'd probably drop the old oil and re-fill with some cheaper bike oil (just a straight mineral one) then get it fired up and up to temp. Then I'd drop the cheap oil and fill with some good stuff.

Have a real good look in the fuel tank too. Condensation would've formed and you could have ended up with water in the bottom of it. I wouldn't be surprised if the petcock rubber is rooted too so it wouldn't hurt to pull it apart also.

Things like fork seals will show up in the MOT anyway.

I wish I had friends like yours Keep us posted.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've scored one hell of a feebie there Jerboa!! Put that friend on your Christmas card list

The other guys have said it all already, but if you get a chance fill in your location details on your profile, you never know, we might be neighbours!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A warm welcome to the asylum !
I see some of the inmates have given you some pointers, and covered all the major bases.
When it's running, put a voltmeter across the battery to check charging rate - +13.5V above 3000 RPM. Then you'll know your stator and charging system are OK.

Throw the tyres away - they'll be shagged.............

Oh and I gave you an avatar - just so you feel at home.....

Last edited by Shadow; 08-05-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 AM

Thanks for your replies guys, and the warm welcome. I will get out and pick up a few bits for it over the next few days. Things like rotting seals in petcocks worry me though - faulty petcock on my bandit has caused me a few issues to date..

If I take the rocker cover off (you'll have to excuse me, I actually come from a world of land rovers and cant think of what else a rocker cover would be called!) will I need a new gasket or are they hardy enough to go again?

P.S - what should one do with 10+ litres of old petrol?? I have a TDi Discovery, so it wont go in there..! Might see if it'll go in a mates series 3 landy..

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jerboa85

If I take the rocker cover off (you'll have to excuse me, I actually come from a world of land rovers and cant think of what else a rocker cover would be called!) will I need a new gasket or are they hardy enough to go again?

P.S - what should one do with 10+ litres of old petrol?? I have a TDi Discovery, so it wont go in there..! Might see if it'll go in a mates series 3 landy..
Rocker cover will do
It's a tappet cover down here in Zulu country I've used mine 3 times - easy if you're careful.

The old fuel would go well in the nearest Harley................pref without telling the owner

If you're in the UK, Try
silvers spares or wemoto.....both very good

Last edited by Shadow; 08-05-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Welcome and congrats. In the US we call it a valve cover but, I knew exactly what you ment by rocker cover so that's good too.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice looking bike!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM

Nice ride matey! Watch yer water hoses too as they have no doubt, also perished somewhat over the years

Quick Reply: '91 CBR1000F - Recommissioning after 8 years in storage..!